ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Avid to Resolve and Premiere Workflow problem - yellow bar on ProRes?!

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott ClementsAvid to Resolve and Premiere Workflow problem - yellow bar on ProRes?!
by on Feb 13, 2015 at 9:58:02 pm

Hi,

I'm pretty much a Premiere CC newbie. I edited a feature in Avid. I then exported an AAF for Resolve and did all my grading in there. I found Resolve's stabilisation to be nowhere near as good as Premiere Pro's Warp Sabilizer. So....

I wanted to export an AAF from Avid, open it in Premiere, stabilise certain ungraded shots with Warp Stabiliser and then export them, bring them into resolve and apply grades.

However, I've read that Premiere currently doesn't import AAFs (there's a current bug and I do not want to uninstall Premiere and install an earlier version)

I tried exporting an XML and EDLs from Avid MC 8.3.0, but they would inexplicably show up blank in Premiere. I've never been able to play between Avid and Premiere.

So, I exported an AAF from Resolve and imported it into Premiere. But....even though the footage is ProRes 422 HQ and I'm on a mac, I get this annoying yellow render bar above all the footage. Everything plays pretty herky-jerky.

How do I make Premiere work properly (both ingest an Avid AAF, XML or EDL and not have this yellow render bar?)

Film Editor, London UK
http://www.scottclementseditor.com

Return to posts index

Jeff PuleraRe: Avid to Resolve and Premiere Workflow problem - yellow bar on ProRes?!
by on Feb 13, 2015 at 10:08:34 pm

The yellow bar in Premiere is not a bad thing at all, please see this link: http://blogs.adobe.com/premierepro/2011/02/red-yellow-and-green-render-bars...

As for the "herky jerky" playback, it that with or without Warp Stabilizer? That definitely needs to render for playback. What kind of drive is the ProRes HQ coming from - is it fast enough? Have you tried lowering playback resolution in the Program Monitor to say 1/2?

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Scott ClementsRe: Avid to Resolve and Premiere Workflow problem - yellow bar on ProRes?!
by on Feb 13, 2015 at 10:29:52 pm

Thanks, Jeff. I had read that the yellow render bar was benign, however....

Why is it that if I bring a ProRes HQ clip into Premiere and then right click on it and "make new sequence based on clip", the newly created clip and timeline has no yellow bar? Also, if I match frame the clips with the yellow bar above them and then edit them in from the source window, there is no yellow bar above the newly edited clip? Also, I noticed that Premiere was converting/transcoding? the ProRes clips in the sequence with the yellow bar....I saw it working on them in the bottom right. It shouldn't have to do this with ProRes.

The herky jerky playback is on non-affected clips. The footage drive is usb 3 going into a usb 2 port on a macbook pro (not ideal, I know), but ProRes plays fine this way in both Avid and FCP 7. I was able to get better playback speed in Premiere by switching to 1/2 quality (or whatever it's called) but still, that yellow bar is seems to be signalling that there's a slowdown of some sort.

Film Editor, London UK

Return to posts index

Scott ClementsRe: Avid to Resolve and Premiere Workflow problem - yellow bar on ProRes?!
by on Feb 13, 2015 at 10:37:10 pm

I think this is how ProRes should be in Premiere. The below quote is from the linked article you sent me:

none: This segment of the sequence does not have a rendered preview file associated with it, but the codec of the source media is simple enough that it can essentially be treated as its own preview file. Playback will play directly from the original source media file. Playback at full quality is certain to be in real time. This only occurs for a few codecs (including DV and DVCPRO).

Or is this Premiere-specific ProRes problem a result of the Apple/Adobe war?

Film Editor, London UK

Return to posts index

Dennis RadekeRe: Avid to Resolve and Premiere Workflow problem - yellow bar on ProRes?!
by on Feb 14, 2015 at 11:38:46 am

[Scott Clements] "However, I've read that Premiere currently doesn't import AAFs (there's a current bug and I do not want to uninstall Premiere and install an earlier version)"

Hi Scott, it's always great if you can include the link where you read this or give a description of the bug. Simply put, Premiere Pro most definitely DOES import AAF and we're doing a much better job of it over the last couple of versions. I"ve got a couple of customers where an AAF workflow is pretty important and it's working for them. Can you elaborate specifically on what's not working there?

[Scott Clements] "Or is this Premiere-specific ProRes problem a result of the Apple/Adobe war?"

There certainly isn't any Adobe/Apple war. Yes, we compete in certain areas, but we have more areas where we compliment each other than where we compete. Given that, people and their NLE's are a passionate bunch, so I know what you mean! ;-)

As for poor playback, you do have the option of a chosen playback resolution which always allows the user to balance real-time playback versus quality. So, if you have a complex portion of the timeline which isn't going to play real-time, then you can bring it down a notch. You can get more details here: Playback options

To answer your question, when we bring in an AAF, XML, etc. I believe that we make the sequence settings 'custom' since we don't inspect the sequence for any given codec. The yellow bar in this case is not emblematic of any problem or will it compromise its playback capability: Premiere Pro is a resolution independent playback engine. Since 'Custom' doesn't have any particular codec assigned to it, it automatically gives you a yellow line. If all your material is ProRes HQ and you want to get rid of the yellow line, create a sequence preset that matches the clips, copy and paste the clips into Premiere Pro and you should be good to go.

One final note for you. With Premiere Pro (or any 64-bit NLE), the system performance is based around the balance of the computer you are using. In other words, it is only as good as the sum of the components. RAM, CPU, GPU, HDD speeds are all crucial factors to making your system perform at its best. The two easiest to address are RAM and possibly a GPU (if an old Mac Tower).

Thanks for using Premiere Pro and good luck!

Dennis - Adobe guy

Return to posts index

by on Feb 15, 2015 at 9:56:46 am
Last Edited By Scott Clements on Feb 15, 2015 at 9:57:46 am

Hi, Dennis.

Thanks for your response. To answer some of your questions:

[Dennis Radeke] "Hi Scott, it's always great if you can include the link where you read this or give a description of the bug. Simply put, Premiere Pro most definitely DOES import AAF and we're doing a much better job of it over the last couple of versions. I"ve got a couple of customers where an AAF workflow is pretty important and it's working for them. Can you elaborate specifically on what's not working there?"

Sorry I don't have the link. I went on a search for it, but was taking too long. Basically, when I import an Avid Media Composer 8.3.0 AAF, the timeline shows up blank in Premiere. I've never had luck importing AAFs into Premiere - either getting error messages, or in this case an empty timeline. It's not something I've had much of a need to do until now though. XMLs usually come across fine.

[Dennis Radeke] "As for poor playback, you do have the option of a chosen playback resolution which always allows the user to balance real-time playback versus quality."

Even playing 1/4 resolution was herky jerky - better, but still problematic.

[Dennis Radeke] " If all your material is ProRes HQ and you want to get rid of the yellow line, create a sequence preset that matches the clips, copy and paste the clips into Premiere Pro and you should be good to go."

I tried this before you suggested it and it didn't work. The only way I was able to get rid of the yellow line (which was affecting performance) was to create a new sequence based on a ProRes clip, paste an xml sequence into it (which still had the yellow bar), match frame the shots I wanted to work with and re-edit them into that timeline. Then the yellow bar disappeared. Copying and pasting the edit into a new ProRes sequence did not solve the problem.

When I had the yellow line above footage, I believe Premiere was not actually playing the ProRes footage directly but rather preview files. There was a huge cache of them on by computer afterward and I saw it making transcodes/conversions in the bottom right. I am very new to Premiere, so don't fully understand this process. It makes sense for Red footage, bt not ProRes HQ.

[Dennis Radeke] "One final note for you. With Premiere Pro (or any 64-bit NLE), the system performance is based around the balance of the computer you are using. In other words, it is only as good as the sum of the components. RAM, CPU, GPU, HDD speeds are all crucial factors to making your system perform at its best. The two easiest to address are RAM and possibly a GPU (if an old Mac Tower). "

I'm aware of this. My early 2011 macbook (with 16 gigs of ram) is getting a bit long in the tooth, but is perfectly able to handle ProRes HQ in Avid Media Composer 8, FCP 7 and FCP X.

[Dennis Radeke] "There certainly isn't any Adobe/Apple war. "

It is clear from the Premiere interface that Adobe doesn't want to do anything to facilitate or encourage using ProRes. There are no ProRes custom set-ups. This is an obvious omission, because ProRes is so widely-used. Even Avid has embraced it.

Film Editor, London UK

Return to posts index

Dennis RadekeRe: Avid to Resolve and Premiere Workflow problem - yellow bar on ProRes?!
by on Feb 16, 2015 at 1:22:19 pm

Hi Scott,

It would seem there's something wrong somewhere as I can play ProRes of about any flavor all day long on my laptop at full res.

To get a clean start of it, I would do this to a tee

Dennis

Return to posts index

by on Feb 16, 2015 at 1:25:32 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, Dennis. I'll give it a try.

Film Editor, London UK

Return to posts index

Jeff PuleraRe: Avid to Resolve and Premiere Workflow problem - yellow bar on ProRes?!
by on Feb 18, 2015 at 2:13:26 pm

Scott,

As I've never used an AAF workflow, I'll leave that to the experts. But I would like to comment that the "Conforming" render that you see happening is only rendering the audio - Premiere NEVER renders video previews all by itself - you have to manually tell it to "Render Work Area".

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

by on Feb 18, 2015 at 5:21:43 pm

Thanks, Jeff. I did not know that those were audio-only renders.

Film Editor, London UK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]