ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Importing a ProTools session in PremierePro

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
nikola curavicImporting a ProTools session in PremierePro
by on Jan 20, 2015 at 7:56:23 pm

Hello everybody.

My problem is when i listen in premiere an 24/48Khz .wav multiple mono file exported from pro tools (no effects, no nothing on it), it's ugly, flat and 'less stereo' comparing to the original file directly imported and listened in premiere.
Is there a way to export a kind of "xml" file from pro tools that i can import in premiere so it can automatically rebuilt the big cut work done in pro tools? If no what is your way of doing that thing well? How can i improve it? If the only solution is to cut and edit my sound directly in premiere, well it's bad news..

Thank you for your answers.

Return to posts index

Massimo Alberto CroceRe: Importing a ProTools session in PremierePro
by on Jan 20, 2015 at 9:22:21 pm

Export AAF or omf from prototools and import in premiere.

Massimo Alberto Croce
Video Editor, Colorist, Pro Tools Editor
massimoalberto.croce@gmail.com

Return to posts index

nikola curavicRe: Importing a ProTools session in PremierePro
by on Jan 21, 2015 at 12:07:53 am

I have tried and it doesnt work well. The new sequence created in premiere with an AAF file is a big mess : all the original raw files + fades are following each other in a very long line and on the end, a one block PT session, with no cut, no mix, no nothing.
Tell me if it works for you. OMF files are not read by (my?) premiere.
The only trick i've found is import the OMF in audition and tadahhh : the pro tools cut and editing is here but no key frame volume mixing, no fade, cross fade etc (in fact they exist, each fade is now a cut.. so it needs to be reassemble and re-faded..) but at least the cut is preserved.
pfff. I dont want to get rid of pro tools because it's very handy but maybe premiere+audition is a good compromise.

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: Importing a ProTools session in PremierePro
by on Jan 21, 2015 at 5:14:17 pm

at what point in the work was the project passed to Pro tools?

traditionally this is after picture lock in edit...

not sure I understand your workflow here

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX

Return to posts index

by on Jan 21, 2015 at 6:04:26 pm

Ok, no mystery here. I edit the video in premiere and the sound in pro tools. I dont send my PP project in PT (no AAF OMF i know it's the principal problem on google search), i just export a .mov for sound edit. When, in PT, the edit, cut, fade are ok, i export one .wav that i import in PP and done, video+sound are in premiere for final export. But i've realised that the .wav from PT listening in premiere is very not that good : essentially but clearly : less deep pan but more clipping. But in PT my mix is good and safe.
So to improve i am searching for a way to export my PT session with the cuts, fades, automation etc into premiere so i can have the edit/work done in pro tools into premiere but with the ability to re-link the sound media to their original files.
It's like with the .xml file between premiere and davinci resolve. You only export the information about the cut and some other stuff, no media is touched/exported, and the quality is preserved.
But part of the solution is to go through audition, it can read the OMF file from PT. It's a little bit messy in audition then (all the mix is gone, fades are translated as cut) but the general edit/cut and some information are preserved and medias are linked to their original, so it's a start.
Do you have a better solution, how do you do? My next project is now edited in audition for easier round-trip.

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: Importing a ProTools session in PremierePro
by on Jan 21, 2015 at 7:07:58 pm

yes… but even in a resolve workflow….

it's PPro > resolve….

not resolve > PPro (with edits anyway)…

tools that exist in one software don't exist in the other…. So this is not possible.

I suppose you can pass stems (mixes of each Pro tools track) back to pPro with fx….

but you'd lose your edits…

I don't think this works this way.

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX

Return to posts index

by on Jan 21, 2015 at 11:40:39 pm

Yes no easy solution here, but thanks Alex for answering and yes your right about .xml files between PP and Resolve. The solution will come from Avid and/or Adobe but we can dream about a Avidobe collaboration about that problem. AAF/OMF files between ProTools and Audition are so close to be perfect for an easy round trip. Kep trying ^^

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]