ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Anyone using the new desktop cpu laptops like Origin or Sanger?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Morton
Anyone using the new desktop cpu laptops like Origin or Sanger?
on Feb 18, 2015 at 2:32:39 am

hi all. I've been kicking around what to do for a mobile editting solution or just a new editting computer.
While I know I will be losing some power having a desktop i7 cpu & an 980m should be near high end desktop performance.
Anyone using a a new I7 desktop CPU in a laptop for editing Adobe Premiere Pro CC?

Thanks for the replies and your thoughts.

Jason
@IdeaJason

(IdeaJason is now my legal real name)

Return to posts index

Jason Morton
Re: Anyone using the new "Desktop CPU" laptops like Origin or Sanger?
on Feb 18, 2015 at 6:19:12 pm

Sorry the auto correct has misspelled words. I blame my adorable 3 year old daughter.

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
Re: Anyone using the new "Desktop CPU" laptops like Origin or Sanger?
on Mar 2, 2015 at 9:09:10 pm

I used several 'lap stations' over the years…Boxx, several Sagers, Clevos, etc. They all pretty much perform as expected. I'd be cautious of any of the models in the sleekest cases however as they get hot and the sleek ones get hottest with fewer fans and airspace. I once delaminated a DVD in one of these machines…it had a RAID 0 internal drive set right next to the DVD drive, and it was toasty.

There are several options like the Lenovo W550s that are a pretty good balance in my experience. I'd also be aware that gaming GPU cards can sometimes run hotter than 'professional' GPU cards (GTX vs Quadro for instance). I've had very good luck with Quadro cards in laptops, though my bad experiences with ATI cards pre-date the AMD acquisition of the company so they might be fine as well in terms of current product line…

If you're on a budget (and who here isn't?) my personal recommendation in config is to drop to the second best CPU and max out the RAM (or buy the best CPU…and max out the RAM)… I guess the key there is to…max out the RAM.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Video Producer at I-CAR

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]