ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

"Multi"cam editing in Premiere Pro

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Dyrholm"Multi"cam editing in Premiere Pro
by on Dec 28, 2014 at 9:13:40 pm

OK - I recently shot a music video and are now about to start editing it. The set up was very simple: the artist in front of the camera which was rotating around him while he performed his song. Everything is shot while playing the track in the studio (sound recorded in camera) and everything have to be in sync in the final video. Basically we covered each part of the song/performance with around 5 angles all shot with the same camera. Therefore we have a lot of seperate takes for the different parts of the song. What I want to know is if there some smart way to edit the footage in Premiere Pro? Something like the Multicam feature in FCPX. Some work around to make the program sync all the shots to the song?

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Herb SevushRe: "Multi"cam editing in Premiere Pro
by on Dec 29, 2014 at 1:29:50 am

Thomas -

Use the multicam feature and create 1 multiclip using the audio as your sync reference. If your cameras were stop and go, you can open up the mutlicam timeline and consolidate your shots into fewer angles. Ppro is perfect for this type of shoot. As far as I know anything you can do in FCPX you can do in PPro as far as multicam goes.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Bret WilliamsRe: "Multi"cam editing in Premiere Pro
by on Dec 30, 2014 at 3:29:33 am

Recentl did a music video in X shot exactly the same way. In X (and I assume premiere) you can drop the different takes on different tracks and auto sync them to the sync source.

Live and learn: The DVD player they were playing off of on location must have been a little slow or fast. Thousands of a second probably. But the DVD track I was trying to use as base audio wouldn't sync with the camera sound from any camera. Had to do it all manually. But at least they had sound so I could just slip them until the audio sounded right.

But the lesson learned is to record the whole song once just as audio playing out of the boom box or whatever setup you have on set. Use that as your main audio track. Then you can shoot all the little bits and sync them to that. When you're done, drop in the CD audio and sync it up manually if it won't sync automatically.

Return to posts index

Sebastian SanderRe: "Multi"cam editing in Premiere Pro
by on Dec 30, 2014 at 12:24:40 pm

Hey fellow Danishman! ;)

In premiere pro there's a multicam option too. Where you can have as many tracks as you like.
Put all the clips you want to edit in a sequence for itself. Drag that sequence into the "new" icon.
And now you have a sequence within a sequence (wow inception). Right click on the new sequence in your timeline and select multicam -> enable. Now all you have to do is right click in your program monitor and select display mode -> multicam, and you're good to go :)

If you want to sync your audio to the video I would suggest using plural eyes. Though you can also sync inside premiere pro, by selecting the video and audio file you want to sync, right click and press merge clips :)

Hope this helps.
Kind regards

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved