ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

NVIDIA Card with Yosemite and Premiere causing major graphics failure

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chip Burns
NVIDIA Card with Yosemite and Premiere causing major graphics failure
on Dec 23, 2014 at 6:23:38 pm

For the past few months I have been experiencing extreme graphics failures, primarily when running Adobe Premiere Pro CC 14.

This photo is the start of what I'm talking about:

The video display begins to distort and carry over into other applications and OS windows throughout the machine. Eventually the entire system freezes and reboots. On reboot, a dialogue box usually pops up and says I've experienced a graphics card problem causing the reboot. I always report this to Apple if given the option.

These problems began on my iMac, which I took to an Apple shop -- they replaced the logic board and sent the computer back home with me.

About 30 minutes into my next video project, the same failure occurred.

Here's where the problems become more complicated. I purchased a Macbook Pro and installed the Creative Cloud and the first day experienced the same problems.

Yesterday, I updated my Premiere Pro to the latest version and CUDA driver to 3.5 and the issues have become worse and unbearable. I'm barely able to edit for a solid hour without these system crashes.

I can tell you this -- the problem is not isolated by Premiere Pro, it can start even while surfing the internet.

The problem seems to start the most rapidly while using Red Giant Magic Bullet Looks.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: NVIDIA Card with Yosemite and Premiere causing major graphics failure
on Dec 23, 2014 at 9:12:11 pm

Have you tried uninstalling the Nvidia drivers completely using their uninstaller, then reinstalling?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Feb 17, 2015 at 12:57:11 am

David, how would I uninstall the NVIDIA drivers? not seeing an app for that or a way to uninstall within system preferences/cuda

thanks.

Head of Post Production, Coca-Cola Studios Atlanta, GA. Telly Award Winning Editor and Motion Gfx Artist.

Return to posts index

Peter Garaway
on Feb 17, 2015 at 3:03:45 am

To uninstall the driver move each of the following items to the Trash, then reboot:

/Library/Frameworks/CUDA.framework
/Library/LaunchAgents/com.nvidia.CUDASoftwareUpdate.plist
/Library/PreferencePanes/CUDA Preferences.prefPane
/System/Library/Extensions/CUDA
/System/Library/StartupItems/CUDA
/usr/local/cuda/lib/libcuda.dylib

Best,

Peter Garaway
Adobe
Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Feb 17, 2015 at 3:08:16 am

Thanks I tried to uninstall it with terminal commands previously but wasn't having any luck. appreciate it.

Head of Post Production, Coca-Cola Studios Atlanta, GA. Telly Award Winning Editor and Motion Gfx Artist.

Return to posts index

Andrew Johnstone
on May 9, 2015 at 7:29:51 am

[Peter Garaway] " To uninstall the driver move each of the following items to the Trash, then reboot:

Best,

Peter Garaway"

At the top of this thread somewhere, Peter suggested removing the drivers. So I thought I would have a go at this and then see if PP would start behaving. But I cannot find any of these files listed on my system !

I have read that the CUDA drivers are built in to Mountain Lion 10.8.5 Is this so? Are they not accessible?

Maybe I don;t have a CUDA issue at all? Maybe this is some other PP glitch? Whatever it is I am running out of patience for this!

Andy Johnstone
Wild Dog Limited
film & multimedia production
http://www.wilddogworld.com

Return to posts index

Jason Guerra
on May 9, 2015 at 7:36:59 am

No, CUDA is not built into the system. Any Mac with an Nvidia card will, of course, have drivers for that card, but that is not the same thing as CUDA, which you have to manually download and install from Nvidia's site.

In System Preferences, do you see an option for CUDA? If not, and you don't have the folders you listed, Then CUDA is not installed on your system. If you see the CUDA preference pane, make sure you are looking in the right Library folder. There is a user Library folder in your home folder, and a system Library folder at the root of you Macintosh HD. The CUDA folders are in the root Library folder.

I hope that helps.

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Dec 24, 2014 at 10:37:50 am

Chip,

If it begins to infect the OS operations, then most likely, the problem is not located with Premiere Pro. It clearly sounds like a hardware problem. By chance do you have a new MacPro?

In addition to troubleshooting Premiere Pro and your OS, I would highly recommend you get in touch with Apple or take your box down to the Apple store to get it looked at and explain your problem.

Dennis - Adobe guy
Merry Christmas

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Jan 2, 2015 at 5:19:43 pm

[Dennis Radeke] "By chance do you have a new MacPro? "

He has an NVIDIA card...is there a way to put one in a new Mac (CoffeeCan)Pro?

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Adobe Certified Instructor

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 2, 2015 at 6:47:22 pm

That's what Thunderbolt expansion chassis are for...

Happy New Years Tim. :)

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Jan 2, 2015 at 6:57:06 pm

Same to you David...

I guess I'm wondering why you'd do that? The new MacPros come pretty GPU-loaded...

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Adobe Certified Instructor

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 2, 2015 at 7:04:41 pm

You would accomplish spending lots of dough, but beyond that not a whole lot.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

Return to posts index

Anthony Miles
on Jan 3, 2015 at 8:57:28 pm

I have teh exact same error using creative suite cc 2014.2

I took my 2013 retina mac book pro wth Yosemite to best buy where i purchased it, they ran 2 levels of diognotsitc on it and said it didnt have hardware issues.

Not satisfied I took my machine to an apple store near me and they did the diagnostics thing and decided it was a software issue. They kept my machine for 2 very long weeks, even though I went through the apple for business and impressed upon them how important the machine was to my business. after I called them and restated that they can just wipe it and give it back instead of searching for a minute software issue they ddi a fresh install at the apple store. Gave it back, I installed adoce CC and cuda and the same problem lives on. This is a serious issue guys and not a mac vs pc debate that is not funny to those of us who need our macs to work well. I built a windows machine that is smokin based on intel 5960 & Nvidia gtx 980 (I would have bought a mac pro but dealing with apple is frustrating these days) and it has its share of issues as well. If anyone has any line into adobe or has heard any more about this please help us. it's not easy getting the right info these days from Apple and ADOBE which we are so reliant upon.

Return to posts index

Chip Burns
on Jan 3, 2015 at 9:31:38 pm

I am also convinced this is not a hardware issue.

I have had this exact issue come up on two of my machines - one Macbook Pro Retina and one iMac.

Each have NVIDIA with CUDA and each are running Adobe Creative Cloud.

Return to posts index

Peter Garaway
on Jan 3, 2015 at 10:15:20 pm
Last Edited By Peter Garaway on Jan 3, 2015 at 11:09:45 pm

Hi All,

Sorry your encountering these issues. We understand this is very disruptive. We're working together with Apple and Nvidia trying to fix this.

Thank you for your patience.

Peter Garaway
Adobe
Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

Chip Burns
on Jan 3, 2015 at 10:51:50 pm

Thank you Peter.

Can you confirm that this is a common issue that Adobe and Apple know about?

Also, are you saying that this is not CUDA or NVIDIA related and can occur on machines with other processors?

Return to posts index

Peter Garaway
on Jan 3, 2015 at 11:11:46 pm

Hi Chip,

I edited my original post. Yes this is a known issue and we're working with our partners to understand the cause.

As of now this appears to be limited to Mac OS and NVIDIA graphics cards.

Best,

Peter Garaway
Adobe
Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

Daniel Sametz
on Jan 5, 2015 at 7:45:40 pm

Fix it please.

Return to posts index

Dennis Matz
on Jan 6, 2015 at 2:14:42 pm

I'm having the exact same problem since ive upgraded to Yosemite. It seems it only appears when using CUDA acceleration in Premiere. If im using OpenCL, i can work for hours without any problems. Please fix this, Adobe!

Return to posts index

Chip Burns
on Jan 6, 2015 at 3:07:42 pm

While it's certainly in Adobe's best interest to see this fixed, I am becoming more and more convinced this is NVIDIA's problem interacting with OSX.

This program is triggered by Adobe apps but is not limited to them. I have seen these symptoms happen in Google Chrome and even the Finder.

Return to posts index

patrick weishampel
on Jan 19, 2015 at 11:39:05 pm

Yes Please! We need a fix. Its crippling. I've spent countless hours troubleshooting this issue. I've been through 2 Nvidia 680 mac edition cards in the possibility its a hardware issue. At one point swapped it out with an smaller ATi card which then worked fine without the graphics aberations, so I know its not a hardware issue. I still have the Nvidia card though and would like to be able to use it instead of selling it off which I'm about to be forced to do. There must be a fix out there somewhere????

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 19, 2015 at 11:48:59 pm

The issue is clearly with Yosemite, why don't you simply go back to Mavericks?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

Return to posts index

patrick weishampel
on Jan 19, 2015 at 11:55:08 pm

Unfortunately I don't have everything backed up through time machine. Wiping the drive and installing Mavericks seems even more excruciating.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 20, 2015 at 12:02:26 am

I'm sorry, but with that attitude you won't last long in this business. And, no professional should ever install updates on their editing system(s) without first cloning their bout drive.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

Return to posts index

patrick weishampel
on Jan 20, 2015 at 12:24:45 am

Wow David, that was pretty harsh.

But You're right. I should have had the system backed up through time machine so I could revert back to the previous operating system and I guess I've learned the hard way. I had done the upgrade as I was between projects and hadn't found other people having these issues until I was having them myself. However I don't think I need extra bashing because of it. I'm simply looking for additional help in trying to solve the issue. Wiping the hard drive and reinstalling everything is my absolute last resort. I will most likely go to an Ati card instead for a short time as I will be migrating to a new machine soon. If my asking either Nvidia or Adobe to resolve an issue created through the not so new OS now seemed loaded or having a bad attitude, its only out of frustration.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 20, 2015 at 1:19:59 am

[patrick weishampel] "Wow David, that was pretty harsh."

Yes it was Patrick - I am sorry for that, and I do share your frustration. However, many folks around the Cow will tell you that I was one of the very first here to promote the use of clones as a preventative measure for exactly these kinds of issues, and it frustrates me that after years of restating the same warning I still haven't reached everyone with the message.

In any case, it's really unfortunate, but even the best software and hardware manufactures do, from time to time, release screwy driver and software updates that cripple editing systems that can bring a facility to it's knees. Preventative measures really must be in place 100% of the time or you will get hosed.

In any case, if there's anything I can do I'll do my best to help you and any others. In the meantime, I hope you're able to get your systems back up ASAP.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

Return to posts index

Chip Burns
on Jan 20, 2015 at 12:23:43 am

Just to be clear, this issue is not new with Yosemite -- it just become more prevalent with Yosemite.

The bigger issue is that most Macbook Pro's come pre-loaded with NVIDIA graphics cards and this in conjunction with pre-loaded Yosemite means that all of us that are purchasing Macbook Pro's for video editing with Premiere are buying computers that do not work properly off the shelf.

The only way I'm able to work off my MBP is to shut off the NVIDIA graphics card altogether. This is obviously not acceptable since the reason I paid more for my particular MBP is to have this graphics card.

Return to posts index

george felner
on Aug 3, 2015 at 9:34:14 am

Hi..

What Thunderbolt Chassis and GPU do you recommend for export speeds in Premiere?
I can't afford the best Quadros.. something more like a GTX with a single PCI enclosure please?

George

Return to posts index

Ze'ev Gilad
on Jan 23, 2015 at 1:20:45 am

I am having this issue as well on a 2014 Retina MacBook Pro running Yosemite 10.10.2.

CUDA drivers went through TWO updates on the SAME DAY (1/14), 6.5.36 & 6.5.37 -- even though the pref panel does not yet see the .37 -- and neither solves this problem!

Any news from Adobe/nvidia about a fix?

Has anyone gone back to Mavericks ... and did it fix the problem?

This is making me lose many hours of productivity.

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Jan 23, 2015 at 9:50:12 pm

Hi,
Our support reps say that the NVIDIA 6.5.37 drivers solve the issue for most OS X 10.10 Yosemite users. You may want to reinstall those drivers.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Support Product Manager—DVA
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Kevin Balling
on Jan 26, 2015 at 11:22:19 pm

I have been getting this same problem intermittently with Premiere Pro CC. I am on a late 2012 iMAC,
3.4 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX 1024 MB

I am on Mountain Lion, so it is not an isolated Yosemite problem. I use OpenCL, not CUDA because I found many other unrelated problems CUDA, so I uninstalled it. The issue DID happen with CUDA though. The problem usually presents itself when Premiere Pro is dealing with Text or doing something that is a bit complicated, like a long export with a lot of Red Giant Denoiser clips. The glitches remain on the screen even after I close out Premiere Pro and will dissipate if i just let the computer sit for awhile or restart.

Kevin Balling

Kevin Balling
Tin Roof Video
http://www.tinroofvideo.com

Return to posts index

Ze'ev Gilad
on Jan 28, 2015 at 4:48:28 pm

I went back to Mavericks, issue alleviated for now (not 100%)

They just released a new version 6.5.45/6
http://www.nvidia.com/object/mac-driver-archive.html

Anyone with Yosemite try this and notice any improvement?

Return to posts index

Peter Garaway
on Jan 28, 2015 at 7:46:02 pm

My testing has been very positive with Mac OS 10.10.2 and CUDA driver 6.5.45. More testing is needed but so far I've been unable to get the system into a bad state.

If you guys continue to run into graphics issues please let us know.

Thanks!

Peter Garaway
Adobe
Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

patrick weishampel
on Feb 4, 2015 at 1:42:52 am

Hi Peter, I'm still having issues. After installing the new updates it seemed as though it went away but unfortunately it's returned after importing some new footage into Premiere. Any suggestions? Will adobe be releasing any updates soon to fix the problem?

Thanks,
Patrick

Return to posts index

patrick weishampel
on Feb 4, 2015 at 1:52:45 am

Return to posts index

Peter Garaway
on Feb 6, 2015 at 11:32:46 pm

Hi Patrick,

Sorry I responded to another thread about this issue and missed your post here. I've also encountered this issue with 10.10.2 and 6.5.46.

Adobe, Apple and NVIDIA are aware that the problem is still occurring and will continue to work on getting it fixed.

If this issue is blocking you, you can try uninstalling the CUDA driver.

Best,

Peter Garaway
Adobe
Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

patrick weishampel
on Feb 6, 2015 at 11:36:34 pm

Thanks Peter,

I uninstalled cuda and am not having the graphics problems I was previously. Hope all parties can come up with a solution soon. I'll be keeping an eye out for new updates.

Cheers!
Patrick

Return to posts index

Ze'ev Gilad
on Feb 7, 2015 at 12:00:49 am

How does one uninstall CUDA?
Is it enough to remove the Pref Panel?
Or do we need to run an uninstaller?

Return to posts index

Peter Garaway
on Feb 7, 2015 at 12:34:21 am

I believe NVIDIA only provides a uninstaller with the web driver which only supports the following cards:

GeForce GTX 680
GeForce GTX 285
GeForce GT 120
GeForce 8800 GT
Quadro K5000 for Mac, Quadro 4000 for Mac
Quadro FX 4800, Quadro FX 5600

So if you don't have the web driver please move each of the following items to the Trash, then reboot:

Best,

Peter Garaway
Adobe
Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

patrick weishampel
on May 6, 2015 at 8:30:10 pm

Hi Peter,

Has there been any movement on this? It would great to get the full use of my graphics card by enabling the cuda driver again.

Patrick

Return to posts index

Eric Fisher
on Feb 18, 2015 at 1:20:50 am

Also having the same problem. I ran a hardware diagnostic and ruled out hardware issues. I removed all the CUDA files, as well as uninstalled and reinstalled Premiere. The glitching is gone, but Premiere is still extremely unstable, crashing every hour or so, and very slow in response to commands. It also only seems to be an issue with Premiere. After Effects is functioning just fine.

I did a clean OS Yosemite install before installing the Creative Suite, and was running a Blackmagic Studio express when I decided to install the CUDA drivers and my life fell apart. (I've also since removed the blackmagic peripheral to rule that out.)

As I was writing this, I thought to import my sequences from the old project into a new, fresh one. Premiere seems to be working again, although my audio is playing back very glitchy, and a few track effects I had on the mix are not just gone, they're unavailable...but at least I'm back to most functionality.

Time for another clean OS install, CUDA-free? Any way to not lose (another) half-day installing everything?

Eric Fisher
Director/Editor
iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Feb 18, 2015 at 1:30:43 am

I deleted CUDA files and reinstalled today.. things are quite worse now. I'm switching from CUDA to Open CL to software but still having the same flickering and distortion issues within Premiere Pro.

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Feb 18, 2015 at 1:34:04 am

Also, I'm using a 680 but didnt find an uninstaller. can I download one and try again? what are the options? possibly attach another card vie thunderbold? AMD? Desperate here.. thanks.

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Feb 18, 2015 at 1:34:45 am

typo.. thunderbolt.

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Feb 18, 2015 at 1:35:53 am

Premiere has been a bear all year for me..

Return to posts index

Ze'ev Gilad
on Feb 18, 2015 at 4:35:25 pm

FWIW, I wrote to nvidia support back on 2/3 about this issue.

They said my issue was being "escalated to a Level 2 tech".

TODAY (2 weeks later) the Level 2 responded:

Both CUDA and OpenCL can be used to leverage the power of your GPU for various tasks. Their implementation depends on how each individual program is optimized, and problems with one are generally specific to that program. You can try reinstalling CUDA, but you might also want to check directly with the support or community for the program you're using to see if others have encountered similar issues, especially if other programs work correctly when accelerated.

Regards,

Gareth

Pretty much useless.

It's incredibly annoying to be stuck somewhere in an Adobe/Apple/Nvidia limbo, wherein no one seems to be doing much to fix this issue. Many of us bought high end Macs specifically for use with Premiere and fast rendering/real-time effects.

I wish someone knew someone at a high-profile blog/magazine and could get a write up about this.

Return to posts index

Chip Burns
on Feb 20, 2015 at 10:31:52 pm

This problem WILL NOT go away.

Return to posts index

Peter Garaway
on Feb 20, 2015 at 10:35:51 pm

In case some of you have missed this please see link

http://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

Apple has determined that a small percentage of MacBook Pro systems may exhibit distorted video, no video, or unexpected system restarts. These MacBook Pro systems were sold between February 2011 and December 2013.

Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider will repair affected MacBook Pro systems, free of charge. See below for details on affected models and service options.

As of February 20, 2015, the repair process will be available in the U.S. and Canada. In other countries, it will be available as of February 27, 2015.

Peter Garaway
Adobe
Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

Ze'ev Gilad
on Feb 20, 2015 at 10:39:07 pm

I have all the symptoms listed on that page, but my machine is a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)

Return to posts index

Greg Lee
on Feb 20, 2015 at 11:57:40 pm

So, Ze'ev, you have that glitching OUTSIDE of Premiere, too?

I'm about to buy the laptop you have, but not if the GPU is still FUBAR.

Return to posts index

Ze'ev Gilad
on Feb 21, 2015 at 12:05:50 am

Rarely outside of Premiere ... and not at all since I stopped using CUDA (just OpenCL) - but renders/exports are significantly slower.

Return to posts index

Chip Burns
on Feb 20, 2015 at 10:40:43 pm

Thanks Peter -- but neither of my machines are in that category of "Products Affected".

I have an iMac and a MBP that was sold in late 2014.

Based on my experience working with lots of machines as a freelance editor, this problem affects a wide range of Apple computers, happening most frequently with NVIDIA cards that are running on the Yosemite version of OSX.

Return to posts index

Ze'ev Gilad
on Feb 20, 2015 at 11:06:08 pm

I've spoken, at length, to Apple, Adobe, and nvidia, all pretty much to no avail.

I am wondering ... is it that my GPU is defective, or that this combo simply cannot work?

I'd like to know who is NOT experiencing this issue, and if any of them have the same setup that I do; but obviously those lucky people won't likely find their way to this thread!

Apple said bring it in for repair, but that's impossible, because I use it for work every day.

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Feb 20, 2015 at 11:07:34 pm

I'm in the same boat.

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Feb 20, 2015 at 11:14:12 pm

Ive noticed that it shows up within PPRO but for me, usually on the desktop or a browser window when I tab off of PPRO. it's getting real bad now.. wish there was a fix. I still have applecare but as you said, I need this for work everyday. What exactly would apple do anyway? Just change out the video card?

Return to posts index

Nick Spiropoulos
on Mar 22, 2015 at 4:08:29 pm

In my opinion the card is not defective. I had this issue as soon as I upgraded to 10.10 Yosemite on my Mac Pro 5,1. Thought I fried the K5000 card and replaced with a new one (both PNY). The issue continued. During any given boot session, the problem is initiated by Adobe software using CUDA, either Premiere or Media Encoder, and then can be seen in other apps. It's an OS specific / CUDA / Adobe combination that is triggering it.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 22, 2015 at 5:42:51 pm

[Nick Spiropoulos] "In my opinion the card is not defective. I had this issue as soon as I upgraded to 10.10 Yosemite on my Mac Pro 5,1. Thought I fried the K5000 card and replaced with a new one (both PNY). The issue continued. During any given boot session, the problem is initiated by Adobe software using CUDA, either Premiere or Media Encoder, and then can be seen in other apps. It's an OS specific / CUDA / Adobe combination that is triggering it."

Interesting side note. Resolve users have been having similar GPU related problems on Macs too. At least one user booted into Windows on his Mac via BootCamp and ran Resolve w/o any problems. I haven't read about anyone trying something similar with Adobe's software. The fact that just switching to Windows fixes the problem makes it appear to be a problem w/the GPU drivers Apple is supplying in the OS.

Return to posts index

Jim Swinson
on Mar 22, 2015 at 6:05:49 pm

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's not defective hardware because a lot us is on different hardware. I also think this goes further than the CUDA driver also. I don't get the screen glitches like a lot of others but I'm getting the system freezing when using any type of acceleration like CUDA or OpenCL but much worse with CUDA. Same thing happens in Resolve and Final Cut Pro X. I just moved back to Mavericks so I will have to see if this helps, it seems some have had more luck with Mavericks when it comes to the freezing issue I have but the screen glitch I don't have some in this thread said that does happen on Mavericks. You would think Nvidia would be all over fixing this issue since it's a technology that is a big selling point for them but I worry it's not a priority for them. I did a search and can't find anything in Nvidia blogs or anywhere else talking about these issues or any statement from Nvidia saying they know there is an issue and working on fixing it. If every program is having theses freezing issues when using the GPU it has to be a either a Nvidia graphic driver issue or a CUDA issue, I really don't see what else it could be. We are not all using the same graphic cards or Mac systems so I don't think its hardware related.

Return to posts index

Ryan Davis
on Mar 2, 2015 at 6:31:35 pm

I have all the symptoms as well but I am on an IMac 2014

Return to posts index

Chip Burns
on Feb 20, 2015 at 10:36:16 pm

And here's an image to show how the problem doesn't happen in Adobe apps exclusively. Once it stars, the graphics card is screwed all over the operating system.

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Feb 20, 2015 at 10:40:14 pm

yeah I'm seeing a lot of that... I'm using a late 2013 iMac. with an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB. I did a complete wipe of my system last night and today.. reinstalling Yosemite and all programs and plugins from scratch. I didn't see any gfx distortion the whole time.. then I opened PPRO and shortly after it started again.

Return to posts index

Ze'ev Gilad
on Feb 21, 2015 at 1:21:55 am

Does anyone know how to best cause this to happen so I can show the tech when I go to Apple Store?

Return to posts index

John Vargo
on Feb 25, 2015 at 9:58:06 pm

IN response to Ze'ev, it happens to me whenever I work the GPU hard, mostly during rendering.

rMPB 15 2.5 GHz i7/16GB RAM/GT 750M 2048 MB

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Feb 25, 2015 at 10:12:22 pm

I am not using CUDA but it started happening again today with OpenCL. Which I heard it wasn't supposed to. Actually worked without issue for a few days. However, I opened a project from another editor who uses CUDA. I wonder if that had anything to do with it? But I don't know how that is possible. Project was set to Open CL per my default. I deleted render files but didn't fix it.

Return to posts index

Justin Crowell
on Feb 25, 2015 at 10:34:58 pm

"I am not using CUDA but it started happening again today with OpenCL. Which I heard it wasn't supposed to. "

I know that for me (and from what I can tell, most other people), it happens when either GPU option is enabled as long as the CUDA drivers are installed.

Editor, Motion Graphics Designer, Director
JustinCrowell.com

Return to posts index

Ingo Schmoll
on Feb 21, 2015 at 7:26:15 pm

Same thing here. I'm using the latest beta of Yosemite since I have a developer account. It doesn't make a difference. Im sure Nvidia Cuda is the culprit. Amazing how long it takes between Apple, Adobe and Nividia to figure things out. For Nvidia to go into total denial (I read the reply from their support from a different user) is just bad. At least Peter from Adobe is with us on this which kind of feels a little better. Im on a late 2013 Retina Mac Book Pro. Ive already sent a bug report to Apple and so should everyone here . Sharing the problem here is a good thing, but unless Apple receives actual bug reports on this a solution could be even further away.

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Feb 21, 2015 at 9:02:53 pm

Well today, Miraculously I am working on a project in AE and PPro CC2014 in Yosemite and I am not having an issue. I installed a clean version of Yosemite yesterday as well as CC and plugins. The only thing I did differently was later yesterday I repaired permissions and I went in and switched all programs to Open CL. AE, PPro and Media Encoder. so far so good...

Return to posts index

Ingo Schmoll
on Feb 21, 2015 at 10:02:34 pm

Brian, as far as I read this thread noone had this problem with glitchy graphics when switching from Cuda to Open CL. But switching to Open CL means the Nvidia card is not used for rendering etc which slows render times down a bunch.

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Feb 21, 2015 at 10:47:14 pm

yeah it's a bummer. has anyone experimented with eGPU?

Return to posts index

Ze'ev Gilad
on Feb 21, 2015 at 11:26:49 pm

Actually, from what I've gathered, speaking with nvidia, as well as watching my GPU usage monitor (iStat Menus),
OpenCL *does* use the GPU, but less efficiently.

Do a test of OpenCL vs Software-Only and see what you get. It should be considerably faster.

Return to posts index

Ze'ev Gilad
on Feb 21, 2015 at 10:33:07 pm
Last Edited By Ze'ev Gilad on Feb 21, 2015 at 10:34:18 pm

I also have no problem if I use OpenCL. I thought that wasn't the issue here.
The problem for me is with CUDA, which, when it works, is much faster.

Or are you saying you switched to OpenCL then back to CUDA and it's working?

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Feb 21, 2015 at 10:34:58 pm

agreed. I'm just glad to resolve the problem visually. now hopefully someone Apple or NVIDIA will step up and release a fix.

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Feb 21, 2015 at 10:35:52 pm

has anyone tried using an external video card?

Return to posts index

Kevin Balling
on Feb 21, 2015 at 11:40:28 pm

I don't use CUDA, only Open CL and I get the problem with Premiere. I use Mountain Lion and I am on a late 2012 iMAC.
3.4 GHz Intel Core i7

Kevin Balling
Tin Roof Video

Return to posts index

Brian Vawter
on Feb 22, 2015 at 6:56:14 pm

I too have been having this Graphics Nightmare since installing Yosemite.

Currently running Yosemite 10.10.2, on a Mac Pro 4,1 (early 2009), with a Quadro 4000 and the latest CUDA
Driver Version 6.5.46

Also someone mentioned crashing issues while using PPro. I have been using my Utility Monitor to keep an eye on RAM usage and find that I can avoid the crashing by restarting when I've used up about 13 of my 16 GBs of RAM... pain in the ass, but I can keep working.

All the "should have backed upped" type comments are beside the point.

NVIDIA and Adobe need to get together and figure this out pronto, or the wisdom of paying that monthly fee to Creative Cloud is going to be seriously questioned.

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Feb 22, 2015 at 8:33:42 pm

I agree. I have encountered nothing but issues with CC from the installation of CC and CC2014 on 2014 MacPros as well as iMacs. Adobe seems to have corrected many of the issues along the way, but they seem to be quite behind the curve. I'm hoping someone comes up with something soon, otherwise why not go PC? - which to me would be the most devastating blow since the unprecedented sudden and abrupt yanking of FCP7.

Return to posts index

Ze'ev Gilad
on Feb 24, 2015 at 11:24:12 pm
Last Edited By Ze'ev Gilad on Feb 24, 2015 at 11:24:41 pm

Latest from nvidia:

Response Via Email (Gareth) 02/24/2015 03:22 PM
Hi,

There is an active investigation into these reports ongoing in conjunction with Apple and Adobe, but I don't have any specifics on the root cause or when a fix might arrive.

Regards,

Gareth

Nvidia Customer Care

Return to posts index

Justin Crowell
on Feb 25, 2015 at 2:18:56 am

Just want to add my two cents. I've been dealing with this problem on a Late 2013 15" MbPro (with the 750M GPU). I've been actively (and angrily, sometimes too rudely, sorry Peter!) posting about this on a really long forum at Adobe:
https://forums.adobe.com/message/7222460#7222460

Important notes:
- The repair program that is being touted as a solution is most likely unrelated to our problem. The repair appears to be for a hardware failure that has been around since 2011. Apple is seemingly only posting it now because of a recent class-action lawsuit.
- I have yet to see a single person for whom a hardware repair has provided the solution.
- To the contrary, it appears that the bugs are made more severe in 10.9 and 10.10, indicating a driver/software issue.
- Adobe's techs seem to be struggling to replicate the bug. I've offered (and continue to offer) to communicate directly with them to help.
- This is not a keystroke or order-of-launching type bug. It can't be simplified in that fashion.

I'd go down to the Apple store and shout, telling them I've bought a $3000 paperweight that I'm embarrassed to use in front of clients. But it won't do any good. And that's the reason why my next machine won't be an Apple.

JustinCrowell.com

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Feb 25, 2015 at 2:46:17 am

Good news. thanks Gareth!

Return to posts index

Levi Davis
on May 10, 2015 at 2:54:48 am

I too had the EXACT SAME issue. I was so confident that Apple doesn't know what they are doing that I bought the latest 2014 Macbook Pro with a discreet graphic card just to prove to them that they don't know what they are doing. Then, I went and bought a Dell XPS 8947 with the exact same graphic cards as the Macbook Pro Retina to solve the problem. In fact, every single issue you are dealing with on the Mac will automatically be accounted for on Windows. For example, "Do you want to use Cuda?" Of course you do! What is the default for editing in Premiere Pro with Windows? Of course it's Cuda. Want to render using Cuda? Cuda is the default render setting.

Guess what new computer didn't come out with the latest version of Macbooks? The 15" Macbook Pro with discreet graphic cards. What does it mean? We are all becoming aware that Mac and Cuda does not add up to a professional user experience.

To continue with the original discussion, Apple replaced my Early 2013 2.7 I7 motherboard in late December 2014. When I got the computer back, the problem was significantly worse. In my near 20 Apple store visits, the best help I had was to go into the statup Daemons and delete anything that wasn't up to date (Old Blackmagic Design configurations, Old Snow Leopard daemons...). That seemed to help significantly with random PR crashes! However, when editing with Cuda, a near 15% increase in performance, I always lost my Project Monitor and would get a black screen. Is it really a Pro? No. It's a Macbook. Did you pay for the Pro? WE ALL DID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I made the switch to Windows. Windows is not great for video editors. You're stuck in 32 bit world for viewing ProRes. There's no option to export ProRes. My new ProRes is CineForm, if you're interested. What do you do as an Apple owner? I've looked into buying the non-discreet Macbook Pro 15" and buying into Thunderbolt expansion and running a GTX970 or something along those lines... But, I still think there are issues with shader values and Cuda in general because of APPLE. As a windows user, coming from an Apple background, I'm thinking I need to start using Adobe an App that can show you video files in an explorer/finder type environment without having to open QT 7 or Windows Media Player? Believe it or not, I have serious issues playing video in real time on Windows, but can render it faster than on a Mac. That being said, the Apple OS is far superior.

I spent over a 100 hours talking to Apple to resolve the problem. In the end, they offered me a discount on a new computer. Two weeks of waiting around for Apple's consumer affairs department to find out what the discount was, I went to the Apple store and learned that it was the same discount as the educational discount, which I already qualified for. Consumer Affairs told me the best solution was to sell the Macbook Pro used and buy a new computer. Unfortunately, they don't make a better computer and they don't know it. Consumer Affairs responded to 2 emails over a total of 10 attempts to reach them. I can't say enough that when your computer doesn't work you need to find a solution. Apple took 2 months of my time trying to find a solution. They failed.

My suggestion for Apple is to stop supporting NVIDIA because they clearly have no understanding of how to implement it. That being said, perhaps their Coffee Can Pro, iMac Retina, and Macbook Pro Retina without discreet graphics (I don't think they should be called Pro) is the best machine to use in combination with a Thunderbolt expansion graphic card chassis. Then again, it's ridiculous to invest that kind of money when Windows is rendering videos far, far faster. I've gotten exact same results from a late 2013 Dell XPS 9530 2.2 i7 as I have with the late 2014 Apple 2.5 i7. They both have the NVIDIA GT 750M cards.

Anyway, this is a seriously frustrating conversation because we've probably all put a ton of time into working with Apple's OS and have a ton more time into formatting external in a Journaled, not EXFAT, format. Where are we? Where is the consumer? We're into May and we've probably all had this issue ever since we first had our computers. We're talking years on end here.

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Nov 19, 2015 at 2:38:15 pm

Anyone know if this issue has bene resolved with the recent CUDA and PPRO updates? I'm still on Mavericks and no longer havign the issue, but looking to upgrade OS.. but want to know if the issues with Yosemite or El Capitan will still exist. thanks.

Telly Award Winning Editor and Motion Gfx Artist with MotionFoundry, Inc., Nashville, TN. Former Head of Post Production, Coca-Cola Studios Atlanta, GA.

Return to posts index

Ryan Davis
on Feb 26, 2015 at 5:40:45 pm

I am experiencing the same problem on my new IMac.

I am going to try and roll back down to Mavericks and see if that helps me resume my normal workflow.

will report back.

Hopefully we get a solution in the form of an update soon as I actually like many of the new features in Yosemite

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Feb 26, 2015 at 7:41:35 pm

i believe earlier in this thread a moderator posted the procedure for removing the CUDA drivers. I might try that.

Return to posts index

Jim Swinson
on Feb 26, 2015 at 9:20:07 pm

I tried removing the Cuda driver last night and not using Cuda at all and it didn't help. I was using the new Colorista III in Premiere Pro CC 2014 and my iMac froze and rebooted. For the last year this has been only happening when I used anything from Red Giant but now it happens in Resolve, Final Cut Pro X and even just watching video on the web.

The way I narrowed it down to Red Giant before was whenever I used Colorista in a project it would continually crash and freeze Premiere and a lot of times my iMac. Also when I would render out a sequence when Colorista was used on it, it would crash my machine. On projects I did not use Colorista I almost never had any issues and was always able to render out the sequence with the computer not crashing. Now as long as I just edit it's fine but as soon as I add Colorista or even Neat Video it happens pretty quickly and makes Premiere unusable. I had hoped removing the Cuda driver would help but sure enough as soon as I started to use Colorista III it crashed my machine again.

Thought I would give Resolve a try for editing but within 5 minutes the computer crashed. Tried Final Cut Pro X a couple of weeks ago and it crashed the computer every 5 minutes.

I think this has something to do with the Cuda or any use of acceleration with Nvidia cards. Back when the issue was only happening with Red Giant software I could turn the rendering to software only and it would get through renders fine but not with Cuda or Open CL enabled.

Up until today I wanted to blame Red Giant but now i'm pretty sure it's more than just their software and something else going on. When I tried Final Cut Pro X it would crash with background rendering when the video card was being used. I could hear the fan speed up and always new a crash was coming soon but was thinking at the time it was Final Cut Pro X because the only other time the system would crash was when Red Giant was used.

I did notice after the last update to Cuda is when it got really bad but now it will take a day of editing to see if we are back to just it happening with Red Giant Software. Again I think this has to do with anything that uses the Nvidia card for acceleration, the fact that even without Cuda Colorista still crashed my system because it was probably using Open CL at that point. I'm pretty sure this is not an overheating problem like I have seen suggested in other forums.

I'm using a late 27" 2013 iMac less than 6 months old with 32 gigs of ram, Geforce GTX 780m and 512 gig ssd, Yosemite 10.10.2 wtth all updates installed. I was using Cuda driver 6.5.46 released on 1/28/15

Return to posts index

Brian Vawter
on Feb 26, 2015 at 10:28:37 pm

I just downloaded and installed a new version (new to me anyway) of the GPU driver, Ver 10.3.1 (343.02.02f01) This is in addition to having previously installed the latest CUDA driver Ver 6.5.46

I was never alerted to this new GPU driver in my CUDA preferences (inside my system Prefs)

I found this over at an Adobe forum:

136. Re: Adobe Premiere Pro CC Glitches Screen & Crashes Computer
thomasdavis79 Community Member thomasdavis79 Jan 29, 2015 7:26 AM (in response to Dennzus)
Dennzus (and et al.), what GPU driver are you using? You must use 10.1.43 (343.02.01f01) when using Yosemite. Found under CUDA preferences.

If you have Yosemite 10.10.1:
NVIDIA DRIVERS Quadro & GeForce Mac OS X Driver Release 343.02.01

If you have 10.10.2:
NVIDIA DRIVERS Quadro & GeForce Mac OS X Driver Release 343.02.02

I installed it and everything seems to be working great. SO FAR. After I get back to work in tomorrow's editing session I will see if the graphics are back to normal.

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Feb 26, 2015 at 10:36:50 pm

oh crap I'm using 10.2.1.. how do I go back without screwing anything up?

Return to posts index

Ingo Schmoll
on Feb 26, 2015 at 10:56:36 pm

It seems the GPU drivers you mentioned are e.g not compatible on a NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M card as in my Retina 15* mac book pro (late 2013) Downloading and trying to install the driver will give me this message "This computer is not compatible with the NVIDIA Web Driver."

Return to posts index

Justin Crowell
on Feb 27, 2015 at 12:46:05 am

There IS a method to extract the package, edit a line of text, re-compress and then install. But it's not worth it--this doesn't fix anything. Seems like there is a problem with the CUDA driver itself.

JustinCrowell.com

Return to posts index

Ze'ev Gilad
on Feb 27, 2015 at 1:20:26 am

So how do we start a class action suit against Apple?
Seems like the only way to get them to do something.

Return to posts index

Brian Vawter
on Feb 27, 2015 at 3:28:30 am

You're right, I should have made it clear that I was talking about a Mac Pro (5,1) with a Quadro 4000

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Feb 27, 2015 at 7:14:40 am

I don't know if this makes any sense.. maybe just a coincidence, but I trashed my media cache that was used in a previous PPro project that was handed off to me (that editor was using CUDA) and seems to be much better.

Return to posts index

Houston Bass
on Feb 27, 2015 at 10:26:54 pm

Having the same issues:

screen-shot-2014-12-08-at-9.12.54-pm.png

These graphics errors all appeared during, or after heavy work in premiere or after effects.

Return to posts index

Dan Finlayson
on Mar 1, 2015 at 3:33:02 am

Today I thought I'd "upgrade" to Yosemite. I decided to check the forums and man am I glad I did!

I have the 2010 Mac Pro 6-core with a Radeon HD 5870 GPU. And I came across a few threads like this one:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6606806

So I started researching Nvidia options. Hey! Maybe its time to get on the CUDA train! I GUESS NOT.

Seems like Yosemite just plain messes up a wide range of graphics cards. This is a big issue, affecting a lot of customers!

Return to posts index

Ze'ev Gilad
on Mar 1, 2015 at 9:56:24 pm
Last Edited By Ze'ev Gilad on Mar 2, 2015 at 4:44:33 pm

I may have found something...

I was about to take my machine in to Apple for service, but before doing so I thought I'd try running Premiere in a 'clean' user account.

So I made a new (admin) account, copied over some project files, and launched Premiere.

I set the project to CUDA, started 'working', and immediately noticed some differences: playback would start much faster, rendering started faster, less jerkiness in playback. And I was not getting any of the glitchiness. I had other issues besides the glitchiness, like clips dropped in dynamically from Ae would not update unless I manually switched over to Ae, and these things went away.

I didn't really spend several hours actually working, but it seems much smoother. Made me think the issue was due to 'gunked up' settings etc over months of work.

So I (backed up and) wiped my drive, clean installed Yosemite (I was on Mavericks before), set up CC etc. But after copying over all my settings, including downloading settings from Adobe, the performance was twitchy again. Bummer.

I created a fresh account again, and again, in the new account, Premiere performed much better. Even complex speed ramps and Ae clips played back incredibly fast in real time, better than I've seen in months.

I won't know for sure until I spend a day editing, but it might be that a lot of these issues stem from corruption or some kind in the user settings.

So I went back to my original account, and deleted EVERYTHING with the word 'adobe' or 'premiere' within my User folder (including ~/Library and ~/Documents). The performance is now similar to that of the 'clean' account.

So far it's working rather well ... I will report back after spending more time.

Maybe some other can test this out and report back ... try a fresh account, and if you notice a difference, go back to your main account and delete (or put aside) all the Adobe stuff in your ~ folder. DO NOT SYNC SETTINGS from Adobe servers.

If, like me, you absolutely need your custom keyboard shortcuts, you can manually copy the .kys files from
~/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Pro/8.0/Profile-CreativeCloud/Mac/

Return to posts index

Ze'ev Gilad
on Mar 2, 2015 at 5:03:50 pm

From the Adobe thread:

Hi All,

Thank you for offering your help to Adobe and other users. This is much appreciated. I'm sorry your experiencing this screen corruption issue.

We have been able to reproduce this issue and now we're trying to determine the cause. Unfortunately this is not a simple process and we're working closely with our partners to provide a fix as soon as possible.

Again, sorry for the inconvenience. We'll post updates as soon as they come.

Peter Garaway
Adobe
Premiere Pro

https://forums.adobe.com/message/7243916#7243916

Return to posts index

Doug Weiner
on Mar 5, 2015 at 3:04:28 pm

One interesting data point that might be useful:

Rendering sequences in Premier Pro Cloud using a Nvidia 650 Ti causes screen corruption while but using NVIDIA 5000 does not. Please note I didn't do exhaustive testing. Awhile back, I had the Nvidia 650 Ti installed and was getting the crashes which I thought was probably due to the fact the cards was a consumer card. So when I swapped out the card for an NVIDIA 5000 card (from an HP z800) and the problem went away, I thought I was right. Now back to the hardware/software details/workflow set-up.

I have a Hackintosh station using Premiere Pro CC. My source files are from HD TIFF image sequences, cut into timelines. (scanning old film). One sequence is destined for an HD ProRes quicktime, and the the other a smaller h264. The HD sequence has no effects, the h264 sometimes has a color correct (Colorista II or the built in Lumeri effects or built in Color Correct tool and a Time Code burn in. For rendering, I use Adobe Media Encoder for about 85 % and Premier 15%.

