ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Autosave issues and Premiere pro is not very pro –rant

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andreas AhstonAutosave issues and Premiere pro is not very pro –rant
by on Feb 8, 2015 at 6:56:37 pm

It happened again. Premiere crashed and this time it wasn't even a very heavy project. Half and hour of work is lost and I am tempted to send Adobe an invoice. This is not the first time I have observed that the autosave fails to save a copy every 10 minutes as instructed. It is easy to tell because I can go into the autosave folder and see that more than 20 minutes have passed between the last save and the time when the program crashed, even though I've been working constantly on the project. Anyway, back to my rant. Despite all it's functionality, premiere lacks the stability that is the mark of a serious editing program. It's remarkable that a program that has been around for so long is still suffering from these sort of problems. These crashes and other malfunctions are costing me money all the time. It sucks and it just isn't good enough.

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Autosave issues and Premiere pro is not very pro –rant
by on Feb 8, 2015 at 7:36:35 pm

Seems that you're as much to blame as Adobe. Wouldn't it be fair to state that you lost half an hour of your time because you didn't hit the save button to save your work?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Andreas AhstonRe: Autosave issues and Premiere pro is not very pro –rant
by on Feb 8, 2015 at 8:06:43 pm

I see your point David. But don't you think that a adobe has a responsibility that their product doesn't crash everytime it's being used? They are selling this as a professional tool, after all. I wouldn't mind if it was just every once in a while. But it happens quite frequently. And when they include an autosave function, am I really to be blamed for trusting it to work properly?

Return to posts index

Michael KrupnickRe: Autosave issues and Premiere pro is not very pro –rant
by on Feb 9, 2015 at 10:13:54 am

What makes any tool "professional" is not bundled in the hardware or the app. It's the user.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 9, 2015 at 11:17:19 am

Thank you Michael. That is very helpful. I love how your comment goes to the core of the problem I'm describing. Now I understand that premiere's lack of stability has nothing to do with the software itself, but that it is a consequence of my own lack of professionalism. I'll look forward to seeing premieres crash less and less, as I improve as an editor.

Return to posts index

Sam LanesRe: Autosave issues and Premiere pro is not very pro –rant
by on Feb 9, 2015 at 12:45:32 pm

If you are having repeated crashes, the chances are that there is something in your setup that is causing the problem.

If you post your system spec, OS, software version numbers, relevant driver versions and as much information about what you are doing at the time of the crashes etc, then collectively, the forum might be able to point you in the direction to try and solve the issue.

Return to posts index

Jon DoughtieRe: Autosave issues and Premiere pro is not very pro –rant
by on Feb 9, 2015 at 2:42:43 pm

I agree with Sam. The root issue is not the save failures. The true issue you are facing, friend, is constant crashing. This should not be happening. We run multiple systems and they are almost completely free of crashes. They just run and run and run.

The crashes are a symptom of a much deeper tech issue. This tech issue may well also explain why auto-saves are failing for you.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 9, 2015 at 3:51:03 pm

Hi Sam and Jon. Thank you for your replies. I am pleased to hear that it shouldn't be like this and that there is hope for improvment. I'm running an updated premiere pro cc on a 2014 macbook pro retina 2,4 ghz, os X 10.9.5 and an external fast harddrive with usb 3.0 The problem of frequent crashes has remained pretty constant throughout different versions of premiere as well as os X for the last 6 months.
I would estimate that it crashes on average every 2-3 hours. Sometimes the crash can be linked to a particular thing that I want to do, and I will find ways to work around it. But in most cases I cannot discern any clear connection between what I am doing and the crashing. It just seems generally unstable in a way that other editing programs are not.

Do you have any idea where to start looking?

I'd love to hear from other who had similiar issues, particularly the autosave fail

Return to posts index

Sam LanesRe: Autosave issues and Premiere pro is not very pro –rant
by on Feb 9, 2015 at 3:59:37 pm
Last Edited By Sam Lanes on Feb 9, 2015 at 4:15:36 pm

The first thing that stands out to me is the USB3 external hard drive. I usually avoid USB3, but I do have one connected to keep backup of footage etc when I return from a shoot.

However, I have found that editing from that drive is really problematic and will drop out frequently as soon as the load on the drive increases or starts running both ways e.g. when I am trying to export a file to it in Encoder, whilst running a project from the drive (something I accidently managed to do last week, but had got close to the end and just decided to persevere).

Others may have had more success than me with them, but I would be trying something with a more secure connection, personally.

You could try moving the location of the autosave files in the project settings to a folder on the internal hard drive and see if the autosaves are more regular that way.

In the long run, I suspect you'll need to invest in a thunderbolt HDD.

