ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

New CPU but older CPU was used more effeciently by Premiere CS6?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Manders
New CPU but older CPU was used more effeciently by Premiere CS6?
on Jan 20, 2015 at 1:00:43 am

Today I bought an i7 3770 to upgrade from my old i5 2500k. The i7 is a tad faster and has hyperthreading which should make it around 30-35% faster in heavy threaded tasks like rendering and exporting.
Great. So I thought. But there seems to be something wrong and I don't know what.

Before, when I was exporting a file on my i5 2500k, the CPU was utilized 100%. Let's say that an average movie of 7 min was taking around 45 min to complete.
So now I was testing the i7 3770. And what happens is, that the same export now also takes 45 min. When I check the activity of the CPU, I see that it is only used for around 40-60% at best! Why?

So I did a stress test and I worked nicely. No throttling occured and the CPU went all the way up to 100% usage. Also when I create a timeline, put some clips on it and add effects like warp stabilizer and film convert and press 'render', it goes up to 100% and it is much faster than my old i5 2500k.

However, when I EXPORT a file in h264 while using the same settings as I always did, it only uses my CPU for 40-60%... What could have happened here?

I tried an export from a project both on the internal 7200 rpm HDD and a USB 3.0 7200rpm hard disk. (The one I always used to edit from)

What is the problem here?

Computer specs:
Windows 7
Premiere CS6
i7 3770
12 GB RAM (Dual Channel + Single channel)
Nvidia GTX 660
1 TB WD HDD @ 7200 RPM
Asus P8P67-M Mainboard

So, it's not the temps. And nothing else has changed except for a new CPU which should be faster than the old. And it is when it's fully used. Except for the fact that it isn't while exporting a h.264 file whereas the old CPU was. Any ideas?
Thanks so much.

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
Re: New CPU but older CPU was used more effeciently by Premiere CS6?
on Jan 20, 2015 at 4:57:02 pm

Are your memory allocation settings in prefs identical or equivalent (if the amount of ram has changed)?

just a guess…..

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Jan 20, 2015 at 5:05:09 pm

I see you are on cs 6.

while the h.264 encoding is using cpu to do that cc 2014 introduced
gpu acceleration on export if any resizing is happening. It speeds
encoding up quite a bit.

something to consider.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jan 20, 2015 at 5:28:06 pm

See if CS6 is running GPU Hardware acceleration, or software mode.

Utilizing the GTX 660 should improve overall performance quite a bit.

Go to C:\Programs\Adobe\Premiere Pro\cuda_supported_cards.txt and delete that text file, then CS6 should automatically just use your GPU.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Tim Manders
on Jan 20, 2015 at 9:23:00 pm

Thanks guys for the replies.

I am already using the GTX 660 with Premiere CS6. The Mercury playback with hardware acceleration is already enabled. And it also was before with my my older CPU.

The problem is not so much the speed I'm getting now. The problem is that the old i5 2500k was utilized 100% when doing an h.264 movie export, and the new i7 3770 is only used for 60%. Therefore the exports take the same amount of time... But I'm sure the i7 could decrease the time it would take to export if it was utilized for 100%.

So I was thinking that there might be something wrong with the new CPU. However, when I render certain effects like the Warp Stabilizer, the 3770 is utilized for 100%. Also when I do a stress test it performs fine and fully loads to 100%.

So maybe the export times cannot be further improved than what the i5 2500k already could accomplish because of a bottleneck? (Hard disk then maybe?)
Or might there be something wrong in my settings?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]