Hardware Setup:
i7 Hackintosh 3rd Gen Ivy
PP cloud 7.2.2 (v33)
CUDA: 6.5.18
GPU Driver Version: 8.17.76 (313.01.04f01)

Using the Titan 650 TI, I can regularly get screen corruption. I am unsure if I ever got this setup to work at all but I think it worked sometimes. Never on long sequences. Again, didn't exhaustive investigate.

However, using the exact setup about and the Nvdia 5000, I have made at least 500 renders this way - 10 to 30 minute sequences, all with hardware CUDA enabled.

I have very little professional computer training, but I have been alive before there were computers and watched them grow up - meaning this kind of issue seems early familiar to when you push hardware and software to new limits from Vendors or do not share critical info, you get these annoying anomalies for which nobody is willing to take responsibility. My experienced guess, its how the CUDA driver is managing the flow of memory on the card or the flow from the card to the OS. (Like the card/driver sloppily dumping 4 gigs of rendered stuff to the OS and the OS not able to deal with it like - oh shit, I was not built to handle that much data in a moments notice, and the card says, hey you said come to the party with some friends, and the OS says, yeah like bring one or two, I was prepared for a party of 20 people but you brought 100 with you, and the card says, WTF bro, you didn't' specify, and the OS says I didn't think I needed to, who the frick brings 100 people to a party, and the card says, what can I say I am popular, and the OS says, well you can't bring the 100 in here, I don't have the space for it even I wanted to, and the card, says this is bullshit I brought all these friends already I am coming in and then the two start arguing and finally some neighbor who was not invited the party and is quietly pissed about that but was putting up with it all to be a good neighbor because at least the party sounded fun through the closed door and he was getting a tiny bit of enjoyment from that, but in no way is going to put up with all the arguing and 100 people milling about the hallway, so he called the police and then the computer crashes. Its just like that.

Return to posts index

Ze'ev Gilad
on Mar 5, 2015 at 4:24:29 pm

LOL. Hilarious! ROTF

Return to posts index

John Vargo
on Mar 5, 2015 at 8:14:42 pm

I was able to get through a full edit yesterday with no corruption by disconnecting my external displays and using rMBP built-in display.

Anyone else have any success doing this?

Return to posts index

Jim Swinson
on Mar 5, 2015 at 8:33:47 pm

I had forgotten I did have some luck with that one time when I could not get through a render without my iMac rebooting so I disconnected my second monitor and it amazingly got through. Not sure why I did not think about that again and try it while editing also. The problem is I really like having my second monitor for full screen display of video especially when color correcting and color grading.

Return to posts index

John Vargo
on Mar 5, 2015 at 8:34:48 pm

I totally agree, but maybe it will help Adobe/Apple/NVIDIA with the troubleshooting.

Return to posts index

Jim Swinson
on Mar 5, 2015 at 8:36:30 pm

Definitely. I plan on doing some tests today and tomorrow and will report back.

Return to posts index

John Vargo
on Mar 5, 2015 at 8:40:21 pm

That would be great, thank you.

Return to posts index

John Vargo
on Mar 6, 2015 at 2:50:39 pm

Well it was going swimmingly, then this happened with only the built-in display.

So, at least we know it happens with or without an external display connected.

I also tried disconnecting my TB RAID drive and USB backup drive to no avail.

Return to posts index

Jim Swinson
on Mar 11, 2015 at 11:03:55 pm

Yeah I tried disconnecting my second monitor and it still crashes. My last render with Media Encoder it crashed within 12 seconds. Changed the setting to software only and it got through the render without any issues as always.

Return to posts index

Jim Swinson
on Mar 13, 2015 at 3:55:53 am

WOW! Now tonight I tried to use CUDA to render a project in Media Encoder and it got to about 20 minutes in before it crashed the computer with about 5 minutes left. So after reboot I tried software only and Media Encoder crashes as soon as the opening credits are done about 10 seconds into the render. I guess at this point It going to be a long night trying to get a 20-25 minute render done. My next project I'm going to have to try Davinci Resolve for editing. I have had it crash before but nothing like this. Does anyone know if Mavericks has these issue?

Return to posts index

Chris Wysoglad
on Mar 15, 2015 at 5:46:46 pm

I don't know if this is a contributing factor, but I JUST started experiencing this this week on a new project. The one thing that was different than any previous project is that our (agency) client supplied stills to us, and they were in CYMK and my off-line editor was unaware and dropped some into the timeline. Now I haven't scrubbed the project since I started on-line'ing it (due to tight delivery), but there still may be some peppered throughout the timeline. Anything I've been adding into Premiere Pro or After Effects has been scrubbed thru Photoshop and changed to RGB & 72dpi. My issues only seem to start when I open the Project in Premiere Pro. I've been working on another project in After Effects all morning with zero issues.

Don't know if it helps, but I thought I'd toss it out here.

-Chris

------------
iMac(27", Late 2012), 32Gb RAM, OSX 10.10.2, NVIDIA GTX 680MX, CUDA 6.5.45

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Mar 15, 2015 at 9:33:34 pm

I always convert images to RGB so I couldn't confirm that or not. I'm heaving only intermittent issues now. every once and a while for no apparent reason. On the Adobe sight it suggests converting all footage to the same codec. But that's kinda weird since the whole big perk of switching to adobe out of the gates from FCP7 was the feature of being able to edit with multiple codecs simultaneously. I've been converting footage to prores like I used to in FCP

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Mar 18, 2015 at 5:26:34 pm

I'm actually - please forgive me - tossing around the notion of buying a PC workstation for Adobe CC. Anyone have any feedback on this crazy notion? Looks like even the high end workstation builders like ProMax have discarded Macs in their offerings. ProMax used to do Mac and PC builds, but they have discontinued Macs... maybe because of the uncertainty. Us people sure don't need uncertainty at this point.

Return to posts index

Chip Burns
on Mar 18, 2015 at 5:31:48 pm

You're not crazy at all. A colleague of mine actually just wrote an article about making the switch:

http://outpostpictures.tv/news/confessions-former-apple-fan-boy/

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Mar 18, 2015 at 5:37:39 pm

I don't know man!! haha.. Like changing religions. I may be damned for all eternity.

Return to posts index

Jim Swinson
on Mar 18, 2015 at 6:53:28 pm

I decided to make the move to Mac last year after installing Windows 8 on my system and after about 30 minutes of using it formatted and went back to Windows 7. At that moment I made the decision if that was the way Microsoft was going with Windows I had no choice but to move to the dark side. It had been a couple of years since I had built an editing station and I was having lots of issues with Windows 7 like blue screens, updates screwing things, adobe crashing it. Lots of issue and I had finally had enough. I spent my $4k on on my iMac and up until Yosemite came out I was thinking the old saying "once you go MAC you never go back" was true. Now i'm not so sure. I don't think Windows 10 will be any better but I'm pretty much stuck for another 2 years. I really do love my iMac and OSX and up until last year was one of those that swore a PC and Windows was the way to go and when I moved over found out what I had been missing. If they could get this one issue solved I think for most including myself everything else is fine. i actually cringe when thinking of going back now but I got to say with this current issue it has crossed my mind.

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Mar 18, 2015 at 7:04:17 pm

yes I wonder if it's just trading one problem for another. I've never edited on PC so I don't know.

Return to posts index

Jim Swinson
on Mar 18, 2015 at 7:17:43 pm

Yeah I was a Windows fanboy but I started to add up all the troubleshooting I did over a year with hardware issues, blue screens, update issues, random crashing with the OS and also Adobe, having to format to just about fix every issue and then a week later another one would pop up. I was running a nvidia quadro 4000 card and it had a lot of issue on the PC. I added up I was wasting several days per month just fixing my system. Moved to Mac and up until Yosemite everything was pretty good. I'm just hoping this is not a sign Apple is going the opposite direction now. I guess at this point we don't know if it's Apple, Adobe or Nvidia to blame so i'm holding judgement.

Return to posts index

John Vargo
on Mar 19, 2015 at 10:43:24 am

I have been a Mac user for a long time, and I will say this: Yosemite is very uncharacteristic for Apple. Most OS upgrades have been relatively solid. Yosemite is the first time I've been really disappointed with Apple.

No matter, I rolled my iMac back to Mavericks and its as fast and reliable as it always has been.

Next I need to find the time to roll back my Macbook Pro.

Return to posts index

Ze'ev Gilad
on Mar 20, 2015 at 3:45:14 pm

nvidia just released a new CUDA driver: http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-cuda-7.0.29-driver.html

!!!

Return to posts index

Brian Vawter
on Mar 21, 2015 at 7:28:04 pm

I installed the latest CUDA driver Version: 7.0.29 and initially I thought it solved the problem , but alas, the graphic artifacts reappeared and I've had several crashes. To be fair I am working on a graphic intensive sequence with up to 8 layers, some nested, but I've done that in the past, BY (before Yosemite).
I really am thinking about going back to Mavericks, Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Jim Swinson
on Mar 22, 2015 at 4:23:42 am

This has gotten to the point where I just can't get anything done. This has to be a Nvidia CUDA issue considering a lot of us are running different versions of mac hardware and all having issues. Not only that but I can't run Resolve, Final Cut Pro X, Speed Grade, or Premiere Pro without any of them crashing within a couple of minutes. Can anyone running Mavericks and utilizing CUDA verify that they are having any issue or at least is it minimal with Mavericks. This is the first time I have ever been in the position where I can't just switch to a different editing program or change out a computer part to fix an issue and get things done.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 22, 2015 at 4:35:50 am

I'm running under Mavericks with a GTX 690 Mac Edition, and all seems good. I am having a very strange issue that doesn't affect editing however - if I turn off computer monitor #1 the cooling fans in my Mac will suddenly start to spin at about a zillion mph. But, as soon as o hit the power switch to turn it back on the fans return to normal operation. I've never encountered that before, and have no logical explanation for it, but since everything else seems to be just fine I'm not going to worry about it now.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

Return to posts index

Jim Swinson
on Mar 22, 2015 at 4:40:40 am

Thanks for responding. I might just have to format and go back to Mavericks then. I really don't have any other options.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 22, 2015 at 4:46:49 am

I would definitely do a ground up reinstall with Mavericks. Then, if you wind up with a working system, make sure to clone it to a FireWire drive, and keep that on the shelf for safety. And, before doing upgrades or updates you'll have a way to get back up and running in minutes.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

Return to posts index

Ze'ev Gilad
on Mar 22, 2015 at 4:53:38 am

Did you reboot after installing the new driver?

You should..

Return to posts index

Jim Swinson
on Mar 22, 2015 at 12:08:25 pm

Yeah I pretty much tried everything and the new CUDA driver just made things worse. I have just formatted and finally back on Mavericks and in the process of installing all of the Adobe Creative Cloud programs I use. Soon I will know if this helps and if it does I plan on making a backup and sticking with it until I know things are fixed.

Return to posts index

Kevin Balling
on Mar 22, 2015 at 12:29:41 pm

Regarding switching away from Yosemite, I Just want to reiterate my previous posts. I get the screen-glitch problem described by everyone else, and I am on Mountain Lion. I do not use CUDA either--not even installed on my system. I use Open CL. I am on a late 2012 iMAC.
3.4 GHz Intel Core i7

It MAY be worse with Yosemite but it is not exclusive to it. Hope this hels your decision.

Kevin Balling

Kevin Balling
Tin Roof Video

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Mar 22, 2015 at 2:14:40 pm

I really hope Adobe is still monitoring this thread. It would seem to me that whether it be an NVIDIA, Apple, or Adobe issue, Adobe CC is the toolset we all need. The toolset that needs to function and function reliably. and I hope they will champion the cause and quickly and completely resolve this issue with all parties concerned.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 22, 2015 at 3:52:32 pm

Hey Kevin, I'm a bit confused due to my admitted ignorance regarding Open CL. I thought Cuda was for use with Nvidia GPUs, and Open CL for ATI cards. So, I guess my question is, is Open CL in fact open source code essentially designed to work with virtually all GPUs?

FYI, I have heard that Adobe software does not benefit as much when using Open CL as with Cuda, at least at this point in its development. Is that still true?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

Return to posts index

Kevin Balling
on Mar 22, 2015 at 4:14:03 pm

Hi David,
I too am ignorant of the whole thing. All I know was that when I switched from Final Cut to Adobe CC, Premiere only gave me two options Open CL and Software Only. I used Open CL without any problems except for the random screen-glitching that this forum is discussing. So I downloaded CUDA and it gave me lots of other unrelated problems(can't recall specifics) and it did not solve the screen glitching problem. So I uninstalled Cuda and went back to Open CL.
The glitch problem is really not too much of a problem but it does show itself at times, especially when I am doing lots of effects, using Denoiser, heavy photo files, graphics, etc.
I am sitting with Mountain Lion for now because I am timid to go to Mavericks and certainly not Yosemite until this thing clears up.
Sorry I couldn't be more intelligent about the technical aspects. Have a great day.

Kevin Balling
Tin Roof Video

Return to posts index

Anton Vlasov
on Mar 26, 2015 at 1:19:30 pm

The same problem.

Return to posts index

Anton Vlasov
on Mar 26, 2015 at 1:42:51 pm

CUDA 7.0.29 driver for MAC . Some one install this? Does it fix the problem?

Return to posts index

Brian Vawter
on Mar 26, 2015 at 2:55:22 pm

I went back 2 versions and after doing a uninstall of Ver 7.0.29 driver for MAC, and reinstalled Ver 6.5.45
Why did I do that? Well, on the Nvidia site where you download the driver, if you go to the information tab you see this message:

"Note: this driver does not support the older generation GPUs with SM1.x. Please download CUDA driver 6.5.45 which supports SM1.x."

What the heck is SM1.x. ?

After checking out the System Report on both my Mac Pros (4,1 and 5,1) , the GPU numbers for each are SMC V 1,39f5 and SMC V 1.39F11, Assuming that this is what the Nvidia note is referring to, that means that version 6.5.45 is the last version compatible with my Mac Pros.

Going on this assumption, I uninstalled the latest drivers on both Mac Pros and reinstalled V 6.5.45

So far so good performance wise, BUT I haven't had a really long editing session yet and am not ready to claim success yet.

If anyone can verify my logic in the steps I took, that would be greatly appreciated. In the meantime I will let you all know if I encounter the problem again.
Fingers crossed.

Return to posts index

Gabe Pannell
on Apr 1, 2015 at 6:56:23 pm

I tried this same thing with no luck. Still seeing the graphics errors and getting full shutdowns when under GPU stress.

Did you have any luck?

Return to posts index

Ze'ev Gilad
on Mar 26, 2015 at 6:43:19 pm

The new CUDA 7, on 10.9.5, WITHOUT RUNNING CHROME, seems to work quite well.

There is a lot more info on this issue at
https://forums.adobe.com/message/7341370

Return to posts index

JP Pelc
on Mar 27, 2015 at 8:06:25 pm

I've only skimmed through this massive thread but I can confirm that this is NOT just an issue with 10.10 Yosemite. I faced this problem with a machine at my former office, here were my specs:

iMac 27" Late 2012
Mac OSX 10.8.5
3.4 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB

I didn't even bother to put the Adobe version number because I am certain it was not an Adobe issue, it would happen randomly often while just using a web browser or finder.

Return to posts index

Gabe Pannell
on Apr 1, 2015 at 6:53:45 pm

Any updates on this?

Return to posts index

Brian Vawter
on Apr 2, 2015 at 10:51:40 am

I've now switched to Open CL, completly bypassing CUDA , and having less problems, a few graphic glitches but no crashes so far.
When will Adobe address this problem? I've invested in 2 Quadro 4000 cards for my Mac Pros. Adobe couldn't have touted how great CUDA was more than they have in the last year. and it was great, WHEN IT WORKED. Now it is dead in the water.
Is anyone from Adobe reading this?
Please respond

Return to posts index

Ze'ev Gilad
on Apr 3, 2015 at 7:47:14 pm

I don't know if Adobe is reading >this<, but they are reading this:

https://forums.adobe.com/message/7403159#7403159

GREAT NEWS, "NVIDIA has isolated the issue..." see link above

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Apr 4, 2015 at 1:52:39 am

Yes, this is the latest news. Thanks for reposting it over here.

Cheers,
Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Ingo Schmoll
on Apr 4, 2015 at 1:59:30 am

Finally some good news Kevin ! Lets all hope what they found really stops the glitches once and for all ! Its been a real pain and the time it took to fix this has been way too long for people like us who rely on Premiere for our work.

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Apr 4, 2015 at 6:17:05 pm

For sure, Ingo. For now, use Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (OpenCL). I hope that works out while we await a fix.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Jason Guerra
on Apr 4, 2015 at 8:43:21 pm

The thread on the Adobe form is a little hard to flow, but if I understand it correctly 7.0.35 does NOT contain the fix. It is still unreleased. Is that correct? Because 7.0.35 is worse on my machine, and I mean much, much worse.

Return to posts index

Stephen Bakopanos
on Apr 20, 2015 at 10:37:14 am

Wow. How have I not come across this thread earlier??? After months of suffering through these exact problems, I was about to toss my GPU in the bin thinking it was the culprit. Instead, all I have to do is trash CUDA. Hope a fix is found soon so I can get it back though...

Return to posts index

Gabe Pannell
on May 3, 2015 at 6:36:54 pm

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on May 3, 2015 at 7:20:33 pm

excellent. yeah Adobe keeps sending me surveys and my response with each gets more and more negative. they sure are gearing up after NAB with all these new goodies while seemingly ignoring the major cries of their Mac users. don't get it. IF there really is a fix on the way, why don't they give more press on it?

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on May 3, 2015 at 7:25:17 pm

Any other conspiracy theorists out there that think the Mac platform is a far less bang for the buck for Adobe? wondering if we are seeing the end of days for the Mac platform being used for professional apps.

Return to posts index

Jason Guerra
on May 4, 2015 at 5:13:16 pm

I don't know about end of days, people have been predicting that the entire time I've worked in post, even well before FCP-Gate. The vast majority of post shops and freelancers I know still use Macs and have no interest in anything else. So I also think Adobe is selling plenty of CC subscriptions to Mac users, and not just in the TV/film crowd.

As for Adobe ignoring the problem, it is frustrating. I have actually seen versions of this problem with Mavericks, so it's been close to a year and a half. I will say it's also a little unfair to lay the blame strictly at Adobe's feet. NVIDIA, and Apple don't even acknowledge the problem at all, at least not publicly. And I believe NVIDIA is most to blame, as it's their drivers that cause the problem. Premiere, AE, run glitch free using OpenCL. CUDA has caused problems for me in Finder and Safari, when nothing else running.

For now I have uninstalled CUDA, I'll take the OpenCL perfrmance hit over this mess. I keep an eye on this thred, and a few others on Adobe's forums, to see if a real fix ever gets reported, but in the mean time, no CUDA for me.

Return to posts index

Kevin Balling
on May 4, 2015 at 5:20:13 pm

As I have stated many times on this thread, this is not a CUDA or a Yosemite problem. Perhaps it makes it worse, I don't know, but I use OpenCL exclusively, and I still on Mountain Lion, and I have been dealing with this glitch problem for a couple of years.

Kevin Balling
Tin Roof Video

Return to posts index

Jason Guerra
on May 4, 2015 at 5:33:43 pm

Kevin, it's entirely possible we have different bugs with that produce very similar visual distortion. I agree that it's not limited to Yosemite, as I have seen the issue on Mavericks. But, as i said in my previous post, I have seen these visual distortions in Finder Safari, and Mission Control, when no Adobe program, none at all, not even the CC app, are running. So that means, the issue I am dealing with is either an OS bug that Apple hasn't bothered to fix for multiple version of the system, or a CUDA bug. Based on the fact that I haven't seen the issue on my machine, after uninstalling CUDA, and the lack of larger panic in the non-pro Mac using community, who don't use CUDA, I have to conclude, the issue I am having is with that technology.

That doesn't mean there isn't an issue in PP that causes the same glitches on a Moutnain Lion based OpenCL system.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 4, 2015 at 6:01:13 pm

For what it's worth I'm currently jumping between a MBP w/an AMD GPU anding running Mountain Lion and a older Mac Pro running Mavericks w/an Nvidia card, and the MBP runs fine while the tower glitches out with CUDA enabled. Same version of PPro (CC 2014), same project file, same media just different machines.

On my tower I have to run in OpenCL or Software mode and even then there are occasional hiccups (GUI slow to update), but nothing show stoping. On a previous project the tower was running Mountain Lion, PPro CC 2013 and I had no problems using CUDA.

I thought I read somewhere (maybe it was NAB-related) that someone at Nvidia said they were aware of the problem and were trying to work on a fix. I can't find the link though so maybe it was just a dream. ;)

Return to posts index

Ingo Schmoll
on May 4, 2015 at 6:09:43 pm

No Andrew, that wasn't a dream. Actually Kevin from Abobe posted a while ago that NVIDIA apparently found a fix and would deliver it soon. Since then Kevin removed his promising posting. I don't know why, but since his message appaered and disppeared a couple of weeks ago we didn't get a fix from NVIDIA. I hope Kevin was right by stating that they are aware of this mess and have actually figured out how to fix this asap

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 5, 2015 at 6:31:04 am

[Ingo Schmoll] "No Andrew, that wasn't a dream."

Thanks for letting me know that Kevin pulled teh post, Ingo. I thought I was losing my mind. haha

I know the Adobe guys try to be open and maybe Kevin overstepped his bounds by talking about a 3rd party like that. At least we know Nvidia is aware of it and hopefully a fix will come sooner rather than later. It''s gotta be hard though since Adobe, Nvidia and Apple are all in variables here and sometimes bugs can be persistent little things.

Return to posts index

Michael Duff
on May 6, 2015 at 11:56:10 am

Has anyone had this repair done on their MBP Retina mid-2012?

MacBook Pro Repair Extension Program for Video Issues
https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

I have zero problems when running Mavericks but with Yosemite I get all the graphics glitches, constant crashing, black screen in premiere, etc etc.

So I'm wondering if anyone with a mid-2012 MBP Retina has had this repair done and if they can comment on whether it fixes the issues? I live in West Africa with no Apple stores so it will be quite a mission for me to get the laptop to London to do this repair.

Thanks!

Michael
http://www.duff.tv
http://www.gmbfilms.com

Return to posts index

Jason Guerra
on May 6, 2015 at 4:28:23 pm

It is my understanding that the warranty extension program for the mid-2012 rMBP is a different issue then the one being discussed here. That issue was actually a manufacturing defect with the NVIDIA chip. It would cause the whole screen to go black when the chip got too hot. It didn't always lock up, but because your screen was off you couldn't see anything. It did cause lookups and crashes, but the full black screen was the most common symptom. Because it was a hardware issue, the only fix was to replace the card.

The issue we are discussing is software related. It is linked to the use of the CUDA driver from NVIDIA, especially when used with Premiere Pro. Its most common symptom is visual distortion and breakup of the image. The distortion is often limited to the viewer windows inside Premiere, and changes or goes away with as you continue to play the timeline. While this issue does cause system lookups and crashes, they are infrequent compared to the visual distortion issue. As this is software related, a hardware swap will not resolve it, I know, I tried swapping the hardware multiple times before finding this thred and realizing it was software. There is no available fix for this issue, though many of us have had success with uninstalling CUDA. You have to make sure it's completely uninstalled, looking up and removing all the library folders, and not just removing the preference pane.

So if you think you have the hardware issue, send it in. If you think it's the software issue, try uninstalling CUDA and seeing if you get any improvement with your problem.

Return to posts index

Michael Duff
on May 6, 2015 at 5:24:27 pm

ok thanks ... shame, I was hoping this was the magic fix! Actually I can live with the graphics glitches ... but my machine does crash a lot when running PP... especially if I'm pushing it with 4k or something render heavy. Maybe this could be linked to the card getting hot and crashing...? M machine does qualify for the repair so I guess I may as well get it done... but I might not rush to it.

So, I guess a downgrade to Mavericks is on the cards. Such a pain though as I stuck it out on yosemite for a few weeks and quite like it (apart from the crashing).

Thanks again for the advice

Return to posts index

alex ziog
on May 7, 2015 at 1:08:47 pm

Ok, time for to post my 5 kopek)
I've bought (finally!) my new top macbook pro, the one with 512gb ssd, 16gb ram and so on. I was happy as hell, until I started to make my first premiere pro project on it. Of course, I've set the project settings to Mercury CUDA. And, dramatical pause - I press enter to render preview my thing. Black scree immediately. Crash. Reboot. Pause. Ok, I thought, shit happens - I did not save the project, so I've made all the changes... pressed enter. Same damn thing happened. (And in between I've had those glitches which is everyone is talking about here).
Panic.
Ok google, HELP ME, I've just bought a probably world most powerful, and for sure, most expensive laptop, and seems like something is wrong with it, possibly video card fail.
First stupid thing I've found is to make the apple "diagnostics". Thats another funny thing, well, could be funny, if it wouldn't cost so much money. So diagnostics said to me something like "no errors found", and next line is "error ADP000" which after another "research" was something like "ok, this means, that you don't have any errors. but maybe you have", anyway, I even don't want to comment on it, ridiculous situation, another surprise by brilliant apple people living, probably, somewhere outside planet Earth.
Anyway, I've found this thread and was reading it like some kind of novel, not going straight to end, but reading everything, such a drama appeared in front of my eyes. But till this moment I thought that there is already a solution, but so much time had passed by - and no luck!
So I will try to localise the thing. I noticed, that other applications that are using OpenCL, for instance, are not producing any of that cool glitches as Premiere does. So the thing is going on with Premiere Pro. And probably Yosemite - I remember working on same machine like some months ago, with Mavericks running, rendering some really hardcore AE projects - never had any issues...
Well, I know my post is useless regarding that you guys already mentioned all that, but I just want to express my feelings about all the situation and let everyone know, that somewhere is one more quite shocked person.

ADOBE, NVIDIA, APPLE please come back from your planet Paradise to our poor planet Earth and help people get their jobs done!

Return to posts index

Stephen Bakopanos
on May 7, 2015 at 12:37:05 pm

It's definitely a CUDA issue. I was putting up with it for weeks thinking it was a PPro issue. Then, after getting fed up with the disruptions it was causing, I began googling around and discovered that it was all linked to CUDA. As soon as I removed the CUDA drivers, everything worked fine again.

Still, I'd like to have CUDA back - when it works, it has a bit of an edge over OpenCL

Return to posts index

Andrew Johnstone
on May 7, 2015 at 8:11:17 pm

I have just started seeing an issue with video rendering in PP CS6 this week.

I thought I had isolated the issue to 2 x slow drives - odd since they are both brand new Thunderbolt drives! I reconfigured them with one connected to the Mac using USB3 instead, but the issue still seems to be the case.

I have never had issues rendering in PP before now. I have used the app for dozens of film projects. My issues are here:

https://app.box.com/s/0dzctuaxpk9hw4n4rudvvviuu0ljjtgx

Glitching after rendering.

This thread has been suggested to me but I am not convinced that I am necessarily sharing similar problems. Either way I need a fix soon.

Andy Johnstone
Wild Dog Limited

Return to posts index

Andrew Johnstone
on May 7, 2015 at 9:46:30 pm

For what it is worth, while I try to figure out my current playback/rendering issues with PP, I am recreating my edit from an XML file in FCP7. So far it is working fine, with no hint of an issue.

Andy Johnstone
Wild Dog Limited

Return to posts index

Andrew Johnstone
on May 8, 2015 at 1:55:15 pm

And it is worth pointing out that while FCP7 is much slower than PP for all the various 32 v. 63 bit architecture reasons (and everything else) FCP& is completely stable and I have no video playback issues what so ever.

So is my problem essentially not a graphics card/driver problem but actually an issue with PP itself?

Andy Johnstone
Wild Dog Limited

Return to posts index

Jason Guerra
on May 8, 2015 at 3:24:34 pm

The problem is with Nvidia's CUDA drivers. FCP does not leverage CUDA. FCP 7 does not use any GPU acceleration (one of the many reasons it's slower), and FCP X uses OpenCL to power its GPU acceleration, so neither version will have this issue.

Premiere Pro can use either OpenCL or CUDA. CUDA is generally faster, but with this bug it's obviously not the best tool right now. Unfortunately simply choosing OpenCL from PP's Mercy Playback drop down in project settings does not resolve the issue. Several people, myself included, have restorted to completely removing the CUDA drivers and have found that resolves the issue. Kevin from Adobe posted a list of directories you need to delete in order to completely remove CUDA, earlier in this thread. All of these need to be removed, or a left over piece of the driver may still cause issues.

Return to posts index

Andrew Johnstone
on May 8, 2015 at 4:34:10 pm

Yes of course, but I am not convinced disabling my work station just for PP is worth all that hoo haa. The bottom line is that I simply do not have time to fiddle about testing settings etc. This is the job for the programme developers. As an end user I just need to be able to boot up and work. We pay good money to Adobe for this software and they owe us all a fix clearly! I am sure they are doing what they can and I confess I never had that sort of confidence in Apple when things went wrong with FCP.

The fact remains that FCP7 is still a very good work horse and although it is slower, I have had no issues with my edit at all today. It is a shame as I enjoy Premiere Pro.

I have done all I can to eliminate issues. I have re-plumbed all my drives. I have cut still file sizes. I have cleaned out my render cash/scratch disk, but nothing seems to improve the performance and playback. Very frustrating.

Andy Johnstone
Wild Dog Limited

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on May 8, 2015 at 10:30:23 pm

Anyone having solid success with Current CC2014 and Mavericks? Thinking I need to go back. Having terrible issues lately.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 8, 2015 at 10:42:33 pm

Yes! Running on an older 2008 Mac Pro under Mavericks, with a GTX 680 Mac Edition and Cuda.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 8, 2015 at 11:35:18 pm

[Brian Cooney] "Anyone having solid success with Current CC2014 and Mavericks? Thinking I need to go back. Having terrible issues lately."

I've got a 2009 MP with Mav and an Nvidia 660ti and I can use OpenCL but if I switch to CUDA things get wonky.

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on May 8, 2015 at 11:48:31 pm

Thanks guys. I'm running....

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012)
3.4 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Just did the latest apple proapps updates (i also have FCPX installed) and safari update the other day and PPro is barely running..

Return to posts index

Rob Davis
on May 9, 2015 at 4:26:53 pm

I too have been having this issue with my late 2014 Macbook Pro and posted it here: https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/3/964588

I'm under the impression this is an issue with the CUDA drivers. Can't decide whether to uninstall and run off the CPU or just live with it for now. It's even worse when using an external thunderbolt display. Why has this not been fixed?!

Return to posts index

Jason Guerra
on May 9, 2015 at 4:42:02 pm

Uninstalling CUDA doesn't mean having to use CPU only. An Nvidia card can still use OpenCL for GPU accelerated Mercury Playback. CUDA is generally considered faster then OpenCL, but either option will significantly out perform the software only setting.

Return to posts index

Rob Davis
on May 9, 2015 at 4:43:49 pm

That's a good point. Would you say that's the best option at the moment?

I didn't really notice a performance dropoff with OpenCL until I started dealing with some AVCHD clips or something like that, which required more rendering.

Return to posts index

Jason Guerra
on May 9, 2015 at 4:55:16 pm

At least for me, I noticed the bugs actually got worse with the 7.x CUDA update, compared to the 6.5.x updates. So, that was the line for me, I uninstalled, and figure any lost time due to the performance difference is more then made up for by not needed to constantly work around the glitch or restart. My workflows also tend to be light on any rendering, so milage may very.

I've been happy and bug free sense uninstalling CUDA. So, I am going CUDA free until this is 100% fixed.

Return to posts index

Andrew Johnstone
on May 10, 2015 at 2:08:18 pm

OK, I am going to bow out of this discussion.

I have finally nailed the problem that has been causing all the issues on my Premiere Pro time line. I bought a plugin to fix a problem with some strobing/flickering footage and this is the source of the grief. The plugin demands too much horse power from my system and causes the flickering images and blocky play back/rendering issue that I have seen. When in combination with other effects added to the time line (simple colour grades from the 'Fast Colour Corrector" built into PP), this plugin causes all the havoc.

I have notified the plugin producer and I am now hoping for a refund.

from what I can see, PP requires a significant amount of system resources to render effects in real time and clearly my system is not up to it. I will need to find someone with a much more powerful set up for colour grading in PP.

Interestingly though I do not have similar issues in FCP7. My colour grade has worked fine through the entire timeline in FCP7.

Andy Johnstone
Wild Dog Limited

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on May 26, 2015 at 5:22:10 pm

OK.. this weekend I wiped everything and did a fresh Mavericks install with the latest CC app updates and CUDA 6.5.51. Everything is working like a dream again. :-)

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 26, 2015 at 6:06:20 pm

Of course! I posted that solution here ages ago... :)

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on May 26, 2015 at 6:58:34 pm

I'm stubborn sometimes! :D

Return to posts index

Bob Pierce
on May 29, 2015 at 8:10:37 pm

Has there been any progress on solving this issue? It's coming up on 6 months since the thread began! It's still very much a daily struggle for me.

Return to posts index

Joe Rusnak
on Jun 4, 2015 at 4:09:49 pm

Just an update...I was previously getting graphics errors in many different apps. It seemed like when you open a big project that tapped into the extreme limits of your system (CPU, RAM, GPU, GPU RAM) even when a Premiere project was closed the nVidia card was still burping up pixels. Other programs were not redrawing properly. Here are my system specs:

OSX Yosemite 10.10.3 (14D136)
iMac (27-inch, Late 2012)
3.4 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

I followed these instructions to uninstall CUDA completely:
DELETE the following files:
REBOOT

I am happy to report that deleting these files has so far resulted in OpenCL taking over and working fine. What was curious was that my huge project actually opened faster! And the rendering wasn't that bad either. In my opinion nVidia is purely a GPU with no special powers as a result of the lack of driver support. So...its conspiracy theory time!

Maybe Apple isn't that interesting in fixing the problems with nVidia drivers? or not that interesting in cooperating with them to fix the green chip I have in my system that is supposed to make it go very very fast because? What's in Coffee Can Pro? ATI dual GPU solution! If you are a Mac purist and just can't fathom working on a PC Coffee Can Pro has to be something that looks tempting even at that exorbitant price! If Apple is counting on users that have buyers remorse for getting anything that has nVidia they can and will sell a lot more Pro machines. Just a thought.

In the meantime OpenCL is plenty fast. No more graphics errors. Screen previews work great. Element 3D previews are very snappy. It just seems like there is a psycological block when it comes to having the latest and greatest drivers to match the hardware. I know I suffered before deleting the crap that wasn't working (CUDA). Thank goodness OpenCL is available on the Mac side.

At home I have a PC with an nVidia GeForce 670 and it is plenty fast using CUDA. No errors. I doubt it is any faster than this Mac with no CUDA drivers I have here at work. I just can't see every buying a Mac personally...especially when the iMac which is the only thing I would every be able to afford doesn't have CUDA which should be a selling feature!! Hard to believe it doesn't work!!

Delete your CUDA. You will be glad you did!

Return to posts index

patrick weishampel
on Jun 16, 2015 at 9:08:12 pm

Yes, Have there been any updates on this problem? Has anyone tried out Cuda again with the new adobe releases?

Return to posts index

Kannan Raghavan
on Jun 17, 2015 at 4:51:38 am

OS X 10.10.13 Yosemite, MacPro early 2009, Quadro 400 for Mac.
Worked well last week with PrPro CC2014, works well today with PrPro CC 2015. In fact, only CUDA acceleration works for me with CC 2015. Open CL gives green frames, am not sure why. I also have Radeon HD5770 installed.

Kannan Raghavan
The Big Toad Films Pte. Ltd.

Return to posts index

Joe Walker
on Jul 7, 2015 at 9:49:53 pm

I just tried the latest CUDA release as of this morning (7.0.56 I believe) on 10.10.4 / iMac GeForce GTX 680MX. I'm running all the latest CC 2015 apps and STILL getting the same screen garbage after launching Premiere.

No fix.

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Jul 7, 2015 at 9:59:35 pm

oh boy.. well I installed back to Mavericks and CUDA has been working just fine. However, i'm having audio issues with CC2015. Audio waveform in preview goes away to flat green. Audio track mute will not stay on no matter what I do, even disabling automation. I know this is outside this post but anyone else having these issues?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jul 7, 2015 at 10:37:40 pm

Hey Brian,

Have any of your attempts to rebuild your edit station(s) been total ground up reinstalls of everything, from the OS to the Nvidia drivers and Cuda first, then adding Adobe apps?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Jul 7, 2015 at 10:42:34 pm

Well, what I did was. I backed up the computer and did a clean install of Mavericks. Then I downloaded and installed Creative Cloud and other apps such as Video Copilot and Red Giant apps. Then recently, I upgraded to CC2015 and have been doing the corresponding updates with 3rd parties, etc.

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Jul 7, 2015 at 10:44:30 pm

actually david.. I can't remember if I installed CUDA first before Adobe. CUDA will only install up to version 6 I think it is.. on Mavericks. Should I have done something different? or different with Yosemite?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jul 7, 2015 at 11:15:16 pm

Well, while I have not been using my system for more than basic editing lately, it certainly seems to be functioning without any of the issues I keep reading about here, and that's on both Mavericks and Yosemite, with a GTX 680 Mac Edition and Cuda.

As I stated, I rebuilt from the ground up, in each case installing fresh downloads of the OS, updating those until I got the up to date message, then installing the latest Nvidia drivers and Cuda driver. Once everything was running perfectly, I then installed Adobe CC 2015, and it all seems happy as a clam.

I'll check audio track muting and soloing later today to see if those seem buggy, and I'll report back with the results. What else would you like me to check?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Jul 7, 2015 at 11:16:56 pm

Thanks so much David. Maybe I should do another install from the ground up installing CUDA before Adobe. Have you upgraded to CC2015 as of yet?

Telly Award Winning Editor and Motion Gfx Artist with MotionFoundry, Inc., Nashville, TN. Former Head of Post Production, Coca-Cola Studios Atlanta, GA.

Return to posts index

Bob Pierce
on Jul 9, 2015 at 10:59:55 am

I've recently wiped the hard drive of my late 2012 iMac with nvidia 680mx and rebuilt the system, including CC2015. After reinstalling Yosemite, CUDA is no longer there and Premiere now runs on OpenCL. I've been intensively editing with CC2014 (and a bit 2015) for about a week now and the old video distortion problem is gone.
Bob Pierce

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jul 9, 2015 at 3:50:43 pm

Hi Bob,

Of course Cuda isn't there, you have install the Cuda driver manually. So, all your experience tells us is that your previous installation had issues, and that you don't have those issues now, but it's impossible to infer anything else.

Now, if you were to clone the working boot drive, then try installing the latest Nvidia drivers and the Cuda driver, the results would be much more useful to all.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

Return to posts index

Forrest Fox
on Jul 21, 2015 at 3:01:26 pm
Last Edited By Forrest Fox on Jul 22, 2015 at 3:26:54 pm

My issues seem to vanish when I switch to the default Mac OS driver (little Nvidia button at the top lets me do this). CUDA still works. Excellent video performance remains.

2010 Mac Pro
GTX 680 mac

Forrest

Return to posts index

Jason Guerra
on Jul 21, 2015 at 4:45:22 pm

Can you be more specific about where the little NVIDIA button you're referring to is?

Return to posts index

Forrest Fox
on Jul 21, 2015 at 5:01:23 pm

Top of the desktop, along with the Adobe Cloud icon, dropbox, Time-machine, etc. I have a Nvidia Icon. "Graphics Drivers" drop-down.

It still acts up when Premiere is running and I open mail, etc. but it goes away immediately and I have zero trouble in Adobe applications.

Forrest

Return to posts index

Jason Guerra
on Jul 21, 2015 at 6:56:03 pm

Which version of CUDA are you running? I have never seen a Menu Bar option for NVIDA before.

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Jul 21, 2015 at 7:15:32 pm

I'm not seeing that either. is there a way to produce the icon in preferences?

Return to posts index

Forrest Fox
on Jul 22, 2015 at 2:46:27 am

Cuda 7.0.52

Do you have Nvidia driver manager installed? Is so, you can turn the menu bar option on and off in preferences.

The same option to switch drivers is on the first page of preferences,

Forrst

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Jul 22, 2015 at 1:30:17 pm

I'm only seeing Nvidia desktop management software on their site and in a google search. and it's only for windows. could you provide a link (if you know of one) to download "driver manager" ? thanks so much.

Brian

Return to posts index

Nick Spiropoulos
on Jul 22, 2015 at 1:35:46 pm

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx

Select your card type, OS. When I enter my info for my Mac's Quadro K5000, I would choose to search for the ODE Graphics Driver in the download type.

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Jul 22, 2015 at 1:41:19 pm

thanks I'm running the GTX 680MX and I don't think a driver manager exists for that card after searching. :-(

Return to posts index

Forrest Fox
on Jul 22, 2015 at 2:25:39 pm

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/84213/en-us

The most recent drivers come with it, apparently.

You don't see it in system settings?

Forrest

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Jul 22, 2015 at 2:33:12 pm

no I only have the CUDA screen in preferences showing current version and button to update if a newer version is available. sent a screen shot but not sure where it went...

Return to posts index

Forrest Fox
on Jul 22, 2015 at 3:27:53 pm

Must not be supported for mobile GPU. Bummer!

Return to posts index

Jason Guerra
on Jul 22, 2015 at 6:09:27 pm

Yeah, when I tried the driver you linked to on my laptop, it said computer not supported. The only item compatible is the CUDA for Mac driver. The highest version number for that is 7.0.36, which I tried when it first came out. It actually made the Premiere Pro video glitch worse. So I am going to continue to use OpenGL for now.

Return to posts index

Forrest Fox
on Jul 30, 2015 at 9:38:02 pm

New NVIDIA Driver 346.02.02f03 seems to have solved the problem for me. I'll let you know if it returns.

Forrest

Return to posts index

Greg Walton
on Aug 6, 2015 at 7:00:40 pm

Still happening for me on the latest driver download today. Glad I found you all. I was just about to drop my machine off at the Apple Store on Monday.

Return to posts index

Joe Rusnak
on Aug 7, 2015 at 2:49:07 am

Ever since I completely got rid of the CUDA drivers my Mac has had no issues. I recently had an email from Mac saying the 3TB Fusion drive is prone to failure and should be replaced under warranty. Seems as though iMacs still haven't been perfected. Pretty amazing they work at all considering what they packed in behind that monitor!

OpenCL for the win!
Joe

Return to posts index

Forrest Fox
on Aug 7, 2015 at 4:01:54 am

Mine is still doing it by the end of a long day. Not too bad though.

Return to posts index

Thomas Engelaer
on Aug 7, 2015 at 10:45:34 am

Hey

I tried the same thing as Forrest Fox. And for past 15 min everything worked very good and is still working.
Mine was crashing and glitching all the time.

If you go to system preferences and then Nvidia driver manager then under graphics drivers you can select OSX
default driver. Up until now its working for me so its good to try.

Thx Forrest Fox!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Aug 7, 2015 at 3:32:41 pm

[Thomas Engelaer] "If you go to system preferences and then Nvidia driver manager then under graphics drivers you can select OSX
default driver. Up until now its working for me so its good to try."

The default driver works Thomas, but you're not getting any GPU hardware acceleration.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions