ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

GoPro HERO4 Black - Editing 4K on Premiere Pro CC 2014.0.1

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erik Hill
GoPro HERO4 Black - Editing 4K on Premiere Pro CC 2014.0.1
on Jan 7, 2015 at 3:28:20 pm

Hello, I'm new to the GoPro and we recently purchased a HERO4 Black. I'm editing with Premiere Pro CC 2014.0.1 on a MacBook Pro, specs below:

Processor 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB
Serial Number C02NC1LMG3QP
Software OS X 10.9.4 (13E28)

I have no issues playing back a 5K RED R3D file or a 4K mov file from a GH4 but I'm getting choppy playback in a Premiere Pro timeline from the GoPro's MP4's even at 1080 Superview. Was wondering if there is something I need to be able to edit the native MP4 files or do I need to transcode the files from the GoPro to ProRes to be able to work with them in Premiere Pro CC.

Any help, ideas, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have a beefy desktop PC at home with roughly the same specs and I'd like to test the footage out there but the MacBook Pro and CC 2014 is my work setup and would like to figure this out for the work setup if at all possible.

Thank you!

-Erik
Video Beast

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
Re: GoPro HERO4 Black - Editing 4K on Premiere Pro CC 2014.0.1
on Jan 7, 2015 at 10:01:20 pm

This rig plays back a 5K RED R3D file no problem? That surprises me...are we talking about half (or a quarter) res playback?

The GoPro MP4 will be more aggressively compressed than the GH4 file, so it would take more CPU beans to decode, but I'm not sure why you'd have issues with the GoPro footage vs the others. Premiere Pro plays GoPro footage just fine.

I'm not trying to be insulting, but you're certain the GoPro footage is not inadvertently placed on the system drive? It's playing from the same drive location as the other footage you mention?

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Video Producer at I-CAR

Return to posts index

Erik Hill
on Jan 7, 2015 at 10:11:31 pm

Ty Tim for responding, this is all set. I updated to Premiere Pro CC 2014.1, 8.1.0 (81) Build and I'm all set. The 4K footage plays back with zero issue now, buttery smooth.

-Erik
Video Beast

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Jan 7, 2015 at 10:20:13 pm

Excellent.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Video Producer at I-CAR

Return to posts index

Mary Mulvehill
on May 1, 2015 at 6:32:21 am

I am in college... using Premiere Pro form Creative Cloud.

I had a friend film some great ariel footage for a doc style mini film assignment and I don't understand how to get the GoPro MP4 "VIDEO" track to transfer into the timeline. I don't need the audio, which seems to transfer just fine... naturally. LOL.

Could someone help me?

I have spent hours trying to search the problem and am stumped with the complicated ways people explain the issue.

I sure appreciate it.

Mary

Return to posts index

Erik Hill
on May 2, 2015 at 2:10:45 pm

What method are you using to attempt to bring the mp4 file into the timeline?

-Erik
Aspiring Video Beast

Return to posts index

Mary Mulvehill
on May 2, 2015 at 8:36:14 pm

you just drag the video clips over

Return to posts index

Erik Hill
on May 5, 2015 at 11:27:53 am

I need more detail please. Are you dragging the clip from the project panel or the source panel?

-Erik
Aspiring Video Beast

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]