ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Wavy video export in Premiere Pro

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Danielle StewartWavy video export in Premiere Pro
by on Dec 18, 2014 at 6:38:35 pm
Last Edited By Danielle Stewart on Dec 18, 2014 at 6:52:51 pm

I've exported a video within Premiere Pro & certain areas of the video produce wavy lines or it comes out distorted. What could be the cause of this and how can this be fixed?

See below for an example.

Exported Video:

Same clip within Premiere Pro:

Return to posts index

Shane RossRe: Wavy video export in Premiere Pro
by on Dec 18, 2014 at 7:15:06 pm

That's called INTERLACING...two fields per frame instead of one full progressive frame. This is a very tpyical format. When you shoot in the 1080i format, you see those lines. Now, premiere Pro will only display one field when editing...and when you watch this on a TV, you won't see them, the video will look smooth. Because TVs are designed to show interlacing.

Computer displays are not. Anything shot for the web, or to be displayed on the computer in any way, needs to be progressive. SHoot progressive if you can, but if you have already shot interlaced, then you need to deinterlace the footage. Or export a Progressive version of the project...there's options for this in Media Encoder.

Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Danielle StewartRe: Wavy video export in Premiere Pro
by on Dec 18, 2014 at 10:10:00 pm

Thank you, I'm creating a video montage and all the clips were shot 1080i. How is it that only 2 or 3 of the clips exported wavy?

How do I export a progressive version of the project?

Return to posts index

Todd PerchertRe: Wavy video export in Premiere Pro
by on Dec 18, 2014 at 11:34:42 pm

When you send your project to Media Encoder to render, you can go into the video settings and select field order - Lower, Upper, or Progressive. You will want Progressive. Also, if only two clips are giving you issues in PPro, in your sequence you can right click the clip and select Field Options and select to deinterlace. I've had issues before with scaling interlaced footage and just had to deinterlace it in the sequence timeline.
Good Luck!

Return to posts index

Jeff PuleraRe: Wavy video export in Premiere Pro
by on Dec 19, 2014 at 3:26:04 pm

Hi Danielle,

One possible reason that some clips are not wavy is perhaps there is no camera motion? Interlacing doesn't always rear its ugly head until there is some movement of the camera or the talent.

When you choose an H.264 export preset, just look for something with a "p" at the end - 1080p, 720p, etc. and those are progressive and will result in a deinterlaced output that should play fine on computers. I've never had to deinterlace a clip on the actual timeline, exports of 1080i source to a progressive output format always just work.

How do you want to use the exported file? If we know your workflow, we may be able to suggest a certain format or preset that will work best for your needs.

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved