ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

is having many media folders in a project a good strategy prior to import into Premiere Pro CC???

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicholas Natteauis having many media folders in a project a good strategy prior to import into Premiere Pro CC???
by on Jan 17, 2015 at 10:58:03 pm
Last Edited By Nicholas Natteau on Jan 17, 2015 at 11:10:49 pm

I'm about to start editing a long-format WWII documentary that includes several thousand media files (newsreels, stills, audio, maps, etc). Because I have so many files, I thought it best to organize them as much as I could into folders prior to importing them into Premiere Pro CC. I guess I figured I would try to be as organized as possible with my media right from the start. But I now wonder whether I may not have created too many folders. In naming the folders, I used the following abbreviations: NG = Nazi Germany / GA = German Army / R = Rommel

Just looking for advice / feedback. Would very much like to hear what media organizing strategy would work best with a long format doc-film that uses a vast number of files. Also, should I be using any other software other than Premiere itself for cataloguing and identifying the source media?

To see the two images full size, I posted them here on Flickr:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/55853159@N02/sets/72157648018982013/

Return to posts index

Gabriel SanchezRe: is having many media folders in a project a good strategy prior to import into Premiere Pro CC???
by on Jan 18, 2015 at 6:38:22 pm

I´m about to finish a documentary series (250 min total) with thousands of files with different formats and resolutions, and one thing i noticed is that being organized is the best option, so yes, if you have all your media classified in folders in your hard disk will help you to find your files very quickly, as well as navigate through them using the PPro Media Browser. This method will allow you to only import whatever file you need and no need to import the hole bunch of folders with lots of media that perhaps will not be useful for this proyect.
Another advice i can give you is to have same estructure in your PPro proyect pannel of this folders in your hard drive, so you will always have everything controlled and located, and link or unlink media as needed knowing always where to exactly find the files.
In addition, you can use Adobe Bridge to have every media file catalogued using tags, so you can locate instantly every video, audio or still image tagged with whatever keywords you need, and import them automatically into PPro double clicking the file in Bridge.

Regards

Return to posts index

Nicholas NatteauRe: is having many media folders in a project a good strategy prior to import into Premiere Pro CC???
by on Jan 18, 2015 at 7:02:51 pm

Thanks very much for your help Gabriel. About Bridge, I didn't find tags anywhere. I must be looking in the wrong menu then. Would they be in the metadata menu buried somewhere? But yes, tags would be awesome.

I actually ended up tagging my media using My Mac pro's Finder app. But I don't believe Premiere will recognize tags made in the Finder app, will it?

Return to posts index

Alex UdellRe: is having many media folders in a project a good strategy prior to import into Premiere Pro CC???
by on Jan 19, 2015 at 12:02:15 am

Metadata Keywords

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX

Return to posts index

Gabriel SanchezRe: is having many media folders in a project a good strategy prior to import into Premiere Pro CC???
by on Jan 19, 2015 at 10:51:28 pm

As Alex said they are metadata keywords, in metadata pannel. Then you can apply any filter in the filter pannel to have all your media filtered deppending on the keywords you want.
Regards

Return to posts index

Nicholas NatteauRe: is having many media folders in a project a good strategy prior to import into Premiere Pro CC???
by on Jan 20, 2015 at 4:42:33 am

Thank you all for your feedback. OK, so I've been adding keywords in Bridge, but I'm not understanding how those keywords would help me in Premiere.
Those keywords I added in Bridge don't show up in Premiere the way markers added in Prelude show up in Premiere. Am I missing something?

Return to posts index

by on Jan 20, 2015 at 5:31:15 am

Sorry I spoke too soon. It appears that keywords don't work with gif image files. I don't have many gif files but I guess the few that I have must be converted to another format to work with keywords, good to know.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 20, 2015 at 10:31:30 am
Last Edited By Gabriel Sanchez on Jan 20, 2015 at 10:35:29 am

Those metadata keywords can be used for making searchs within Bridge, locating and previewing media, and then if needed importing it in Premiere by double clicking the file in Bridge or right click and choosing Import to Premiere (PPro must be opened for these options).

If you want all done in Premiere, you can use too the Description column in Proyect Pannel to classify your files by adding keywords in the description field, then you can locate media using the proyect pannel´s search engine.

Also one thing that helped me was making media selected sequences, so in one sequence i had for example all the Space footage by dropping in this timeline all the selectec cuts of planets, galaxies or universes i had to have it located and be found very quickly.
At the end of classifing work, i had about 25 timelines for raw footage, each one with one different cathegory. And it was very easy to locate a cut, then copy and paste it in my Master timeline.

Hope it will help you.
Regards

Return to posts index

by on Jan 23, 2015 at 1:50:44 pm

Hi Gabriel,

Unfortunately I don't have that option in Bridge - to import into Premiere, not sure why. But when I double click any media file it opens only in Photoshop. There's an option to open in Illustrator, but no option to open in Premiere. I have the latest version installed....CC 2014.1

Return to posts index

by on Jan 23, 2015 at 7:20:42 pm
Last Edited By Gabriel Sanchez on Jan 23, 2015 at 7:22:25 pm

I have CS6 and it works fine, also it allows me to open media in After Effects. I don´t know if its something with the software version or with the OS (i´m on a PC). I can even apply every animation preset to an after effects composition from Bridge browser... Sorry, i have no answer to this...
Have you tried to drag and drop the media from Bridge to the PPro Proyect pannel?
Regards

Return to posts index

by on Jan 23, 2015 at 1:54:20 pm

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]