ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Premiere Pro timeline hangs when trying to play

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mitch JordanPremiere Pro timeline hangs when trying to play
by on Dec 22, 2014 at 6:23:26 pm

I'm editing with the latest Premiere Pro CC2014 on a Mac running OS 10.9.5. I have an ongoing project that I need to update every week that involves hundreds of clips. I work for a sports franchise, so some of the clips are highlights of our team and others are highlights of our opponents. To save space, I store our best highlights of our opponents in a separate project and I only import clips of the opponents I need each week. My problem? When I open my project, Premiere Pro hangs on the timeline. I can move the cursor, but the video won't play or update. The only workaround is to hold down Shift+Option when I open the project, but I lose all my preferences. Adobe said I shouldn't update in the middle of a project, but this project is ongoing (plus the damage is done).

I've tried rebuilding the project from scratch with the new version of PP. I also rebuilt my project with our opponent's video, but I used Media Browser to import the clips. Apparently, doing that was enough for me to continue to have this problem. Does anyone have a solution? I think I'm deleting the plugin cache by holding down Option with Shift when I open the project. Do I need to remove a plugin? It's frustrating, because I lose my preferences every day. All my other projects open and edit fine.

Return to posts index

Dennis RadekeRe: Premiere Pro timeline hangs when trying to play
by on Dec 24, 2014 at 10:43:59 am

Hi Mitch,

Here's something you could try. With Premiere Pro CC 2014, you can use the Media Browser to look at Premiere Pro projects. In fact you can have as many Premiere Pro projects open at one time by using multiple media browsers and loading any sequences into the source view.

Using that idea, you can create a template project that has all of your clips, title slugs, bumpers, etc. and be able to grab the parts that you want easily and use them in a new project.

Other things to consider would be to update your graphics drivers, increase the RAM and delete your prefs as well as your media cache. I generally recommend at least 16GB of RAM and 32 or 64GB is not too much. If you're looking for more information, please post some specifics about the system that you're using.

Hope this helps and Merry Christmas,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved