ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

6k R3d and 2k ProRes Bottleneck

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Victor
6k R3d and 2k ProRes Bottleneck
on Dec 30, 2014 at 11:47:01 pm
Last Edited By Michael Victor on Dec 31, 2014 at 12:04:48 am

Hey I'm new to the forum, but have always been ending up here from google searches for years!
This community rocks!

I had a question to throw out there about working with 6k,5k,4k raw redcode and ProRes 4444 on a PC in adobe cs6/CC.

My PC's Specs are
windows 7
Asus p9x79 WS
INTEL I7 4960X 3.6G
64Gb RAM
Gefore 780ti
AJA Kona 3g
Corsair 1200 PSU
2x 500gb SSD's
20GB RAM Drive
8TB RAID 1

Thunderbolt 2 on Mac's can get to 20gb's data speeds which is awesome. USB 3.0 isn't anywhere near that.

I was wondering if there was a way to reach that with a PC, or if not...if I was to use an external RAID with USB 3.0 or esata is even viable to work with those large files. Will it be huge bottleneck for workflow and render times? Should you be only accessing video files of that size from thunderbolt raids or onboard PCIe?

I am wondering because I am looking into getting or working with a new camera (AMIRA/DRAGON) and am trying to figure out the workflow and data management.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: 6k R3d and 2k ProRes Bottleneck
on Dec 31, 2014 at 12:59:04 am

2K Prores doesn't have THAT big bitrate. Also when it comes to R3D your CPU/GPU is probably the bottleneck there, because encoding that isn't about the bitrate, unless you have a lot of picture in pictures going on. If you still need fast as hell storage you could make an internal SSD RAID to a PCI slot or a external RAID with a fast fiber connection.

Return to posts index

Michael Victor
on Dec 31, 2014 at 8:41:57 am
Last Edited By Michael Victor on Dec 31, 2014 at 8:52:46 am

Interesting to think of it that way. I'd have thought the bigger issue would have been the speed of data going to the CPU/GPU rather than how fast the CPU/GPU could handle it. Thanks for that info!

What sort of setup would typically be used for media storage then? RAID with esata/ usb 3.0, something else with a raid controller, ect...? My USB 2.0 towers were killing me! Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Dec 31, 2014 at 3:58:46 pm

Basically if you are dealing with compressed formats, like R3D, they need CPU/GPU/Red rocket power to decode that efficiently. Uncompressed formats, like DPX sequences, take a lot of space and need a fast drive instead of a beefy CPU because there's not much to decode.

I have a Pegasus Thunderbolt RAID at work and it reads/writes about 500-700 MB/s. I believe you can get close to 500 MB/s on a fast USB 3 RAID, that should do fine unless you are dealing with let's say uncompressed 4K or you're trying to make a multicam edit with a LOT of angles.

Return to posts index

Michael Victor
on Jan 2, 2015 at 7:25:43 am
Last Edited By Michael Victor on Jan 2, 2015 at 7:43:00 am

Thanks for the explanation! Very helpful :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]