ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Transcoding H.264 Footage

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kristen WenkeTranscoding H.264 Footage
by on Dec 31, 2014 at 4:36:35 pm

Hi guys, I have a question about transcoding footage for use in PPro 5.5. The video is from a Canon Rebel T3i.

The computer I'll have to use for editing isn't exactly top of the line - Win7 64-bit, Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz, 8GB DDR3 memory, 7200 RPM hard drive, AMD Radeon HD 8350 video card with 1GB memory.

I know that from CS5 and on, PPRO is supposed to be able to handle those files without transcoding, but I think with this machine it's still in my best interest to lighten the load a little.

It seemed like Rarevision's 5DtoRGB software might be the best option for creating a more manageable format (specifically the ProRes codec). But I've been reading that since I'm using a PC, ProRes is not going to be an option for me (?).

I've also seen a lot of suggestions for the GoPro/Cineform codec, but apparently that program crashes whenever you try to import full-resolution 1080p clips into it. It seems like an issue they're very aware of, but haven't found a solution for yet.

So I'm just wondering... what's the best way to transcode this footage on a PC for use in PPRO?

Is there another codec option in 5DtoRGB that would work? Or is there another piece of software entirely I should consider?

Thank you for your help!

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Transcoding H.264 Footage
by on Dec 31, 2014 at 5:51:14 pm

The Avid DNX codecs are free, indistinguishable from Pro Res, and are 100% cross-platform (i.e. useable on Windows and Apple machines.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Kristen WenkeRe: Transcoding H.264 Footage
by on Dec 31, 2014 at 9:30:22 pm

David,

Thank you so much! That's so helpful!

In your opinion, do you think I'll be able to edit that footage on a computer with those specs?

Thank you again!

Return to posts index

David Roth WeissRe: Transcoding H.264 Footage
by on Dec 31, 2014 at 10:29:34 pm

Absolutely! Just download from the Avid website for free and test away... Try DNX 135, I think it's about equal to Pro Res 422.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Ivan MylesRe: Transcoding H.264 Footage
by on Jan 4, 2015 at 2:47:24 pm

Note that DNxHD in a MOV wrapper might experience color/luma shifts and clipping; compare the transcoded output to the source files to check for potential issues (preferably in Premiere Pro with the YC scope and RGB Parade.)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]