ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Micro budget editing system

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dory BreauxMicro budget editing system
by on Jan 20, 2015 at 1:31:20 am

First post, although I've lurked for quite some time.

My editing PC recently took a long walk off a short pier and I need to put a new one together. It couldn't have come at a worst time due to medical bills, and I'm on a super constricted budget. Ive been looking at older refurbished Xeon workstations as an option, and I want to get some input.

A little background; I shoot semi professionally, but the majority of my work is personal at the moment. I shoot mostly wildlife and timelapse, with a little action sports (and do some still work, mostly people and landscape). The majority of my footage is CineDNG from Magic Lantern, and Cineform conformed timelapse footage. I'm planning on moving up to something like an Ursa in the not super far off future. I am pretty familiar and capable when it comes to building PCs, in highschool I made extra money building for people in my town. I dont know very much about Xenon setups, or ECC RAM.

What I'm wondering is, would an older HP xw8600 with twin Xeon quad cores (looking at one with the E5440 at 2.8ghz) with 32bg of ECC ddr2 out perform a slightly new (home built) AMD Vishera hexacore at 4ghz with 16gb of ddr3, most other things being equal. My storage is a RAID0 stack of 6x 2gb 7200rpm, so I'm not super worried about internal storage (either one would probably boot from SSD and use SSD for cache drive).

Any input would be welcome and appreciated!

Return to posts index

Dory BreauxRe: Micro budget editing system
by on Jan 20, 2015 at 2:57:19 am

Primarily use Premiere, After Effects, Lightroom and Resolve.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved