ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Offline editing a 4K Concert to be onlined / colored / mastered in 4k. Can someone check my workflow?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryan Roberts
Offline editing a 4K Concert to be onlined / colored / mastered in 4k. Can someone check my workflow?
on Feb 16, 2015 at 9:56:19 pm

Hi all,

For the next couple weeks, I'm cutting a big live concert that's going to be making the rounds Xmas '15 and it was shot in 4K and provided offline res (1080p) files for me to cut with that were automatically exported using a Ki Pro. Unfortunately, the Ki Pro 1080p doesn't have the same file names or the same media durations as the raw 4K media from the SxS cards BUT there is perfect timecode sync between the two. There's 10 cameras. I've run some tests in Premiere and I CAN make my 1080p files offline by selecting the clips in the timeline, right click, "make offline" and then when I choose the corresponding 4K master file which shares the same TC and frame rate using "link media", it will link up successfully for that edit. The thing that throws me is that Premiere maintains the original 1080p filename in my timeline even though it's linking to the 4k master (I've verified that it is in fact pointing to the 4K master) so if I were to export an EDL, I'd assume it's still going to list TC information from the 1080p files. Since Premiere does this, my plan is to export a 4K master at whatever spec the online / color house requests so they don't need to deal with my EDL.

So to rehash, my planned editing workflow is:
Cut concert multicam with 1080p files from the Ki Pro. Lock picture after notes etc. Make my 1080p files offline using "make offline", then "link media" one by one to the 4k master files (thankfully, they ran about 30 minutes for each of the Ki Pro 1080p files and the 4K masters so it's not an impossible amount of footage - maybe around 40 relinks to carefully do). After all media is linked to 4k masters, copy these edits into a new 4k timeline and export for online house as necessary. Eh?

Thanks as always.

EDITOR
Features : Television : Commercial
http://www.BryanRobertsEditor.com

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Offline editing a 4K Concert to be onlined / colored / mastered in 4k. Can someone check my workflow?
on Feb 16, 2015 at 10:05:04 pm

Since it's not a lot of files, what about re-naming your Ki-Pro files to match the 4k originals? Then you'd maintain the same naming structure throughout the entire process.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Craft and Career Advice & Training from real Working Creative Professionals

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Bryan Roberts
Re: Offline editing a 4K Concert to be onlined / colored / mastered in 4k. Can someone check my workflow?
on Feb 16, 2015 at 10:12:38 pm

Hi Walter. I thought about doing this but the issue is there's a backup of all my raw media in another state in a secure location and I worried that if something catastrophic happened, this media wouldn't immediately match up in my project. Perhaps it's still worth doing though, hmmm...

EDITOR

Return to posts index

Craig Ricker
on Feb 16, 2015 at 10:31:15 pm

Just make a text file that states, what you renamed from and too, and tell your secure storage facility to hang onto it. That way they can always rename their files if need be.

Mac Pro 2.4Ghz 8 core, 24GB RAM, GTX 670

Return to posts index

Bryan Roberts
on Feb 16, 2015 at 10:41:32 pm
Last Edited By Bryan Roberts on Feb 16, 2015 at 10:42:41 pm

Ah, sorry guys. One wrinkle I left out that's potentially huge. There's not always a 1:1 ratio of clips from 4k masters to 1080p files. Sometimes the Ki Pro files run for 2 of the 4k files. On average, there'll be 4 1080p Ki Pro files for an entire show from one angle to cut with which are matched by 5 or 6 4K master files. Thankfully, they never cut roll on the 4k files in the middle of a song but there isn't a one to one ratio which means inevitably, I'll be trying to relink a file to it's 4k master and on one song might need one 4k master file but for the next song with the same 1080p file, will need the next 4k master. The issue becomes that when I relink on one song, it'll be correct for that track but could be incorrect for the next track. In this case, should I be making duplicate 1080p files in my finder before I start to correspond with the 4k masters so that I can have this 1:1 ratio or is there some other way that would be better?

EDITOR

Return to posts index

Bryan Roberts
on Feb 16, 2015 at 11:48:51 pm

Hey guys, I did some more testing and found something out that hopefully helps one of you down the line. I was starting to create dupes of my longer 1080p files in order to have multiple instances of them to match up 1:1 with my 4k master files but creating new files of these 1080p clips in my finder was taking a long time as each one is quite long. In Premiere, if you duplicate the instance of a file, even though they start off pointing to the same file, you can point each instance at different files and it'll retain that information. IE, there's no reason to physically create these dummy 1080p files, I can just create duplicates in Premiere instantly and point different files to each one as needed. Anyways, hope that makes sense and again, if someone sees something hugely wrong with my approach, please let me know!

EDITOR

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]