ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

16:9 video being treated as 4:3 by CS5

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frazer Ash
16:9 video being treated as 4:3 by CS5
on Jan 21, 2015 at 1:37:36 pm

I'm relatively new to Premiere, though not a complete noob, but am having issues with how CS5 is interpreting a piece of footage I'm using. Any guidance would be HUGELY appreciated!

From the ground up: I have a 16:9 video I created in AE (square pixel, 1920x1080, .MOV). When I import it into Premiere and view it in the source window it displays correctly, however once it's dropped into the timeline, using it to define the sequence settings through the New Item tab, the preview window shows it as 4:3.

Alternatively, if I use a widescreen preset, then drop the footage onto the timeline, though the preview remains 16:9, the footage is automatically scaled up (though it still shows as a scale of 100% under motion effects) and becomes horribly pixelated. Scaling down doesn't help, and the playback resolution is set to full, so it's not that.

I've been round the houses trying to ascertain what's going on here but I'm drawing a total blank. Is it something I'm doing (most likely) or is Premiere messing with me?

Super huge massive thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: 16:9 video being treated as 4:3 by CS5
on Jan 21, 2015 at 4:45:05 pm

In the Bin, right-click the clip (or Mac equivalent) and choose MODIFY > INTERPRET.

What does it say for specs? You can change the aspect ratio and such there to over-ride what Premiere thinks about the footage.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Frazer Ash
on Jan 21, 2015 at 5:01:11 pm

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your response.

Re-interpreting the footage was one of the things I tried, yes, but that didn't do it for me. However, I've since learnt that, in this instance at least, the aspect ratio was essentially irrelevant. It was the codec involved in the clip that was the issue - to generate the correct sequence settings for my AE animated file I had to create a custom preset. Upon creating a new sequence I set it to Digital SLR 1080p25, then went to the general tab, changed editing mode to Desktop, then the video preview file format to Animation, ensuring the dimensions were 1920 x 1080, then saved the preset. Premiere then treated the footage as it should.

I'm sure this is no doubt an amateur mistake, but maybe this info will prove useful to someone else down the line, since all my troubleshooting was focused in the wrong place, i.e the aspect ratio.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jan 21, 2015 at 5:11:56 pm

Hi Frazer,

Glad you got things sorted. Are you using PC or Mac? There may be better intermediate codec choices for your workflow, once I know what you are using.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Frazer Ash
on Jan 21, 2015 at 5:34:54 pm

Hi Jeff,

I'm working on a Mac, running CS5. If that's of use...

Frazer

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jan 21, 2015 at 6:22:43 pm

Not sure if CS5 pre-dates Apple ProRes, but if you have that option, ProRes would be a great format to work with between apps.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]