ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

thinking to buy a new 15 inch retina display macbook pro for video editing and compositing... is it worth for it?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Uygar Erdim
thinking to buy a new 15 inch retina display macbook pro for video editing and compositing... is it worth for it?
on Dec 21, 2014 at 6:04:30 am
Last Edited By Uygar Erdim on Dec 21, 2014 at 6:08:32 am

Hi... I am a freelance filmmaker. Now I have 2008 model mac pro and I am thinking to buy a new macbook pro 15 inch retina display. Do you think its worth for it? I aim to use the macbook mainly for video editing (premiere pro), after effects and photoshop. My current old mac pro has 12 GB and the graphics card is ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256 MB (Yes I still use it). My main question is, do you think its better to move to macbook pro or upgrading the old one? Making it 32 GB of RAM and buy a new NVIDIA cuda capable graphic card? I dont have enough budget to make it together... Want to hear your suggestions...

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
Re: thinking to buy a new 15 inch retina display macbook pro for video editing and compositing... is it worth for it?
on Dec 21, 2014 at 11:40:11 am

Tough call, as both have their merits. A lot depends on what your budget is and if you care about the portability of a laptop overly much.

If given only those two options, I would lean towards the new MBP as it is just fun to have new stuff and it will certainly feel as fast as your current mac pro. Definitely get the max RAM (16GB) I think.

One option you didn't mention that would be worth your consideration is a new iMac. They are sweet machines, can display 5k resolutions and have much of the power the current Mac Pro.

Dennis - Adobe guy

Return to posts index

Nelson May
Re: thinking to buy a new 15 inch retina display macbook pro for video editing and compositing... is it worth for it?
on Dec 23, 2014 at 4:09:43 am

I just bought the juiced out MBP....2.5GHz, High end video card etc. This is also my first SSD. When I get everything loaded, including the adobe suite, I will try a few edits in Premier and see how they compare to my 2009 8 core Mac Pro.

I am going to assume that with the SSD alone, I am going to be able to edit 1080 pretty fast. I also expect it to be faster with AE CC.

MBP 2.4GHz 4MB RAM, 30"cine, MAC PRO 2.6 8 core 6GB RAM, Mbox, Neumann TLM-103, FCP HD 7. Pro Tools 8, Adobe Creative Suite, Reason 3.0, Macromedia Studio, ProAnimator, HVX200 with Firestore v4.0

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on Dec 27, 2014 at 3:52:45 pm

I've been editing with a 15" mbpr (early 2013) for a couple of years now and it works just fine. I use external thunderbolt storage and external usb3 cache drives and a thunderbolt monitor. I still prefer my late 2013 iMac with the same storage options though. IMac at home, MacBook at the office.

One big advantage of the iMac is you can't spill coffee on it. I'll be getting a new MacBook next week...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]