ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Squeezing extra wide source into 1280x720 for hardware playback to multiple projectors

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott WhiteheadSqueezing extra wide source into 1280x720 for hardware playback to multiple projectors
by on Jan 29, 2015 at 5:20:28 pm

Hi. I am editing a video for presentation on a 30'x10' screen using 2 edge blended projectors. Project is being edited at 2160x720. The AV company is going to be playing the video back on a grass valley turbo hardware playback device. They have asked me to squeeze my 2160x720 into 1280x720 for hardware playback and they said that their grass valley switcher will stretch the video back out to 2160 for projection. They have assured me there will not be any data loss but I am skeptical and concerned about degradation of the video. Here are my questions:

• Will there be any data loss in this method?
  • I am editing in Premiere. What settings should I use on export as far as pixel aspect ratio? I believe there are 2 options for me but don't know which is correct. A)Set resolution to 1280x720, pixel aspect to 16x9, and select Stretch to fill under source scaling or B) Set resolution to 1280x720, pixel aspect to square, and select Stretch to fill under source scaling

• Thanks
    Scott

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Squeezing extra wide source into 1280x720 for hardware playback to multiple projectors
    by on Jan 29, 2015 at 6:38:41 pm

[Scott Whitehead] "Will there be any data loss in this method?"

Not really data loss per se, but resolution loss for sure. The switcher would be scaling up 168%, horizontal only. Any 1-pixel vertical line would essentially become 2 pixels thick. You can preview this yourself by outputting the file as they have requested, then dropping it into a 2160x720 sequence and scaling it to fit.

If they can handle it from an engineering perspective, you'd keep more pixels if you output 1920x640 image inside a 1920x1080 frame and had them blow that up to 2160x720 (only 112%).

Don't just do this without asking, though -- you need to have a conversation with them to make sure this would work with their engineering.

[Scott Whitehead] " B) Set resolution to 1280x720, pixel aspect to square, and select Stretch to fill under source scaling"

This one.

Walter Soyka
    Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
    Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
    @keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Scott WhiteheadRe: Squeezing extra wide source into 1280x720 for hardware playback to multiple projectors
    by on Jan 29, 2015 at 6:52:30 pm

Walter,

Thanks for your reply. In your 1pix to 2pix example...if the original edit has a vertical line that is 2 pix wide, I squeeze it down to 1280 wide so that now that line is 1 pix wide, and then they scale it back to 2160 wide it would essentially be back to where it started (2pix) correct? With some resolution loss I'm sure, but maybe not enough to be perceptible?

I did a test similar to what you suggested by taking a screengrab of the full resolution 2160x720 into Photoshop and then laying a screengrab of the 1280x720 on top of it and scaling it to fit horizontally. There was some subtle visual differences (easy to see by setting the top layer to "difference" blend mode) but not as much as I would have expected.

I don't think they will be able to do the 1920 x 1080 because the whole system will be synced at 720p (other screens/projectors, video cameras, imag, etc).

Scott

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Squeezing extra wide source into 1280x720 for hardware playback to multiple projectors
    by on Jan 29, 2015 at 8:51:07 pm

[Scott Whitehead] "In your 1pix to 2pix example...if the original edit has a vertical line that is 2 pix wide, I squeeze it down to 1280 wide so that now that line is 1 pix wide, and then they scale it back to 2160 wide it would essentially be back to where it started (2pix) correct? With some resolution loss I'm sure, but maybe not enough to be perceptible?"

Correct.

As to whether it's perceptible -- that really depends on your content. Fine detail will get lost, diagonals will get stair-stepped a bit, but lots of other content will be ok. This anamorphic squeeze is a bit beyond DVCPRO HD.

[Scott Whitehead] "I don't think they will be able to do the 1920 x 1080 because the whole system will be synced at 720p (other screens/projectors, video cameras, imag, etc). "

Depends on the system: some switchers excel at combining multiple resolutions and frame rates.

Walter Soyka
    Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
    Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
    @keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
    [TOP]