ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Clips darkening in timeline

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter NortonClips darkening in timeline
by on Jan 15, 2015 at 10:57:55 pm

I'm working on a project in Premiere Pro CS4. There are a number of mov files that when I put them into the sequence they appear darker than they actually are. In the preview monitor the clips are the normal brightness and sometimes when playing or scrubbing through the sequence they are normal. When I locate the files on the drive and play them through quicktimes they are normal brightness too. But when I stop on these clips they darken up considerably. When I export the clips darken as well. The issue doesn't always happen to all the mov clips and sometimes they will export dark sometimes they won't. Over the course of several exports different clips have been darkened and it hasn't been consistent as to which ones. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to when they do and when they don't. Any suggestions on what is causing this and how to fix it would be greatly appreciated. This is my first project in Premiere. Thanks for any help.

Return to posts index

Alex KimRe: Clips darkening in timeline
by on Jan 21, 2015 at 3:57:31 pm

This is also happening to me in CS6 in both the timeline and during export. I thought I had mistakenly shot without enough light so I checked the footage in FCP but it's fine there in the timeline and in export. I'm been using PP for the past year and this has never happened to me, so I'm quite bewildered. Please help!!!

Return to posts index

Peter NortonRe: Clips darkening in timeline
by on Jan 21, 2015 at 4:25:53 pm

I never figured out exactly what was causing this issue. As best I can tell PP doesn't like the codec or wrapper of the file. My footage was from a DSLR which sometimes have weird codecs. But I fixed the issue by opening the clips in mpeg streamclip and converted them to mp4. Once those were converted the issue went away.

Return to posts index

Alex KimRe: Clips darkening in timeline
by on Jan 23, 2015 at 3:01:41 pm

I finally figured out another solution in the case it helps someone. I exported from FCP to a ProRes 422 .mov and imported that into Premiere Pro. (Long story, but I have to capture in FCP since PP doesn't like capturing HCV apparently). No longer dark and depressing!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved