ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

annoying performance problem when having many clips loaded

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc Niborannoying performance problem when having many clips loaded
by on Feb 3, 2015 at 8:43:21 pm
Last Edited By Marc Nibor on Feb 3, 2015 at 8:46:48 pm

I am working on a rather large project with ~600 4K red clips in the project. Although the machine is quite beefy with 12x4.5 GHz, GeForce GTX 780 Ti and 64 GB Ram, I am running into some rather annoying performance issues.
Especially when moving clips on the timeline.... sometimes have to watch the "hourglass" for 20 seconds when I click on a clip to make it active. When I then drag it left or right, there is a sometimes seemingly endless lag and once I drop it, it also might take quite long until it appears again.

The good thing is that this is not always the case. Sometimes everything works in normal speed. But I did not figure out yet what/where the bottleneck is.
In the performance tab in taskmanager everything looks way below a problem level. There is still 50 GB Memory available and the CPU also doesn't have a lot to do. I also checked the GPU and it also doesn't do much.

The weakest link in the chain is that the raw footage is stored on an external HD. Although I cannot see how this should be an issue as long as I don't even play the clip - I just move it on the timeline with thumbs off.

Maybe I should mention that the clips play fine - even if I set it to full resolution. only moving stuff on the timeline is sometimes very slow.

I know it's very hard to answer these kind of questions... but maybe someone had the same problem before and found a solution that I can try. Thanks anyways for reading this far ; )

My preferences settings are:
Ram avail. for PR 58.9 Ram reserved for other apps 5GB
optimize rendering for performance

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved