ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Quicktime Reference Movies Choking Premiere

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonahan Le
Quicktime Reference Movies Choking Premiere
on Jan 20, 2015 at 5:03:02 am

Hello,

We are working on an episodic series whose files have all been generated from an Avid. The workflow has been to use the Avid to generate quicktime reference movies which point to the original .MXF files, which includes one video file and at least five separate audio files.

The issue is that we have unworkable periods where the media is pending while it searches and indexes for those sources files. (hours at a time) If the project is re-started this process continues again from the beginning. We have tried everything we can think of; mirrored the exact directory structure of the Avid, tried emptying every cache there is in Premiere, moving it across systems and drives but nothing seems to work.

We are on a beefy Mac and our Premiere is up to date. Any advice would be a life-saver.

Jonathan

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Quicktime Reference Movies Choking Premiere
on Jan 20, 2015 at 6:00:29 am

Don't work with reference QTs. Export DNxHD full quality QT files and edit with those. Or edit with the Avid MXF files...Adobe does do that.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jonahan Le
on Jan 20, 2015 at 12:23:01 pm

I wish we could edit natively but unfortunately that was a decision made by the senior post supervisor who will be doing all the online on the Avid. The reference movie workflow is set in stone at this point. In your opinion are these files unworkable in a Premiere eco-system?

Many thanks for the response.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 20, 2015 at 6:10:38 pm

They work...but I'm wondering if the sheer amount of them is what is choking the system. You said it has to constantly re-index. I've tested and they are pretty snappy when I have just a handful, but I haven't tried it with the amount of footage you are.

Is this a tried and tested workflow? Any reason you aren't cutting on Avid if you are onlining on Avid?

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Jonahan Le
on Jan 20, 2015 at 7:44:13 pm

That's interesting because on my end even a single clip takes about 20-30seconds to load in a clean project. This show is split among a bunch of freelance editors and I guess is test Avid workflow. Doing the offline in Avid for us wasn't something our editor didn't felt comfortable doing so we opted for Premiere.

Thanks again, I appreciate all the help.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 20, 2015 at 7:52:53 pm

Well, if you offlined in Premiere, and onlined in Avid...the only thing you could do is simple cutting...perhaps add a dissolve. No effects, no resizing...just basic cutting. Because any effects won't have an equivalent in Avid...unless you used Sapphire effects or something both use. So basic cutting in both is pretty close, so the editor might want to learn Avid...especially if many shows are going to be cut on Avid.

The production company/post super decides what NLE is going to be used, and the editors need to use it. At least in my experience. It's all about making the post process go smoothly. What you have going on seems like it'll make the post process tricky as all get out. How were you all going to get the cut from Premiere to Avid and have it link? And was it tested? You don't need to tell me...if it was tested and worked, then I can see doing this....if all involved are cool with the process. I'm just saying it'd be a lot easier if you edited with Avid in this situation.

So...a new project, with only a couple (I tested with 10) imported QT reference files causes slowness? I tested on a 2012 MacBook Pro with 16GB of RAM, and with 10 clips, things were snappy. Just thinking that a project with hundreds of clips to link to referenced MXF might bog the system down.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Jonahan Le
on Jan 20, 2015 at 8:01:25 pm

Avid would have been the path of least resistance:) It's funny how people get tied to their NLEs.

I was thinking that perhaps our issue is related to the codec that our MXFs were provided us to which is DNX?

Here are the full details:
Type: MXF
File Size: 1.8 GB
Image Size: 1920 x 1080
Frame Rate: 23.976
Total Duration: 00:07:05:16
Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0

MXF File details:
Wrapper type: MXF-OP Atom (type: N Tracks N SourceClips)
File generated by: Blackmagic Design, DaVinci Resolve (11.1)
Compression ID: DNxHD 1080p 45 8-bit
Effective Video Bitrate: 36 Mbps

I have downloaded a trial of Media Composer and going to see how things open in Avid.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 20, 2015 at 8:05:01 pm

I don't think that's it. I tested the 10 clips from Avid as DNxHD. All were DNxHD 175 encoded from RED and BMD Cinema Camera and Canon DSLR.

I suspect it's the sheer volume of clips in the project. Because I made a project with 10 files imported...QT Ref made from Avid linking to DNxHD MXF files, and things were snappy.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Jonahan Le
on Jan 20, 2015 at 9:28:59 pm

That would be frustrating because each episode contains thousands of clips. I don't suspect that is the case though as I am in Avid right now and even in there the files seem to be linking quickly.

Perhaps the issue is related to the original output of the file? I think we have devised a work-around of re-linking all the reference movies to the .mxf files and then when the edit is complete relinking back. Not a very elegant solution but seem to work.

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
on Jan 21, 2015 at 11:49:25 am

Remembered seeing this the other day. Not sure if it will help, but worth a look.

https://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/3/944451

Asus P6X58D Premium * Core i7 950 * 24GB RAM * nVidia GeForce GTX 770 * Windows 7 Premium 64bit * System Drive - WD Caviar Black 500GB * 2nd Drive(Pagefile, Previews) - WD Velociraptor 10K drive 600GB * Media Drive - 2TB RAID0 (4 - WD Caviar Black 500GB drive) * Matrox MX02 Mini * Adobe CC * QuickTime 7.7.5
-------------------------------------------
"98% of all computer issues can be solved by simply pressing 'F1'."
Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]