ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Cut-heavy editing between PP and AE

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Magnus Wolff SoerlieCut-heavy editing between PP and AE
by on Jan 19, 2015 at 2:52:22 pm
Last Edited By Magnus Wolff Soerlie on Jan 19, 2015 at 2:55:52 pm

Hi guys!
First of all, the reference (epilepsy warning). I also apologize if this is "silly", I'm doing more and visuals for my live show, and want to increase the production value by approaching things a bit more professional and efficient.

It's be great with some feedback on how to approach a task like this, because sync needs to be flawless, and it needs to be heavily stylized, not just a plain edited sequence. I'm of course using my eyes and ears as primary judges, but I'm also doing tempo calculations to match frames in addition (e.g. 1/16th @ 174bpm = 86,21ms pr. frame / 25fps = 40ms/frame. I'm using the musicMath app on iOS in case anyone's wondering, fabulous little tool).

I'm a soundguy by trade, but I've loved movies all my life, and have been using Premiere Pro and AE for a couple of years now "on the side", but I might approach stuff from the wrong angle.

I'm basically thinking to edit one section of music at the time (perhaps 8 bars depending on complexity), copy footage to new track, nest that and replace nest with AE comp. Or would it be smarter to to separate PP sequences for the different song parts? Any pro/cons on this? I've looked into what effects I can to natively in PP, but I guess at least half of the clips will have some AE-treatment.

Also, would it be smart to have a "B-roll" sequence with single frames lying around for those superfast edits? Am I asking for trouble by having AE-comps lying around supplying single frames from time to time?
My biggest problem is that once I start replacing clips from Premiere with AE comps, those parts gets REALLY laggy.
I guess the weak spot in my system is the graphics card, a MSI GTX 560Ti.
The system is dual Xeon 2620 6 core 2ghz and 32GB memory, running Win 7 Pro 64, reading data from a WD 10.000RPM Raptor. Motherboard is Asus Z9PE-D8 WS. Any tips on this?

My latest video ATM, mostly shot by myself, and the first finished thing I did (multiple cameras and formats over a year etc.), learned a ton doing this. And btw, the introsequence wasn't planned, I was huffing and puffing my way to the top in time for sunrise, and had the GoPro 3+ in my pocket, thinking "Why not?" :D

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved