ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

How to go about creating reusable title/annotation styles?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Barnaby Keene
How to go about creating reusable title/annotation styles?
on Feb 18, 2015 at 7:17:46 pm

Hi, I'm playing around learning some video production for future projects and I have hit a brick wall in terms of workflow/pipeline with titles/text/annotations or whatever you want to call them.

Stuff like this:

(Stuart Brown - Ahoy)

(Five Facts - Rooster Teeth)

(Seagate Interview - Newegg TV)

(Crude Awakening - Vice)

What I'm doing at the moment is titles and annotations over clips in Premiere with specific graphical styles but I can't figure out a fast and efficient workflow between Pr and Ae. By that I mean setting up the style I want first using After Effects (with some effects and animation etc) then simply using that style I've made in Premiere to quickly add my annotations where I only change the text and don't have to do a lot of repeated steps for every annotation.

What I've done so far is make this decent looking overlay that pops up from the bottom with the text I want. I mucked around with expressions so I could move the text and the grey box around it all with 1 slider. (The max height is also dependent on the amount of lines in the text, quite proud of that one for a first try at expressions!), screenshot:

But the only way I can think of putting this into Premiere is to make a copy of the AEP file for each video with a comp for each annotation (or one comp for the entire video where the text changes on keyframes), but then doing it in AE is harder without the clips and audio. There must be an easier workflow but I just haven't figured it out yet!

I tried using the "Titles" feature of Premiere but it didn't seem to offer the same amount of customisation as an AE comp.

All in all, I just want a fast solution so I can design the style beforehand and when it comes to the project with a large amount of 10min+ videos I can simply add an annotation and change the text without copying/remaking the same graphical style I want.

Thanks in advance! :)

Computer Science student with an interest in video editing, motion graphics and various forms of digital art. (@SouthclawJK)

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: How to go about creating reusable title/annotation styles?
on Feb 19, 2015 at 2:57:40 pm

After Effects and Premiere Pro have a feature called Live Text Templates which allow you to design in Ae and fill in the content in Pr:
https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/editable-text-templates.html

And since you're into expressions, check out my technique for rigging Ae templates in Pr:
http://www.keenlive.com/renderbreak/2014/06/rigging-ae-comps-with-the-new-t...

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Barnaby Keene
Re: How to go about creating reusable title/annotation styles?
on Mar 3, 2015 at 10:05:19 pm

This is absolutely perfect! I guess I should read the docs some time...

Your rigging technique is also great, this is going to ease my workload a huge amount, thanks for sharing!

Computer Science student with an interest in video editing, motion graphics and various forms of digital art. (@SouthclawJK)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]