ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

P2 Workflow in Premiere Pro CC

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Klausler
P2 Workflow in Premiere Pro CC
on Dec 29, 2014 at 3:12:00 pm

Newbie to Premiere after 12+ years with Final Cut Pro, still trying to figure out the workflow with P2. Looking for some advise on making this work as we are moving from Final Cut. Don't get me wrong, I really like what I have been experiencing with Premiere but I am struggling with the P2 workflow.

I like viewing content with the media browser and being able to edit right away but there seems to be some caveats for doing this. I really don't like moving the entire content of the P2 card over to my drive after every shoot. If I am copying all the content from the card anyway why can't I be able to move the content I want for this project? There are times I have gone out and shot for multiple projects and had to put it all one one card, I want to keep those content folders separate so I can better keep track of where my raw video is. With Premiere now I am doubling the transfer because I have to move the entire content from the card twice because I need it for two projects. Absolutely hate importing and having to go and rename after it's been the project, now the original file is still called some random name from the camera. What if I want to keep a file for archival purposes or to be used in another project or to share with a co-worker? Looks like I would have to export from premiere and create another file?

Really wish I could simply copy what I want to my project with the audio tracks that I need and have the file named what I need it to be named for future projects. Most times I don't need all four tracks, why bring them in if they are not needed? Just makes a mess when editing with deleting blank tracks.

This is the way I am reading how to get my P2 content into Premiere, am I missing something here? Is there a separate program to copy the files I need off the cards then bring it into Premiere? Either way files have to come off the cards so there is very little time saving by using the media browser. Not worried about transcoding time or file sizes as I have 20TB for storage, well worth it if it makes the workflow better. Sorry if I sound like I am venting but really liked the way FCP did all this and worked extremely well for us. Any suggestions for making this work more like I want it too?

Tim

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: P2 Workflow in Premiere Pro CC
on Dec 29, 2014 at 3:19:10 pm

You really can't mess with the original files because that's how it's been made and that's how it works. Either copy the whole cards or transcode, those are pretty much the options.

You can transcode and rename footage easily with Prelude.

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
on Dec 29, 2014 at 3:49:59 pm

Hey TIm…

Look to the companion product, Prelude to transfer and organize and optionally transcode your source material.

Think of this as similar to log an transfer but as an external app, thus leaving the editor free while a producer or assistant preps material)

help that points you in the right direction…

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX

Return to posts index

Tim Klausler
on Dec 29, 2014 at 5:16:26 pm

I have been exploring Prelude and this looks like it might work. Brought my clips into the program but I can't make a subclip. I can see the Subclip and Comment markers but how do I add them to the clip? Can't drag them. Double clicking them doesn't do anything. Under the Marker Menu everything is grayed out. I can select and deselect audio so that is good. Just want to place in and out markers and export it to a new file.

Tim

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
on Dec 29, 2014 at 9:47:31 pm

Sub-clipping typically refers to soft marking a section of a longer file as a virtual clip.

Seems like you want an actual subset of frames trimmed.

this would require a transcode (even to the same codec) in order to accomplish it.

maybe this will help:

http://helpx.adobe.com/prelude/how-to/premierepro-prelude-integration-cc.ht...

it will at least explain some things better than I can.

Alex Udell

Return to posts index

Tim Klausler
on Dec 29, 2014 at 10:26:28 pm

Thanks Alex,

I had watched that video this morning. I just figured out the issue with setting in and out points from the P2 .mxf files. The camera actually locks the files and they can't be edited, so I just unlocked them and now I can set my in and out points then export creating a file that has the video and audio that I actually need.

Still not crazy about this workflow with the P2 cards, a lot more work than FCP 7. Hey Adobe look at Final Cut 7's log and transfer, it's intuitive, simple and doesn't cause issues downstream. Prelude is close but it's not there yet for me.

Tim

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
on Dec 29, 2014 at 10:41:02 pm

Hmmmm….

well you can do this in PPro…

use the media browser to pull in the material you want to the project panel.

trim clips to taste then drop all clips now marked up in to a sequence.

select the sequence in the project panel...

Then use file>project manage to collect them to a new project.

This also offers trimming and transcoding as well..

Alex Udell

Return to posts index

Tim Klausler
on Dec 30, 2014 at 6:17:31 pm

Thanks Alex,
One thing I should have mentioned is that with our P2 camera we use the one-clip feature. So if I go out and shoot an ice rink being flooded I end up with one file, not multiple files every time I start and stop recording. This is a great feature of certain P2 cameras. So I really don't need to combine clips or trim much in this case, I simply want to bring in what I just shot as one file called "ice rink flooding cover" into an existing project with just the nat sounds from one track, not all four tracks. I then set in and out points and insert into my timeline over my voiceover. I can then easily share the file with my co-worker if needed. Don't really want to move the entire content of the card over as there may be other things on the card.

Tim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]