ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Toggle trim type

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
andy lewisToggle trim type
by on Feb 7, 2015 at 1:10:08 am
Last Edited By andy lewis on Feb 7, 2015 at 1:14:09 am

With an edit point selected I can use a keyboard shortcut to toggle through trim types - Hooray!
But I have to stop playback to do it - Boo!

This means that a single operation now involves 3 key presses instead of 1.
Stop playback
Change tool
Start playback

It really takes the dynamism out of the whole dynamic trimming thing for me, as I'm doing this constantly.

My question is - is there something I'm missing? Does everyone else do things a different way?
It just seems like such a glaringly obvious fault (to me) and yet google brings up no one else complaining about it.

Return to posts index

Peter GarawayRe: Toggle trim type
by on Feb 7, 2015 at 4:50:43 am

Hi Andy,

There's no need to stop playback while cycling through the trim modes and triming. During playback, select the edit point and press Ctrl+T to cycle through the trim modes or with the edit point selected, right-click and you can choose the trim mode from there as well.

In case you haven't seen this tutorial, its pretty helpful.

Peter Garaway
Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

andy lewisRe: Toggle trim type
by on Feb 7, 2015 at 10:04:40 am

How strange.

I switched keyboard shortcuts to Adobe Premiere Pro default and it worked initially (I could change trim type without stopping playback). Now it's back to not working. The trim type will only toggle when playback is stopped. Right-clicking shows the options but selecting them does nothing. Re-defining the shortcut key doesn't help. With Avid or FCP shortcuts selected I also can't change the trim type without stopping playback.

My install? Unless there is something else I'm missing. Some odd setting that could be causing it?
This has never worked for me. I trashed preferences fairly recently and that didn't fix it. I'm glad to hear it should be working as I imagined.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 8, 2015 at 8:06:24 am

OK I've found a way to make it work. What happens is - if you are in trim edit mode and you use the space bar as play/stop it loops around the edit point and you can use keyboard trimming. For some reason though, toggle trim mode is disabled.

In order to get fully functioning dynamic trimming you need to press "play around", not "play". You then need to have "loop" switched on or it will play post and pre-roll once and then stop.

Ah well, at least it's working now.

Return to posts index

Dan PearceRe: Toggle trim type
by on Feb 9, 2015 at 12:07:18 pm
Last Edited By Dan Pearce on Feb 9, 2015 at 12:08:27 pm

Just tried this out for myself and it doesn't work for me either. Be nice if it did - trimming in Premiere is close to being as good as Avid, just needs a little polish

Return to posts index

by on Jul 28, 2015 at 3:19:30 am

Just to update this:

The solution I outlined above actually doesn't work.

- If you press play (spacebar) in trim mode, you can't toggle trim type without stopping playback
- If you press play around in trim mode you can toggle trim type while the playhead loops but this is because you have been taken out of trim mode.
- If you are out of trim mode, the only way to get looped play around is to turn on 'loop' (figures). With loop turned on, if you have in and out points on the timeline, all playback is between in and out (!), even worse, when the playhead gets to the end of the sequence it loops back to the start. Has there ever been a more useless and irritating timeline feature? The problem could be mitigated by including some kind of swear detector that automatically turns loop off.

I just tested PPro 2015 and this is all still the case.

PPro's dynamic trimming and minimal trim mode window is such a nice feature. How strange to (clearly) put so much effort into something, to have it so fundamentally broken by such simple interface problems. As it stands, dynamic trimming is faster and more effective if you are not in trim mode. Even then, it involves frustrating workarounds (turning loop on and off every time you use trim).

It's still possible that I am the idiot here and there is something I'm missing. Or maybe everyone's way of approaching a task is different and I am somehow an outlier.

So here is a question to those using dynamic trimming with keyboard shortcuts - do you stop playback in order to change the trim type? Are you not changing trim type all the time? How can you stand it?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved