ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Editing mixed media footage into one timeline

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nico EngelbrechtEditing mixed media footage into one timeline
by on Feb 4, 2015 at 6:17:46 pm

Hello, hope someone can help me with this.

We have moved over to Premiere CC14 but at times it is virtually unusable due to the amount of times it crashes. Usually playback stops working, neither hitting space nor the play button does anything but works fine after a force quite and restart.

The media that we are cutting is a mixture of H264 @25fps, @29.97fps, 24fps. There are also different frame sizes, from 640 to 1080. (the sequence is set up to 720P 25.

My first thought was that I should convert everything to one file format, but after speaking to Adobe multiple times their standard line is that you can drop any combination of footage into the timeline and it will just work. However so far we find that this is not the case in our two edit suites. I have read about mezzanine codecs but that seems like it would be used once the project is completed to archive/send to post house.

So as a test I want to set up a project with a standardised frame size and frame rate. What would be the best codec for Premiere (aka ProRes for FCP) for both speed and stability? Stability would be the focus.

If you have any questions please give me a shout and any help would be greatly received.

MacPro 6-Core and Dual GPU, AJA IO4K, CC14

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved