ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Wrong way Arabic

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
david bramanWrong way Arabic
by on Dec 19, 2014 at 5:20:49 pm

We're doing some open captioned versions of a video we produced. One of the languages is Arabic. We have a translation, but when we copy and paste into Premiere's titler the order of the characters are reversed. It's not that they're flipped, but just in the reverse order. I know that Arabic, like Hebrew reads from right to left, but its like Premiere doesn't and insists on fixing it for us. Thank you :(

I can get the order right if I reverse the kerning, but the spacing is all screwed up after that and it's a painstaking process to get it right after that. Anyone have any ideas what's going on and how to fix it. Thanks

Return to posts index

Chris WalshRe: Wrong way Arabic
by on Dec 19, 2014 at 11:32:03 pm

I had the same problem recently (fortunately just an Arabic lower third). I tried installing different fonts to no avail. Text was reversed, some characters missing etc. Photoshop was no better than Premiere.

My solution, which would be too complicated for a whole captioning job, was to import text in MS word, copy and paste into MS Powerpoint, then copy from PPT into photoshop as a vector object.

Once it was a vector object I no longer had to worry about how the text characters were misinterpreted and could size and place it wherever I wanted.

Chris Walsh
Silver Spring, MD
Premiere Pro CC, FC7 & AVID
Former Windows diehard and edit*or

Return to posts index

Tim KolbRe: Wrong way Arabic
by on Dec 30, 2014 at 4:40:49 pm

Proper language interpretation is tied to the OS, not Premiere Pro.

If the OS is set for Hebrew or Arabic, the character engine will work accordingly in all applications.

Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Adobe Certified Instructor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved