ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

To Edit in Native A7 format or not?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fiona Fuchs
To Edit in Native A7 format or not?
on Dec 22, 2014 at 9:02:49 pm

I will come clean, although I am a subscribed cloud member, I have been clinging on the FCP7 for dear life. Now I have a project film on a7 native MP4 and the DIT transcoded to pro-res for me, but he put a temp LUT on there that burns out most of the image. SO - I tried opening the native in Premiere CC14, it seems like it will be fine, but it's a big production job, is it wise to go down this road? Or should I just convert to pro-res minus the LUT. Are there any issues I could run into? Thank you in advance.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: To Edit in Native A7 format or not?
on Dec 23, 2014 at 9:39:46 pm

Premiere is designed to edit formats natively, no need to transcode first. If you have an older (slower) computer, ProRes may be easier to edit than AVCHD, otherwise native should be fine.

Regarding the burned out image, just read something very interesting, not sure if it applies to your situation, but an interesting concept to try - http://www.eoshd.com/2012/07/mac-avchd-gamma-issues-the-fix/

Regards,

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Fiona Fuchs
on Dec 23, 2014 at 9:47:34 pm

Thanks for the response. I am nervous, but I am going to give it a go!

Cheers,

F

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Dec 23, 2014 at 9:53:02 pm

I should mention, you will want to have the entire original folder structure as it came from the SD card, not "just the video clips" of AVCHD. Then in Premiere, use the "Media Browser" to import rather than "File > Import". Media Browser can be found as a tab at lower left of Premiere interface usually. There are many benefits to using the Media Browser including seamless spanning of long clips, proper audio, etc.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Fiona Fuchs
on Dec 23, 2014 at 10:15:35 pm

Thanks for the info. I started editing the Pro_res in FCP though. It has many issues (the burnt out image from the LUT) and also resolve doesn't cope with that audio format so my transcoded files have no audio track. If I am to use Premiere, I will need to bring in 23 sequences from FCP via XML and then reconnect to the native. For me it's risky because I don't have a lot of time and I have mountains of rushes - but I think it's my best bet.

Will any of that change the way I import the footage?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]