ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

iMac 5k Retina real world reviews

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott DempseyiMac 5k Retina real world reviews
by on Feb 5, 2015 at 6:46:05 pm

I have read the thread about the graphics card being a problem with PP and AE... great information.

What I was wondering is can anyone out there give some real world experience working on the Retina iMac? It looks like a great machine but most of the reviews out there just tell me what I already know.

I am a video editor and spend most of my time in FCP7 and currently migrating over to PP to wash my hands of the old FCP that I did love. I am looking to buy a new iMac for home work and just not sure if the new Retina iMac really adds much (besides the Retina monitor and the slight boost in brains) over say the best 2014 iMac model. I have read that you must go big with all the specs to help power that 5K display but other than that is there really an upside?

Anyone out there using one of these machines on a daily basis?

Return to posts index

Ramin MohammadalikhaniRe: iMac 5k Retina real world reviews
by on Feb 8, 2015 at 2:52:39 am

I know you were a Mac user but any particular reason to want an iMac? With an iMac (also with the modern Mac Pros) the hardware is pretty much already set which you cannot change it even though it may not be the best hardware you could have for the same money considering your specific needs that is an optimal hardware for the Adobe suite.
If it were me, I would build myself a custom system, either assemble it myself (which is what I did two years ago) or, have a technician do it for me. This way, I can have the best possible hardware configuration tuned for my needs: the best graphic controller within my budget, a proper raid system, motherboard and CPU, RAM (probably of ECC type), a blu-ray reader/burner drive and a quality computer case to accommodate these components and keeping them cool while leaving some room for possible future upgrades.
If I need a high resolution display, there are right now plenty of 4k monitors in the market of whom some are quite reasonably priced. Plus there is also a 27" 5K dell monitor.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved