ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Sound problem after capturing DV tape

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim FastSound problem after capturing DV tape
by on Feb 2, 2015 at 9:24:23 am

Hi guys,

I have some of my home videos stored on Digital Video 8 tapes. I used to export my edited videos back to tapes a while ago. I've just decided to move all the material to hard drives. Unfortunately, I faced a problem already with the first tape.

When I put the captured file on the timeline in PP CS6 and try to play it the sound is very distorted. It sounds like an interview with a protected witness - the sound has a very low frequency. But it seems be in sync with the video though.

A strange thing is that the problem appears first after 5-10 minutes in video. After that it remains to the end.

First I thought that something went wrong during the capture process and I did it again with exactly same result - the sound changes in exactly same scene! The sound that comes through the speakers during the capture process has no faults though. Something must happen when the file is written to the disk!

I'm completely lost - the problem does not make any sense! If some settings were wrong or the hardware was a problem it would affect the whole video! If the source on the tape was corrupted it would be heard during the capture process.

There is also the fact that I used different cameras for exporting video to tapes 15 years ago and for capturing video now. Both are Sony cameras tough.

Another interesting fact is that when I put the captured video file to a timeline 4 (!) audio tracks are occupied. I never used that many channels. Two of the four tracks contain no information though. Can it give a clue to the problem?

Does anybody have an idea what can be wrong and how I can avoid the problem?

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Sound problem after capturing DV tape
by on Feb 2, 2015 at 9:28:04 am

What are you capturing the tapes with and in what codec/format?

Return to posts index

Tim FastRe: Sound problem after capturing DV tape
by on Feb 2, 2015 at 9:53:35 am

Thank you for the fast reply Tero!

I capture video from camera connected to computer by firewire. I use DV Capture preset for the capture (there are only two presets DV and HDV). The sequence has DV-Pal Standard 48kHz preset.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 2, 2015 at 6:14:54 pm
Last Edited By Tim Fast on Feb 2, 2015 at 6:17:31 pm

Have done some testing - opened the captured file in QuickTime. The sound plays good until it comes to the "problem" scene. And it continues to be good for about 5 seconds into the scene! After that it disappears completely.

It means that QuickTime can read the "damaged" audio but during few seconds.

Have tried VLC, it starts echoing as soon as it comes to the problem scene.

Can it give any clue? Is it a way to capture the video somehow to avoid the error?

Return to posts index

by on Feb 2, 2015 at 6:59:23 pm

And more testing has been done. This one is quite promising. :-) I tried to import the tape on iMovie and everything works just fine there. So, it IS Adobe's problem.

However, I'd still like to find out what the problem is since iMove is really, and I mean REALLY awkward to work with. It is not so easy to retrieve the video files and they are all broken into the scenes. I want to avoid using iMovie and use Adobe's products that I'm familiar with instead.

What tweaks can I do in order to make the capturing in PP work?

Return to posts index

Jane KongRe: Sound problem after capturing DV tape
by on Mar 17, 2015 at 6:37:34 am

you can try to convert your videos into mpeg, which may be more compatible for your pp. this is just about some codec thing, recommend you to try some converters to see if they can help.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 17, 2015 at 8:26:04 am

Thank you for your reply Jane. However, I cannot convert the video to anything since the sound is corrupt already during the capture.

After I'd tried different approaches to the problem I found out that the problem disappears when I start capture from the scene where the sound changes from good to bad. The problem is not present either if I let the captured video break into the scenes. I. e. the software has problems with the sound when capturing transition from one scene to another.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]