ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

60i to 30p Premiere Problem

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken Klipps60i to 30p Premiere Problem
by on Dec 31, 2014 at 5:29:47 pm
Last Edited By Ken Klipps on Dec 31, 2014 at 5:33:47 pm

I have a ProRes MOV that is in 60i. It is an uncompressed analog video from a VHS tape that we captured using the NTSC input on a Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K. The video looks great, as far as SD goes and I can play it in VLC no problem (it looks even better with the VLC de-interlace turned on). The problem is that when I bring it into Premiere to begin editing, the quality decreases to an unusable level. Premiere seems to be recognizing it as 30p (I know fields and frame rate are different things) but I don't know why the quality is decreasing so much. The look in Premiere is the same as when I use the "discard" de-interlace setting in VLC instead of the "blend" setting which looks great.

I need help getting the video into Premiere while maintaining the resolution. Ideally I'd like to be able to get the VLC de-interlaced version into Premiere. Is there any way to do this?

Just to note, the video codec is: Component Y'CbCr 10-bit 4:2:2, Linear PCM, Timecode.
Color profile: SD (6-1-6)

Here is a still played in VLC

Here it is in VLC with De-Interlace on blend

Here is what happens when I import into Premiere

Return to posts index

Ann BensRe: 60i to 30p Premiere Problem
by on Dec 31, 2014 at 6:51:07 pm

Make sure your sequence settings match the footage; 60i and the correct field.
Is playback set to full?

Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CC
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index

Ken KlippsRe: 60i to 30p Premiere Problem
by on Dec 31, 2014 at 7:05:53 pm

The playback is set to full. I'm still having the problem even upon export. The footage is looking terrible even when I just bring it into Premiere but before I put it in a sequence. Premiere is sensing that the footage is in 29.97 and just using a "discard" de-interlacing method to automatically turn the footage into 30p.

Return to posts index

Jeff PuleraRe: 60i to 30p Premiere Problem
by on Dec 31, 2014 at 8:37:37 pm

Can you post a screen grab of what exactly Premiere says the footage is, for instance right-click a clip and hit Properties.

Have you gone into Modify > Interpret to check or change clip settings? Might be a simple issue of changing the fielding there.

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Chris TompkinsRe: 60i to 30p Premiere Problem
by on Jan 1, 2015 at 2:32:06 am

You could try and export a short clip, hi-res, final master type stuff and look at that digital file playing back outside Pr.

How does it look feeding out to a video monitor? Still broken up?

Return to posts index

Tim KolbRe: 60i to 30p Premiere Problem
by on Jan 2, 2015 at 2:46:37 am

Have you tried the field options and frame blending on the clip in the timeline? (...and I assume that you're using a 29.97p sequence?)

Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Adobe Certified Instructor

Return to posts index

Marcin GrabosRe: 60i to 30p Premiere Problem
by on Jan 2, 2015 at 10:05:08 pm

I think that all you need (after importing interlaced footage into interlaced sequence) is just to change an option "display first field" or "display second field" to "display both fields" (right click on Program Monitor -> fields -> display....).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved