ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Premiere Sync Question

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lauren BeckPremiere Sync Question
by on Dec 20, 2014 at 10:19:51 pm

I'm working on a video for a composer. I used PluralEyes to sync the concert footage with a separate audio recording. PluralEyes didn't work for one of the pieces, so that one I synced by hand. I then edited the hand-synced footage using multi-cam editor and a nested sequence.

The client wasn't happy with my hand sync- it was ever so slightly off, so we met in person so she could advise me. We met at her university, and the version of Premiere on their machines couldn't open my project (missing sequence preset, I believe?) and so, long story short, I made a new sequence with the footage and audio in question, and the composer lined up the audio as she wanted it using audio time units in the timeline.

My question is: how can I correctly position the audio in my original sequence based on her adjustments, without losing the edits in my multicam sequence, color correction, rendering, etc.

Any advice would be very much appreciated. In and out points for the two sequences are not the same.

Return to posts index

Paul VoitierRe: Premiere Sync Question
by on Dec 21, 2014 at 12:21:11 am

If it's pretty close already, I'm thinking just match up the peaks in the Premiere Pro wave form. Make sure the sample rate is the same for both tracks (48k? 41k?) Hope I'm not over simplifying....

But before you do that, I would try re-syncing, but make sure each recording is on it's own separate track from any other tracks in the project. (I've been there - done that before; it works after you put them on unique tracks.)

Return to posts index

Lauren BeckRe: Premiere Sync Question
by on Dec 21, 2014 at 2:33:38 am

Thank you for the advice! Sample rate is the same, 48khz.
Video and audio from each of the two cameras used were on separate tracks when I tried to sync in Pluraleyes.
Trying to match up the peaks makes me nervous, because the version I synced myself looked perfect to me. It's a very minute difference, less than a frame, and I suppose only visible to a highly trained musician.
Is there a way to do this somehow using the timecode of the original video files?

Return to posts index

Paul VoitierRe: Premiere Sync Question
by on Dec 21, 2014 at 3:06:58 pm
Last Edited By Paul Voitier on Dec 21, 2014 at 3:07:38 pm

Could you share a screen shot of your wave form? What is your FPS rate? Are they the same? Curious - what was the distance of each camera from the sound source??

I'm on the same page with you about finely tuned musicians ears. It's possible that the internal clocks in the 2 cameras may be off (one slower than the other) - but that's a long shot. The only other thing I could think of is that Camera 2 is falling "between the cracks" of Camera 1. By that, assuming both were recorded at the same Frames Per Second, the peaks on Camera 2 are about 1/2 or 1/4 frame (or even smaller fraction) before or after the corresponding peak on Camera 1. Are their ears that good??

Just for good measure, please confirm that when you're syncing the 2 cameras in Premiere Pro, you're selecting "Audio" for your sync point.

Here's an example of what I describe as "falling between the cracks" (below). I listened/watched it after syncing - knowing what I was looking for - and simply could NOT tell any variance. In the example pic, that's maybe 1/8 of 1 frame difference (??) By my calculation, that's 0.00416667 of 1 second. I hereby declare that Imperceptible!!

I'b be happy to run it through my setup if we can figure out a way to send sample files.

Return to posts index

Eric SantiagoRe: Premiere Sync Question
by on Dec 22, 2014 at 4:43:44 pm

Is this the only option for Premiere Pro CC 2014?

I had to check in due to others asking where it is.

I've never had to do this in Premiere and wondering what other options for using Audio as sync option.

Plural Eyes dont work for me since Im dealing with R3D files.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved