ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Premiere Pro CC Continues To Crash Continuously

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carlos Mandelbaum
Premiere Pro CC Continues To Crash Continuously
on Jan 19, 2015 at 10:03:37 pm

I am running Premiere Pro CC 2014, the latest version, on a Mac Pro running the latest version of Yosemite.

PP crashes all the time. When I move a clip; when I try to quit; when move a title from the bin to the timeline. It crashes about 5 times an hour, no matter
what kind of project I'm on, using whatever kind of footage.

I've already made sure my permissions are ok for Premiere Pro CC to write to all the appropriate folders in preferences, etc. I thought this would fix the issue, and things appeared to be marginally better for about a week.

But the problem persists.

Any ideas? I've loved Adobe Premiere Pro, but if this is not solved, I need to move on. My business simply demands it.

This is the first time I've genuinely felt that Adobe is dropping the ball.

Note to my friends at Adobe. STABILITY is the most important thing. Not features. STABILITY. I sincerely hope you are not following Apple's lead in delivering software and at ever-increasing rate with shittier and shittier quality.

Thanks.

david

Return to posts index

Michael Maller
Re: Premiere Pro CC Continues To Crash Continuously
on Jan 19, 2015 at 10:13:28 pm

Carlos, Sorry to hear about your crashing troubles. A question for you...
Did you happen to migrate an older computers files over to your new MacPro using migration assistant?
I know that Apple says this is ok, but it is not a good idea in general and Yosemite seems to be more sensitive to this migration.

Return to posts index

Carlos Mandelbaum
on Jan 19, 2015 at 10:21:51 pm

No, I did no migration. Everything has been the same on my computer, except for updating to Adobe Premiere Pro CC.

Return to posts index

Daniel Sametz
on Jan 19, 2015 at 10:54:52 pm

The same thing happens to me and it's geting quite annoying.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 19, 2015 at 11:57:03 pm

So, all of you seem to be having these issues since switching to Yosemite, what is so important to you in Yosemite that you can't simply go back to Mavericks?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Carlos Mandelbaum
on Jan 20, 2015 at 12:09:04 am

For one, the problem is not limited to Yosemite. As I have investigated this online, a number of Windows users have had a similar issue.

But even, for the sake of argument, if it was limited to Yosemite, the burden should not be upon us. If Premiere Pro CC 2014 is incompatible with Yosemite, the burden is on Adobe to inform us not to update.

But they have not.

Yosemite was released in Beta to developers last June and has been out since October 17. Perhaps Adobe's engineers do not have the competence to create software that is compatible. Fair enough. But they should simply let us know before an important OS upgrade is released.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 20, 2015 at 12:58:30 am

[Carlos Mandelbaum] "But even, for the sake of argument, if it was limited to Yosemite, the burden should not be upon us. If Premiere Pro CC 2014 is incompatible with Yosemite, the burden is on Adobe to inform us not to update.

But they have not.

Yosemite was released in Beta to developers last June and has been out since October 17. Perhaps Adobe's engineers do not have the competence to create software that is compatible. Fair enough. But they should simply let us know before an important OS upgrade is released."

Carlos,

While I don't disagree with you in principle, your argument above has been argued by software users for years against virtually every software manufacturer under the sun, but unfortunately it's a losing proposition, because virtually all manufacturers long ago implemented a "fake it until you make it policy."

So, even though you may be 100% right, that will never save your bacon at the end of the day, the only thing that will is cloning your working boot drive before installing any update, so you always have a working system to fall back on.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

John Moio
on Jul 4, 2015 at 9:30:53 pm

I'm on Windows 7 PC and I never had a problem with Premiere Pro until this week, it's been crashing continuously, I don't know why or how that happens, but It's annoying me, and I don't know what to do about it. Any suggestions?
John Moio

Return to posts index

Robert Wentz
on Jan 20, 2015 at 12:23:33 am
Last Edited By Robert Wentz on Jan 20, 2015 at 12:38:56 am

Hi Carlos/David:

First off you say "no matter what kind of project I'm on, using whatever kind of footage. "
It would actually be helpful to troubleshoot the cause of this issue if you can give examples of the type of footage you're editing -- what camera was the footage shot from? Is it raw footage? What codec is the footage you're editing? Are these mixed codec sequences? What is your GPU(s)? Do you have any AV I/O card installed in your system (AJA/BlackMagic) and is Mercury Transmit enabled, outputting the video to a reference monitor/plasma/second monitor/etc?

