ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Aegisub/Subtitle Edit to Premiere Pro

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zoltan Madjarevic
Aegisub/Subtitle Edit to Premiere Pro
on Feb 12, 2015 at 10:06:27 pm

Hi there!
I'm working on a 23,976 fps project and i am currently subtitling it with Aegisub (I can open the .ass file in Subtitle Edit as well). I have big issues with importing the caption file in Premiere - either the subtitles have the wrong position in the picture and don't fit in completely or the timecode has a shift.

So far I didn't find a good workflow from Aegisub or Subtitle Edit to Premiere Pro.

Thanks in advance!!

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
Re: Aegisub/Subtitle Edit to Premiere Pro
on Feb 13, 2015 at 11:05:22 am

A lot of folks I know have used Annotation Edit to good use. Excellent format support and the developer works hard to have solid support for Premiere Pro

Annotation Edit

Return to posts index

Zoltan Madjarevic
on Feb 13, 2015 at 2:06:46 pm

Looks good, but as a filmschool student are 245 € not in the budget...

Return to posts index

Ryan Patch
on Feb 16, 2015 at 8:35:14 pm

Hello, Zoltan -

I've worked with a lot of subtitled content in my time. It really is a pain in the butt, for sure.

I have not found a way to import captions reliably through the premiere caption features.

My best way that I've found is actually to use ARscript's "Subtitle Import" ($29 I think). It imports as an AE file, and you can style it to look really good. You'll have to use Aegsub to save as a SRT first, though.

Then, you can either render out AE, or embed using Dynamic Link, if your computer is fast enough. This operation seems to be VERY CPU intensive for some reason, so many times I end up just rendering.

If you have an SRT file you'd like me to import into AE for you, I can do one. Give me a ring through the contact for on my website: http://www.storytellersink.net.

R

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
on Feb 16, 2015 at 8:51:35 pm
Last Edited By Steve Brame on Feb 16, 2015 at 9:02:06 pm

I was also a big fan of 'Subtitle Import', until a fellow COW member turned me on to this method...

First install 'Subtitle Edit', easily found with a Google search. It's a free subtitle editor that has some nice features.

Then...

Create your subtitles in Subtitle Edit, or import almost any subtitle file that you have already created.

Save as 'FCP XML + images' (use PNG's for image format). Each subtitle will be created as a single PNG graphic. Save these in a folder next to your project's media.

Import the resulting XML into Premiere. After you import the XML, Premiere will try to find the PNG's refereenced in it. You may have to locate the first PNG, since they all will probably be showing as offline, but once you've shown Premiere where the first one is, it should locate the rest automatically.

Asus P6X58D Premium * Core i7 950 * 24GB RAM * nVidia GeForce GTX 770 * Windows 7 Premium 64bit * System Drive - WD Caviar Black 500GB * 2nd Drive(Pagefile, Previews) - WD Velociraptor 10K drive 600GB * Media Drive - 2TB RAID0 (4 - WD Caviar Black 500GB drive) * Matrox MX02 Mini * Adobe CC * QuickTime 7.7.5
-------------------------------------------
"98% of all computer issues can be solved by simply pressing 'F1'."
Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

Zoltan Madjarevic
on Feb 16, 2015 at 11:39:17 pm

Thank you very much guys, in the meanwhile I found the solution via Subtitle Edit. So far what has worked best for me was transcoding them to an image sequence with alpha inside of Subtitle Edit and export as a Final Cut Pro XML. The pt_ImportSubtitles script is thereby obsolete.

Thank you Steve for your explenation, it's exactly what I did. I am sure there are enough folks looking for that solution.

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
on Feb 17, 2015 at 12:10:05 am

Pretty cool that it's free too!

Asus P6X58D Premium * Core i7 950 * 24GB RAM * nVidia GeForce GTX 770 * Windows 7 Premium 64bit * System Drive - WD Caviar Black 500GB * 2nd Drive(Pagefile, Previews) - WD Velociraptor 10K drive 600GB * Media Drive - 2TB RAID0 (4 - WD Caviar Black 500GB drive) * Matrox MX02 Mini * Adobe CC * QuickTime 7.7.5
-------------------------------------------
"98% of all computer issues can be solved by simply pressing 'F1'."
Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

Tineke Verbanck
on Sep 15, 2016 at 1:14:15 pm

Hello, thank you very much for the explanation about Subtitle Edit.
It works very good, but my titles (png) are in the middle of the screen, how can I edit/adjust this?

Hopefully someone can help me.

Return to posts index

Tineke Verbanck
on Sep 15, 2016 at 1:38:39 pm

I've found it, for the people who are also looking for this.

Select the xml on your timeline, and in your previeuw window, you can select the 'png-xml' and take it down.

Return to posts index

fabio carini
on Dec 1, 2016 at 2:55:42 pm

Hi,
thank you for the solution.
There was a little problem that we would like share if can help someone: the file .xml exported from SubtitleEdit had a different duration, so we have solved adding a faulse subtitle at time 00:00:00:00 and importing the .xml file in a new sequence (inside Premiere) where it was easy assign the right duration (given by the last subtitle).
Greetings

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]