ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Is there an output resolution limit in Adobe Media Encoder?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Roberts
Is there an output resolution limit in Adobe Media Encoder?
on Feb 16, 2015 at 2:46:23 pm

Hey all,

I can't seem to find any info on this with a Google search, but I was wondering if anyone knew of an upper limit in output resolutions for Adobe Media Encoder?

I have a requirement to export a video at a resolution of 9600x2160, which is the native resolution of a 5x2 video wall that it is to be displayed on. It is also a requirement that the video be in a format playable by Google Chrome.

So, this has lead me to look at Ogg Theora. Theora.org suggests the codec can handle resolutions up to 1048560 × 1048560, but while I can create and work with a project at my required resolution without any problems, Adobe Media Encoder doesn't seem to allow me to use any horizontal resolution greater than 8192.

Is this a limitation of AME, or is it more likely to be a limitation of the specific Theora codec plugin I'm using with Premiere?

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Is there an output resolution limit in Adobe Media Encoder?
on Feb 16, 2015 at 5:39:10 pm

[John Roberts] "5x2 video wall"

I'd guess that they might want that in pieces and not one huge file. The specifications should come from the client or whatever the playback system is and not trying to guess what would fit.

Return to posts index

John Roberts
on Feb 16, 2015 at 6:04:55 pm

Thanks for the response, Tero!

In a manner of speaking, I am both the client and the tech here :-) The requirements are dictated by the system we're using - which is a 9600x2160 display, driven by Chrome. As far as I can see, Ogg Theora is the only codec that can both play natively in Chrome, and (allegedly) encode at the full resolution I require. If you know of any other options that fit my requirements, though, I'd be very interested to hear?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Feb 16, 2015 at 6:43:44 pm

Well then you should know what formats/codecs the system will support and make the files accordingly?

Return to posts index

John Roberts
on Feb 16, 2015 at 7:27:45 pm

But I do? I'm not having a problem with the playback system, I'm having a problem getting Adobe Media Encoder to allow me to export at the unusually large resolution I need.

I just gave a little info on the playback system because I expected to get questions along the lines of "why would you need that output resolution?!" :-)

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Feb 16, 2015 at 8:07:15 pm

The not-bound-by-set-specs Quicktime codecs can do up to 30000x8192. That should fit your video. The bitrate will be quite something so you'll need a pretty beefy computer and GPU.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]