Premier is a pro editing solution that does all things for all people so it helps to keep that in mind when asking for help.

You didn't mention anything about your sequence settings - here's what I'd recommend here, based on my experience, and by all means this is open to debate:
Select your sequence's timeline. Go to Sequence>Sequence Settings Override the "Editing Mode" by selecting "Custom". Under "Video Previews" Set the "preview file format" to "QuickTime". For most purposes then set your Codec to ProRes 422(HQ). Hit OK, then hit OK again...

After that, I'd move on to give the system some apparently much needed TLC.
typical TLC steps which normally tend to resolve the types of issues you describe:

Trash premier preferences. The need to do this is not an "Adobe Issue" it is a maintenance step, not unlike changing oil in your car. you can do this manually, or download digital rebellion's preference manager: http://www.digitalrebellion.com/prefman/

(NOTE: Any preference setting you've made or kb shortcut that has NOT been sync'd to your cloud acct will be gone. As of 2014 you must sync to the cloud in order to keep your shortcuts, etc)

Trash your media cache. Same explanation as above. Go to Preferences>Media to find where the location of the media cache, and instead of "cleaning" the database through the preference pane in premier, just manually trash the contents of the folder.

Take out the trash.

(NOTE: After tossing media cache you'll simply need to wait for premier to rebuild the cache for that project next time you open it)

After doing the steps above, reboot the computer, gracefully. If you're the type who tends to press and hold the power button of your computer to force shut it down I'd recommend shutting it down then restarting while pressing cmd+alt+P+R to clear the NV/PRAM.

If the problem persists go to Disk utility and repair disk permissions on your system drive, then reboot gracefully (as in don't press/hold the power button)

Should problems STILL persist you may have a permissions issue with your media/project folder - open perms by going to terminal and sudo chmod -R 777 the folder containing your project/media.

Return to posts index

Carlos Mandelbaum
on Jan 20, 2015 at 12:32:06 am

Thanks, Robert. I'll give it a whirl tomorrow and let you know.

Return to posts index

Carlos Mandelbaum
on Jan 20, 2015 at 2:03:05 am

@Robert Wentz,

Ok, I followed your advice. Only way to tell if it works is as I continue on projects.

With regards to your question about "different types of footage," perhaps I could have been more clear.

I have a new client for whom I need to create cuts from footage with a variety of frame rates and dimensions. At first, I thought that was the culprit. So
I tried the workaround of rendering my sequences, but crash problem still persisted.

In addition, when I have consistent footage, let's say from a Canon 5D, and a sequence that exactly matches the source footage, the crashing has also happened then, though not so frequently.

Assuming that the mixed frame rate/dimensions are at least a partial cause of the problem, what would you recommend? Should I transcode beforehand, and to what? and through what (in your opinion) is the most efficient method?

In any event, thanks for the advice. I'll keep you informed.

david

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Jan 20, 2015 at 5:06:23 pm
Last Edited By Chris Borjis on Jan 20, 2015 at 5:06:55 pm

I had updated to the latest version when it came out and
found it too unstable/unresponsive to use for production work.

I have since reverted to 2014.1

It seems like every other adobe release has issues.

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Jan 21, 2015 at 10:19:37 pm
Last Edited By Kevin Monahan on Jan 21, 2015 at 10:34:51 pm

Hi Carlos,
[Carlos Mandelbaum] "I am running Premiere Pro CC 2014, the latest version"

Can you verify that you are running 8.2? A lot of people aren't exactly sure which version they are running. Choose Premiere Pro > About Premiere Pro and find the version there.

[Carlos Mandelbaum] "on a Mac Pro running the latest version of Yosemite."

Was everything functioning normally under OS X 10.9.x Mavericks before you updated to Yosemite? Or have you always had these issues?

Do you have NVIDIA GPUs? Certain NVIDIA GPUs are having trouble with Yosemite.

Was everything functioning normally until you updated to the "latest version of Premiere Pro?"

[Carlos Mandelbaum] "When I move a clip; when I try to quit; when move a title from the bin to the timeline."

Do you have the Google Chrome extension, "Pushbullet" installed? If so, remove it. It can cause issues like this.

You may also want to try deleting your preview files in addition to the advice that Robert gave you earlier.

