ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

PP 2014.2 cutting a series for Fox. Update has hit real time performance hard. Anyone else with these issues?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryan Roberts
PP 2014.2 cutting a series for Fox. Update has hit real time performance hard. Anyone else with these issues?
on Feb 12, 2015 at 7:00:16 pm

Hi all,

I'm cutting a series for Fox and we're on season 3. I cut all of season 1 on FCP7. Then dipped my toe into Premiere waters between seasons and cut all of season 2 in Premiere with excellent results. My only gripe on the previous Premiere CC versions was towards the ends of cuts when my timelines were rather complicated, I'd have a crash or two each day. Well I'm finishing up an episode this week which is the first I've cut in version 2014.2. It's WAY more stable, I haven't had a single crash in weeks. That part is amazing! The huge downside has been that my real time performance seems to have taken a serious hit even though the hardware, disk storage, video card, tower etc. are all identical. Worse is that when I'm playing back a sequence that's longer than one show act (like a sequence with the entire show in it, only 22 minutes) I'll a lot of time get a slight stutter frame between edits and that happens on a lot of edits. It's a fast paced racing competition show so say I'm playing back my timeline with a cut from a go pro on the steering wheel to a shot outside the car, it looks like there's a freeze frame of 2 frames long at the end of the GoPro shot before going to the shot outside the car. It's not only going from GoPro to non GoPro, it seems to happen on any kind of footage UNLESS I render it all, then it's fine. It's very frustrating. I've also confirmed when opening up an old show that played back fine on the previous version that this is still happening on these old projects as well. Also when color correcting in a sequence, there's generally a delay in seeing my color changes of several seconds! Premiere has always been instantaneous or very close to instantaneous when showing color updates for the past year until this update. Is this a known issue? Here's my specs:

Premiere CC 2014.2
Mac Pro 2009 2.93 Octo
32GB Ram (in my memory settings of Premiere, I have it set to optimize rendering for Performance and 26 GB RAM for Premiere, 6GB for other apps)
GeForce GTX 780 6GB version
My media is attached via a GRAID 4TB drive connected via eSata. I've also tried a different Graid attached via USB3 and another hard drive connected via FW800.
OSX 10.9.5

EDITOR
Features : Television : Commercial
http://www.BryanRobertsEditor.com

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: PP 2014.2 cutting a series for Fox. Update has hit real time performance hard. Anyone else with these issues?
on Feb 13, 2015 at 12:42:29 am

Have you run AJA Speed Test or a similar test on your media drives? It sounds like you're running into throughput limitations that have somehow been exacerbated by your software updates. You would not be the first user to encounter this issue when upgrading or updating software recently.

FYI, if you had a "real" professional RAID such as a 4 or 8-bay SAS conneced RAID with substantially greater thriughput, I seriously doubt you would have the same issues.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Bryan Roberts
Re: PP 2014.2 cutting a series for Fox. Update has hit real time performance hard. Anyone else with these issues?
on Feb 13, 2015 at 12:51:05 am

Thanks David,

I have run the speed test and it's certainly not the drives. The primary cameras on this episode are an Arri Amira with ProRes 422 media at 1080p and then untranscoded 5D footage, GoPro footage at 1080 (god help us if esata GRAID drives can't cut 1080p ProRes 422 and 5D / GoPro footage) and then occasionally there's some helicopter shots with R3D 5K files (surprisingly those don't choke up if only held for less than 4 seconds or so). What throws me is that it's not just stuttering and dropping frames while playing, it's the way it's doing it. The freeze frame for 2-3 frames at the end of cuts. If it's a longer shot like for a standup bit, there's no stutter at all. It's just going between shots which again, on a fast paced show like this, becomes very hard to watch. The other big indicator that something else is going on is the color correction delay. I've never had such a delay when adjusting sliders. It takes several seconds to just update what I'm tweaking with sliders on a longer sequence. When in a shorter sequence (say less than 3 minutes) the delay is almost gone. Something on my machine doesn't seem to be utilized properly, maybe?

EDITOR

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
on Feb 13, 2015 at 1:01:22 am

I remember reading about disabling thumbnails, waveforms or, media match indicators in the timeline helping...

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX

Return to posts index

Massimo Alberto Croce
on Feb 13, 2015 at 1:43:37 am

Have you update your cuda drivers?

Massimo Alberto Croce
Video Editor, Colorist, Pro Tools Editor
massimoalberto.croce@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Bryan Roberts
on Feb 13, 2015 at 1:50:40 am

Thanks guys,

Yes, I have the latest CUDA drivers via Nvidia Driver Manager.

Alex - I'll try disabling those things but I know in my timeline, I already have thumbnails and waveforms off as my own personal preference anyways.

EDITOR

Return to posts index

Peter Garaway
on Feb 13, 2015 at 5:39:40 am
Last Edited By Peter Garaway on Feb 15, 2015 at 10:19:01 pm

Hi Bryan,

Alex mention a few of these but here's a few more suggestions that will hopefully be helpful to you.

- Disable“Show Duplicate Frame Markers”
- Disable“Display out of sync indicators for unlinked clips”
- Disable “Maintain Audio Pitch While Scrubbing”
- Disable“Show FX Badges”
- Turning off Audio Waveforms
- Turn off Multicam view
- Disable Transmit
- Make sure your Network/Shared Storage is set to "full duplex”

A few additional questions. Do you have the following in your project?

- Warp Stabilizer on a lot of clips?
- Multiband Compressor on a lot of clips?
- Is there a lot of Dynamic Link clips?
- Do you have multiple Media Browsers open?

Glad to hear you've been mostly enjoying Premiere. Hopefully these will help you run a bit smoother.

Best,

Peter Garaway
Adobe
Premiere Pro

Peter Garaway
Adobe
Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Feb 13, 2015 at 10:59:52 am

The only other thing worth trying beyond Peter's excellent suggestions is to actually back off on the RAM usage for Premiere Pro just a bit. While any 64-bit application benefits from RAM, if you suffocate the OS, it may have an adverse effect. I've seen several examples of new MacPro users putting 64GB of RAM into the machine and reserving only 6GB for OS and all other applications. Rule of thumb is 60-70% for Adobe apps, 30-40% for others.

As an experiment, reserve 20 or 21GB of RAM for Premiere Pro, restart and see if that provides any benefits.

Oh, one other question to add to Peter's list...Do you have a lot of large still images in your project? If so, try resizing them and bringing down the bit-depth (if applicable).

HTH,
Dennis - Adobe guy

Return to posts index

Bryan Roberts
on Feb 13, 2015 at 5:10:57 pm
Last Edited By Bryan Roberts on Feb 13, 2015 at 5:18:26 pm

Thanks all for your wonderful replies.

I tried everything and I think it was too much RAM and I was suffocating my OS. When I lowered it to 20GB for Premiere, it seems to be happier, most of the issues go away. I'm starting to feel like my 2009 Mac Pro is starting to get long in the tooth anyways. The GTX780 + Premiere really breathed new life into the thing but I mean it IS a 6 year old machine which is laughable to say out loud. Whenever they release the next Mac Pro update, it looks like I'll be jumping.

Thanks again everyone for your suggestions!

EDITOR

Return to posts index

Andy Edwards
on Feb 15, 2015 at 9:29:14 pm

Hi Peter,

Question about one of your suggestions:
- Make sure your Network/Shared Storage not set to "full duplex”

Just curious what is the reasoning for this change as we use full duplex when setting it to Jumbo Frames.

Andy

Return to posts index

Peter Garaway
on Feb 15, 2015 at 10:23:00 pm

Thanks for catching that Andy. I do recommend it be set to Full Duplex. I've corrected my post.

Thanks,

Peter Garaway
Adobe
Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]