.MOV video corrupts on import to CS4 on OS Mavericks

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian Overton
.MOV video corrupts on import to CS4 on OS Mavericks
on Dec 27, 2014 at 6:43:06 pm

Hello,

Glad to be here, this is my first post.

I've edited video with my Canon Vixia HF10 now for several years, using PP CS4 on my MacBook. Until I upgraded the OS from Snow Leopard to Mavericks, I used to be able to open up the folders on the camcorder and extract the actual .MTS files from the BDMV folder. After the OS upgrade, now the entire folder tree has been replaced with something else. It looks like the "Quick View" option, opens with Quicktime, and allows me to save or export clips in .MOV formats only.

Opening the saved .MOV file on my computer, the thing looks flawless. After importing it to PP, the file has a myriad video glitches. The audio is fine. What happens is the video distorts for a single frame, horizontally warping to an extreme degree, and then snaps back to normal. This happens repeatedly, up to once every few seconds. Sometimes it flickers to a green screen and back again. I never had this problem when importing the original .MTS files.

See this image to understand what I am talking about:

I don't know if this is a problem with Mavericks, with PP, or with .MOVs, or something else entirely.

Any ideas?

Ian Overton

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
Re: .MOV video corrupts on import to CS4 on OS Mavericks
on Dec 28, 2014 at 1:09:26 pm

Well, in general, you have an OS and version of software that are several years removed from one another, so it's quite possible that your problem lies there somewhere.

If you're having display issues, then the best thing to try is to see if there are any graphics drivers that you can update. Specifically, if you have a Macbook that has a NVIDIA graphics card, make sure you install the CUDA drivers from the NVIDIA website. If you've updated to Mavericks, then make sure you're on the latest version which is currently 10.9.5. Also, make sure you have the latest version of CS4 which I think is 4.2.1 - Premiere Pro product updates

Finally, you can try Creative Cloud for free for 30 days. The latest version definitely will give you the support you need as well as all the features from 5 subsequent versions.

Good luck,
Dennis - Adobe guy

Return to posts index

Ian Overton
on Dec 28, 2014 at 3:43:42 pm

Thanks Dennis!

I'll let you know if that works. In the mean time, I figured out a work around. By plugging my camcorder into a Linux system, I'm able to access the original .MTS files and then move them back to my computer.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Dec 30, 2014 at 6:42:44 pm

[Ian Overton] "By plugging my camcorder into a Linux system, I'm able to access the original .MTS files and then move them back to my computer."

You can right-click on the camera archive package in Mac OS X and choose "Show package contents" -- this will let you navigate the folder structure in Finder.

You could also try my Automator workflow for changing AVCHD packages to folders [link].

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]