[Carlos Mandelbaum] "This is the first time I've genuinely felt that Adobe is dropping the ball. "

Sorry you feel that way. It could be something other than Premiere Pro as both my systems are running flawlessly. That said, I have avoided both Mavericks and Yosemite on my personal Mac (I know that's not an option for all Macs), though Premiere Pro is supported on both of these OS'. My Windows 8 system is also working without issues.

[Carlos Mandelbaum] "Note to my friends at Adobe. STABILITY is the most important thing. Not features. STABILITY. I sincerely hope you are not following Apple's lead in delivering software and at ever-increasing rate with shittier and shittier quality."

Regarding stability, my system does not crash. I think we need to make sure your system is 100% free of items that might be causing your issues.

One thing I certainly cannot recommend that that is updating project files from one version to the next. This can cause project corruption.

Can we get more details? Here are the questions we usually ask: https://forums.adobe.com/message/4200840#4200840
We need to know more details to help.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Support Product Manager—DVA
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

David Intrator
on Jan 28, 2015 at 4:17:16 pm

Hi Kevin,

First of all, my set up:

Mac Pro (Early 2009) 2 X 2.66 GHz Quad Core
16 GB Memory
ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB Graphics Card

Running Yosemite 10.10.1

I had also gotten crashes occasionally on Mavericks, but it's really grabbed my attention on Yosemite with PP CC 2014.2

I do not have NVDIA GPUs.

The Chrome Extension Pushbullet" is not installed.

More recent crash incidents that might illuminate the problem:

Just finished up a project: 8 crashes in two days. Most of them happened while trying to export.

The crashes appear to be random, meaning, I'll try to export a sequence and it crashes 99% of the way in.
Then I render the sequence before exporting (don't know if that really helps, but what the heck), and it exports ok.

Then I try another export of the same sequence with the same export settings and it crashes, this time about 5% in.

Then I try again and crashes.

Then I quit PP, restart my computer, and it exports fine the next time around.

Other crash incidents involved simple things like moving a matte with my mouse a few frames to the left or right.

With this project the sequence settings were the exact same as the source footage settings. There was some B-roll however with different specs. I would render those when I brought them into the timeline. In addition, very few dissolves or motion graphics.

So there's the export problem, plus a general crash problem apparently when I move certain items in the timeline.

It's really quite infuriating and I'm not sure what to do. Should I go back to PP 6? Back to PP CC 2014.1? Move on to Avid?

I've tried all the suggestions written up here and other places online, but they dont' really seem to help.

Any way for me to provide you with crash logs?

Need to solve this.

Like I said, I used to have occasional crashes with PP, but now continual crashing is part of my workflow.

I would suggest that you upgrade to Yosemite. The fact that an Adobe rep would not upgrade even to Mavericks is thought-provoking to say the least.

Once again, thanks.

Return to posts index

Ismail Abdelkhalek
on May 8, 2015 at 2:32:42 pm

Hi there!
Apparently Yosemite changed a bunch of permissions around and it messed with Premier.
I found the instructions in this article VERY helpful:

http://blogs.adobe.com/kevinmonahan/2014/09/10/premiere-pro-cc-freezing-on-...

good luck!

Return to posts index

Carlos Mandelbaum
on May 8, 2015 at 6:27:48 pm

Thanks Ismail,

This was one of the first solutions I tried, and it didn't resolve the issue. Many others who have also experienced the crashing have changed these permissions as well, to no avail.

Return to posts index

Olivier Talouarn
on May 25, 2015 at 11:58:18 pm

Dont search very far, your GPU is obsolete.

Return to posts index

Leo Houssami
on Jul 6, 2015 at 1:50:49 pm

Mine not only crashes but it restarts the whole computer every half an hour or so. I went to adobe website and got on a chat support service and the guy told me this is an apple hardware issue and i should go to an apple store to get help.
Personally i don'd think it's a mac book hardware issue.
So i the next day i got again into that chat support service, i thought maybe i will have another person that the other one to help me, maybe someone more experienced.
But this one was a lot worse, he asked for my permission to remotely access my laptop, and i was watching what he was doing, he took FOREVER and he kept clicking through settings outside and inside adobe software.Not only he made rendering, graphics and everything else slow but it kept crashing every half an hour or so. Should i give up on adobe and go back to Avid!
hmmmmmmm

Leo Houssami

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]