ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

RED footage and Surface Pro 3

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc HutchinsRED footage and Surface Pro 3
by on Jan 8, 2015 at 4:17:27 am

I just picked up the SP3 -- i7, 8GB RAM, 256GB solid state drive -- and loaded CC2014 PPro. We are shooting on the RED Scarlet, but when we dump footage on the SP3, PPro will not read it. It errors out.

I heard so much about the SP2 and RED footage, and decided to make the purchase, but if I can't get PPro to read the RED files what good is it.

Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: RED footage and Surface Pro 3
by on Jan 8, 2015 at 5:25:05 am

[Marc Hutchins] "Any thoughts?"

I'd buy a proper mobile workstation with a lot more RAM and a supported GPU. How does Premiere "error out" exactly?

Return to posts index

Shane RossRe: RED footage and Surface Pro 3
by on Jan 8, 2015 at 6:21:06 am

The Surface Pro 3 is like a MacBook Air...not really designed for cutting video, much less RED native footage. Where did you read about people cutting native RED footage on a SP3?

Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: RED footage not playing?
by on Jan 8, 2015 at 5:37:24 pm

With respect, it's not an awesome editorial system, but an i7 with 8GB of RAM and a fast SSD is at least moderately capable. More RAM and a discrete GPU should make playback better, but not having them shouldn't make playback completely fail.

I wonder if the Surface part is a red herring. (See what I did there?)

Marc, a more thorough description of the failure -- error messages, screen shots, etc., might be more meaningful to people who may have seen this issue before.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Troy MurisonRe: ED footage and Surface Pro 3
by on Jan 9, 2015 at 3:03:49 am

I have that same sp3, and yes, the others are correct- it's not ideal. But it actually surprised me by how well it does do with r3d media. Mine works fine with CC apps and 4/5kootage. I have realistic expectations that aren't high, but for quick on-set checks and such, it's actually exceeded my expectations. 6k is a bit of a drag, but others are more usable in my experience.

How does it 'error out' exactly? Are you importing via Media Browser or dragging from directories? Spanned clips? What frame rate? What res files?

-Troy Murison
Seattle, WA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved