ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Encode NLE

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick PoimenEncode NLE
by on Feb 3, 2015 at 3:25:59 pm

Hello, I am Greek videographer and deal with wedding shoots. I shoot with Sony rx10 in 1080p 50p (28Mbs) AVCHD. For Editing I used Premiere Pro CC in MAC. Ι would like to make the following questions :

1)If my client wants Blue-Ray, DVD , and all movie as file (3 hours) to play in HDTV threw usb (h264 or x264) is the appropriate way 1080p 50p ,1080i 50i or 1080p 25p ? I suppose the best choice is 1080p in 50p-for movement scene for Blue-ray and us a file in HDTV , but not for DVD!! (the source for dvd must be interlaced but i don't have choice).
2)My footage is about 3 hours (weddings in Greece last about 3 hours) what is the best way to make an export from Premiere in Blue-ray , DVD , and as file ? . I Know for Blue-ray Premiere have presets from Adobe Media Encode but for DVD the quality is horrible from AME (downscale…1080p to 576i..), I read the best way is to make an export in QuickTime format uncompress from Pr and later input the file at Handbrake and make output at mpeg 2-for DVD and x264 (for a small file about 2 Gb) for HDTV threw usb.
3)What is the best NLE Software for Professional video editing but in export quality no in workflow..I want the best encode in export because I see big difference in quality between FCX and Pr. ( .
4)Is the best to convert my footage AVCHD/h264 in QuickTime uncompress and editing in Pr and then compress down to H264 (as file on HDTV or Blue-ray threw PR) or Mpeg2 (for DVD) ? . If I don’t make any colour correction and only make ‘’cut’’ my source file there is no problem editing & output AVCHD/h264 in Pr . But if I make colour correction the best way is to convert my footage to QuickTime uncompress because AVCHD/264 is “long-GOP” format that uses a mixture of intraframes and I will have losses in quality.
5)Is it best to used software encode (Pr , FCX, Avid, Sony Vegas ) or hardware encode (Handbrake) for encode quality ?
6)Does Premiere in MAC used Quick Sync ? What is the best encode : software , hardware , CUDA Gpu or Quick Sync for quality?
7)If I want to make an update to my pc where should I focus more in cpu with Quick Sync or in GPU with good CUDA? for best quality encode ..
8)Is there any plug-in for hardware encode threw Pr ? I don’t want to make 2 steps for example exports from premiere h264 footage to QuickTime uncompress and later input in Handbrake to make it h264. I want directly from Pr . There is hardware encode threw Pr..!
9HDTV support only progressive scan or progressive and interlaced. Example: if I play a interlaced video the HDTV change to interlaced or make deinterlace ?

I look forward for your answers, thanks.

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Encode NLE
by on Feb 3, 2015 at 4:20:45 pm

1) Blu ray only supports 50p in 1280x720 and DVD only supports 25 so I'd edit it as a 25fps project or render it out at 25 when you're done.

2) You'll need to export it so it fits the media you're trying to put it into.

3) That article is terrible.

4) You can edit AVCHD natively.

5) Shouldn't matter.

6) I have no idea what that is.

Return to posts index

Nick PoimenRe: Encode NLE
by on Feb 3, 2015 at 4:35:57 pm
Last Edited By Nick Poimen on Feb 3, 2015 at 5:06:34 pm

Your answer don't help me

Return to posts index

Shane RossRe: Encode NLE
by on Feb 3, 2015 at 5:26:23 pm

1) BluRay can't do your best bet there is 1080p25, or 1080i50. How you shot it also comes into play...did you shoot progressive, or interlaced? If you shot progressive, it'll make a cleaner progressive output. Now, DVDs also cannot do 50fps...only 25. So you have either 50i or 25p for that. Digital files can be 50fps, but that makes for a high data rate and might cause playback to skip. But digital files for playback on computer displays should only be Progressive, as Interlacing doesn't show up properly on computer displays, only HDTVs.

2) For BluRay or DVD encodes...export a full res file and then encode for them separately, as the file for the BluRay will need to be an h.264 variant..and DVD is mpeg2. You might need to test various methods, including encoding with the authoring software. I use Toast 11 for BluRay, and Compressor/DVD STudio Pro (old FCP apps) for DVDs.

3) NLE doesn't matter. Edit in what you want that makes you confortable. Then get the best ENCODING software. Apple has Compressor, Adobe has Media Encoder. Personally I'm liking Sorenson Squeeze for my H.264 encodes...cleaner than Media Encoder for sure. I never leave it up to the NLE to compress...I always rely on apps made for compressing. So you can edit with Premiere, and then encode with Compressor (Apple's app) if Apple looks cleaner to you. I'm not sure I trust that article...they don't show the encoding specs...unsure if they were exactly the same.

BUT...the computer system you use does determine the software. If you have a Mac, you can choose from FCX or PPro or Avid...whathaveyou. But if you have a PC running Windows, FCX is off the's Mac only. But you then have more options like Sony Vegas and Edius...but that's muddying the waters.

4) UNCOMPRESSED is really huge...I'd opt against that. If you can compress to DNxHD or ProRes for editing, those will handle color correction better than the native H.264 AVCHD. But only do that if you are color correcting. Otherwise, edit native. The less compressing you do to the footage, the better.

5) Handbrake isn't a hardware's software as well. And Handbrake is designed to rip footage from DVDs, not encode footage for the web or DVD or BluRay. For that you look to other software options like Media Encoder, Compressor, Squeeze. Hardware encoding is something like the Elgato Turbo.264. But for BluRay and web, software works fine.

6) Not sure what QuickSync is or if it comes into play with compression at all. Never heard of it.

7) GPU and Processors don't really help the quality of the encode...they can only speed up the process, if the app leverages them. Premiere uses GPU to help smooth out editing, decode some formats so editing is smoother...and fast processors help with that too. But they don't come into play in terms of quality of the encode. They can speed up the process, but not make the image any better.

8) HARDWARE options? Not sure...Again, hardware means a phyical piece of equipment that aids in the encode process, like the Elgato. Anything that doesn't have hardware...a separate piece of SOFTWARE. And what works hand in hand with Premiere is Adobe media Encoder. You encode directly from the timeline using encoder. Anything else will require you to output someting, and then encode it.

9) HDTVs can play interlaced or progressive. Although most only play back certain frame rates. You are in PAL land, so it's all 25fps...or 50fps if the footage is 720p. In the US we have issues because we use 24fps and 30fps...most TVs don't do 24fps, so we have to make 29.97fps interlaced files in order for it to play smoothly.

Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

by on Feb 3, 2015 at 6:28:21 pm
Last Edited By Nick Poimen on Feb 3, 2015 at 6:42:22 pm

thanks Shane Ross for your reaply

If my source is 1080 25p the shutter speed must be 1/50 but with this speed the picture in movement doesn't appear great (is proper 1/100?). The other choice is 50i but blue-ray player did't play interlaced i think..

Squeeze encode directly from the timeline inside Pr? . example when i choose export from Pr open Squeeze and select h264 Blueray or another code?.. Or from Pr must export to uncompress file and then input to Squeeze .

the HDTV converts interlaced to progressive with deinterlaced or it has the property to change the setting to interlaced and progressive.

you say used toast 11 for Blue-Ray and studio pro for DVD but what setting export from NLE to write in Blue-Ray and DVD in this software (toast 11 and Studio Pro)?

Return to posts index

by on Feb 4, 2015 at 6:28:04 am

Please anyone answer...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved