ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Automatically find edits in a mastered timeline?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ted Sikora
Automatically find edits in a mastered timeline?
on Dec 30, 2014 at 3:18:00 am

I've got a 90 minute SD feature film that I'm moving from FCP7 to Premiere CC. To do this I took all effects off of clips in the SD timeline and then exported it as a full 90 minute quicktime file. Then I did the uprez with Red Giant Instant HD. (I've been ASTOUNDED at how nicely the anamorphic progressive scan SD footage has uprezed to 1080p.)

I'm now going to do a fresh 1080p color correction, and am bringing the full movie as one ProRes HQ file into Premiere.

Is there something that analyzes the footage on the sequence and can make cut/edits at all of the points where that occurred? I know I've seen this somewhere years ago, but can't find it anywhere now. May not have been a Premiere thing...

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Sebastian Sander
Re: Automatically find edits in a mastered timeline?
on Dec 30, 2014 at 12:02:47 pm

Hey Ted.
I don't think Premiere has a way to do this (probably I just don't know how).
But if you have the project in fcp you should be able to export an xml file, that you can import to premiere.
There you have all the cuts, so now you just have to cut the upscaled file according to the new importet project :)
Hope it helps.

Kind regards
Sebastian

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Dec 30, 2014 at 3:41:27 pm

I've used Resolve to do that. Also I'd doubly recommend that because that's a proper tool for color work.

Return to posts index

Ted Sikora
on Dec 30, 2014 at 10:40:09 pm

Thanks both. I agree that there's better tools, but I'm so comfortable with Colorista 2 and some others that I'm thrilled to be able to work with plugins on the timeline with the Premiere CC.

The EDL idea worked pretty well. I can just jump to edit and cut. Much quicker than what I was doing.

Cheers.

Return to posts index

Jim Watt
on Dec 31, 2014 at 10:22:56 pm

Colorista is a terrific program, but I've nothing but problems using it for long form in Premier Pro. Problems like near the end of my program the project won't open until I delete the Colorista plugin. I switched to color correction/grading in Speedgrade which is a terrific program. Also the scene detect in speed grade should work too.

Jim Watt

Producer/DP, HD series, "Discoveries...America", "Discoveries...Ireland", "Discoveries...Spain",
"Discoveries...Argentina", Discoveries...India", "Discoveries...Asia", "Discoveries...Africa"

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Jan 2, 2015 at 1:56:22 am

Hi Ted,
Check out the Scene Change Detect Tool in SpeedGrade.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Support Product Manager—DVA
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Ted Sikora
on Jan 2, 2015 at 6:36:32 am

Thanks again.

Haven't run into any issues with Colorista on long format stuff to date. I just love the speed of it being right there on the clips as a plug-in. I also don't even have to wait for renders since I got the my new Macbook Pro. It does just about anything I want it to.

Having said that you've all convinced me that I should spend some time with Speed Grade.

Happy New Year.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]