ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Source: 1080i m2ts 29.97fps --> Destination: PAL DVD

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alberto BedinSource: 1080i m2ts 29.97fps --> Destination: PAL DVD
by on Jan 25, 2015 at 8:25:13 pm
Last Edited By Alberto Bedin on Jan 25, 2015 at 8:25:50 pm

Ok, this is quite odd but I have to do this:

My input is: m2ts 1080i 29.97 fps stream.

I have to output it on a PAL DVD (25 fps).

My idea is: edit in Premiere, add chapter markers and then Export with the DVD PAL Widescreen preset.

Any better ideas?

Any problems? Will the video be choppy going from 29.97 to 25?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Source: 1080i m2ts 29.97fps --> Destination: PAL DVD
by on Jan 26, 2015 at 2:17:51 am
Last Edited By Chris Wright on Jan 26, 2015 at 2:21:44 am

1. is it true 1080i. That is 29.97i or 59.94 fields. You interpret top field and get a 29.97fps comp. See (3).

2. is it 3:2 interlaced pulldown or 29.97fps whole frames? that makes a big difference in the answer you get.
3:2 pulldown interpret footage makes it actually 23.976 then you timestretch(speed up video and audio 4%) at 0.95904 to get 25fps and conform size to PAL widescreen and PAL color management. Technically even the audio is mixed differently.

3. if 29.97fps non-interlaced, terrenax, twixtor, FCP compressor, or even timewarp in AE. and leave audio alone.
http://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/converting-movies.html#convert_d...

http://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/time-stretching-time-remapping.h...

Return to posts index

Alberto BedinRe: Source: 1080i m2ts 29.97fps --> Destination: PAL DVD
by on Jan 26, 2015 at 9:27:53 pm

Hi Chris,

thanks for you reply. Unfortunately I'm not understanding what you are trying to say to me.

My video is a AVC-Intra 100 1080i (Premiere says 29,97 fps and nothing else).

What you suggest to do?

Return to posts index

Jeff PuleraRe: Source: 1080i m2ts 29.97fps --> Destination: PAL DVD
by on Jan 26, 2015 at 3:14:48 pm

PAL DVD players have hardware in them to convert NTSC discs to PAL, so the simplest course of action may be to simply author an NTSC DVD for the client. The end result is that the DVD player will do a better conversion to PAL than software (unless you go high-end conversion process).

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

by on Jan 26, 2015 at 9:36:51 pm

Hi Jeff,

thanks for your reply.

I think exporting to NTSC is a good idea. It will be played back both from DVD players and from computers with a players such as VLC, right?

Only one question: I created an interlaced timeline.

When I go to export from Premiere to mpeg2-DVD NTSC Widescreen the default field is wrong:

Should I change it?

Or should I export to progressive instead of interlaced?

Thank you
Alberto

Return to posts index

by on Jan 27, 2015 at 2:36:13 pm

Hi Alberto,

While NTSC DVDs are normally lower field, it is fine to choose UPPER for the DVD encode to avoid flipping the field order.

If making files for VLC, then you might wish to just make a second encode using H.264 and Progressive for computer playback - computer displays do not handle interlaced video well and you will get better results if you just make a progressive file for that purpose. And then it could also be HD rather than SD (DVD) quality.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

by on Jan 27, 2015 at 8:10:52 pm

Hi Jeff,

thanks for your reply and your time.

I usually export on h264 for computer playback. However this time I have to export to only 1 format: DVD. However I'm quite sure that the DVD will be played both on DVD player and on computer.

1) Does it make sense to export to progressive DVD because of computer playback?

2) If I export as interlaced, does the change of field order decrease or alter the video quality?

Thank you

Return to posts index

by on Jan 27, 2015 at 8:16:01 pm

1) You can test how the DVD looks as progressive if you want. I sometimes do that, but not with Adobe, it's a very involved 3rd-party workflow that I utilize.

2) As discussed earlier, don't change the field order - change DVD encode setting to UPPER field to match the 1080i source.

3) Software DVD players will have different methods/options of deinterlacing, results may vary

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

by on Jan 27, 2015 at 9:45:18 pm

Hi Jeff,

thanks again for your reply.

I noticed that Quicktime and Windows Media Players de-interlace a lot better than VLC (even if I try all different de-interlacing settings on VLC).

By the way I think that de-interlacing is turned off by default on VLC but it is not on Quicktime and WMP.

So I will try to export as NTSC DVD Widescreen Interlaced (upper first).

I will let you know how the final result will look.

Thank you

Return to posts index

by on Jan 29, 2015 at 10:00:37 am

Ok, done :)

The final result is a interlaced upper 720x480 29,97fps (NTSC) DVD.

I tested it on a computer with VLC and it works with auto de-interlacing on.

I also tested it on a Sony DVD/Blu-ray player on a Sony Bravia TV (connected by using HDMI). However when the DVD starts the TV says "progressive" signal. Probably the player is doing and upscaling and conversion to 1080p?

The image isn't so sharp. It has some horizontal lines (as a de-interlaced file).

Return to posts index

Ken MitchellRe: Source: 1080i m2ts 29.97fps --> Destination: PAL DVD
by on Feb 14, 2015 at 2:33:43 pm

I would usually make a pass to deinterlace the file first. Just use uncompressed and preferably adaptive deinterlacing. The second pass would be the size and frame rate. Depending on the horizontal motion you can play with the frame blending.Doing a conversion with deinterlacing,frame rate change and size change all at the same time usually results in an inferior product. Hardware will always do a better job than software so if you know someone with a dedicated converter try them. When ever I create PAL dvd's or blurays I always give the clients both an NTSC and a PAL version and let the clients decide what works the best.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]