ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

What the heck is the bottleneck?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Max Farrell
What the heck is the bottleneck?
on Jan 31, 2015 at 3:38:18 pm

Okay so I have a 4 Ghz AMD Fx processor, and 16 gb of ram and I can't get Premiere to use more that 2 or 3 percent of the processor and 1 to 2 gbs of ram. What can I do to get Premiere to utilize my system?

Return to posts index

Jason Guerra
Re: What the heck is the bottleneck?
on Jan 31, 2015 at 5:38:33 pm

Are you seeing those numbers while editing, rendering or exporting? Is Premiere running slowing, or it just seems like it's running light on resources? Are you using Mercy Playback Engine? Can you provide more detail?

If you are simply editing, 2-3% or a nice processor and 1-2GB of RAM is reasonable. Editing supported media isn't very resource intensive. You should see massive spikes in resource utilization when rendering or exporting. Premiere is designed to take up as much of the available system power as it needs, but only when it actually needs it.

Return to posts index

Max Farrell
on Jan 31, 2015 at 6:05:39 pm

Rendering actually, it doesn't seem slow it just seems like more of the resources should be being used. Oh and yes I am using Mercury Playback Engine.

Return to posts index

Jason Guerra
on Jan 31, 2015 at 7:14:32 pm

If your playback engine is set to OpenCL then it's offloading a lot of the rendering to the GPU and even rendering on the fly during playback. Mercury Engine is cool that way. That also means it still wouldn't necessarily show up as being very processor or RAM intensive. Premiere is very GPU driven. As an experiment you can try changing the playback engine to the "software only" setting. That should force Premiere to relay less on the GPU and more on the other system resources. I would't recommend keeping it set that way, it uses the GPU for a reason, but it should show you the difference.

Have you tried exporting through Adobe Media Encoder? Media Encoder will usually grab every bit of system resource it can.

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Feb 1, 2015 at 1:32:02 am

[Max Farrell] "Rendering actually, it doesn't seem slow it just seems like more of the resources should be being used. Oh and yes I am using Mercury Playback Engine."

It also depends on what formats you are exporting. Some processes are confined to a 32-bit operation and as such can't tap into all the available resources of modern computers (like any Quicktime formats). As Jason suggested though, using the Mercury Playback Engine (OpenCL for AMD video cards, CUDA for Nvidia) is the best as Adobe apps make rampant use of the GPU's on your system.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]