It would also be interesting to know what format of video files you are working with.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 9, 2015 at 5:38:12 pm

Hi Sam

I'll try and move the autosave location to the internal. That is a good idea.
For bigger projects I convert to prores. For smaller projects I often stay with the h264 that nikon dslr's shoot on. H264 is certainly more suseptible to render errors and other irragularities, but I would not say that my prores projects have a better track-record when it comes to freezing and crashing.

Return to posts index

walter biscardiRe: Autosave issues and Premiere pro is not very pro –rant
by on Feb 9, 2015 at 6:37:14 pm

[Andreas Ahston] "I'll try and move the autosave location to the internal. That is a good idea. "

We keep all project and Autosave files on the internal computers.

[Andreas Ahston] "For bigger projects I convert to prores."

We stopped transcoding 2 years ago when we realized the native workflow just works. We output a ProRes or DNxHD file at the end of the editing process. This is for all projects large or small. When you create ProRes files you're creating much larger files, the larger the files, the larger the project, the more prone you are to crashes when Premiere Pro cannot access the data fast enough.

Most crashes to all the NLEs can be traced back to the software not getting the data it requests fast enough. So the software hangs and then crashes.

I edit off a single USB3 bus powered drive with my MacBook Air at home, but we run a full 100TB media server at the office. As you can imagine, the performance on my MacBook Air is much slower than on the SAN systems at the office. But it's functional and I make sure to work at a slower pace because I know that if I try to do too many things at once, I can crash the system just because it's underpowered.

But I'm able to edit both HD and 4k quite easily with this smaller setup. I just slow my process down a bit and be more deliberate with all of my steps.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Craft and Career Advice & Training from real Working Creative Professionals

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Gary BingnerRe: Autosave issues and Premiere pro is not very pro –rant
by on Feb 13, 2015 at 4:53:25 am

Andreas, I feel your pain.

I just switched to Premiere Pro from Final Cut about a month ago. I was used to Autosave being there on FC7 to save my bacon in those rare instances of a crash.

Tonight, I had my second big crash and it was a whopper. Even though I thought I was saving occasionally, none of my saves worked...and neither did autosave. I LOST FIVE HOURS OF INTENSE EDITING.

I'm not going to ask for advice. This is my first post and I'm already struck by the high level of snark that has been coming your way. But suffice it to say, Premiere Pro broke my heart tonight. I'm guessing the spinning beach ball of death has something to do with my iMac not being robust enough. But the fact that I had NO Auto Save files for over FIVE HOURS is very confusing to me.

Good luck figuring it out. I have to spend the night redoing a project I was about to finish. I may be shopping for a newer Mac this weekend.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 13, 2015 at 8:08:58 pm

I know how that feels. Thanks for your comment. I miss the old final cut too.

Return to posts index

Ryan PatchRe: Autosave issues and Premiere pro is not very pro –rant
by on Feb 16, 2015 at 8:38:30 pm

Andreas -

I am seeing this AutoSave problem as well. Don't let the haters get you down. Although it's our responsibility to save consistently, and although you shouldn't be crashing consistently, the AutoSave should work.

Please report the AutoSave issue to Adobe on the bug form so they can get it fixed.

R

Return to posts index

Matthias NoeRe: Autosave issues and Premiere pro is not very pro –rant
by on Jan 15, 2016 at 11:21:58 am

It's been this way since a couple of versions and Adobe doesn't seem to bother. And there are a couple of instances that can occur where the editor is not really to blame: e.g. when he is relatively new to the job and so caught up in the tunnel that 1 hour passes like 5 minutes, or when even the work of 5 minutes is hard to rebuild sometimes. It's just a frustrating experience and it's totally avoidable if the software did what it promises to do. Period.
I just had the case that I had two sequences named the same in my project(I had re-imported another cut that I had saved seperately) and all of a sudden, the one I was working on just turned into the older one with the same name. So abruptly I had two identical sequences with the status from 2 days ago and no undo could bring back my work. And OF COURSE the most recent Autosave (every 10 minutes is my setup) is an hour old. A freaking hour! And there was nothing I could do. Yes, I could force the habbit to save every 5 minutes but isn't that something that Adobe clearly can and simply should automate for us editors? They even claim to do so but from version CS3 or so on this bug is like a huge middle finger to everyone who foolishly thinks that the promised auto save works. It just should work. Period.

MY SYSTEM:
Motherboard: Asus | P8P67 DELUXE
Processor: Intel | Core i7-2600K 3400 1155
GPU: ASUS | GeForce GTX760 | 2 GB
RAM: G.Skill | Ripjaws 16GB 1333-999 | 4x4GB
System-Drive: ADATA | Internal SSD, 128GB | ASP900S3-128GM-C | Sata
Monitor: Eizo | 23 L FS2331-BK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]