ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Audio tricks for video editors?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zopiro da TraciaAudio tricks for video editors?
by on Dec 17, 2014 at 4:14:56 pm

I'm a somewhat experienced video editor who has at most of my career had an audio guy nearby to work on sound design, effects and cleanup.

For some freelance projects, however, there's nobody to do that. I occasionally have to remove some noise, compress interview audio and voiceovers, and mixdown voice with music in a way that doesn't suck. And mostly, it has been sucking. A lot.

Are there any good books or tutorials out there that teach a video editor like myself some good audio tricks in order to accomplish semi-professional results?

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Audio tricks for video editors?
by on Dec 17, 2014 at 4:42:53 pm

do you want technical tricks or aesthetic tricks? I've accumulated a few, no book though. Honestly, the most experienced mixers have a pro tools background because they have been doing it for 20 years or more. The most common theme is complex, multiple sources to create sounds that don't sound like something you've heard before.

And cleaning, repairing are changing everyday with plugins more and more sophisticated and expensive.
best advice so far, mix to the destination. bluray, web, headphones, dolby 6.1 with a calibrated soundproof studio.

some books.

here's my post how I get things done. It has a sub-post.

Return to posts index

Zopiro da TraciaRe: Audio tricks for video editors?
by on Dec 17, 2014 at 4:55:12 pm

I was thinking more on the lines of how to do a proper mix on Final Cut or Premiere.

My work is mostly interviews, talking heads, and music as a background. Occasionally there are some sound effects. My most common challenge is removing background chatter from interviews that had audio captured with boom mikes. Usually it's good-leveled audio, but there's chatter and here and there a police siren, a phone rings, etc.

I don't know what are the guidelines for levelling audio, at what -dB level the voice should be and the music should be, etc. I probably won't find the time to buy an interface and learn Pro Tools, but I would love a tutorial on how to use Audio Compression, Peak Limiters, on the difference between Volume and Gain and when to use each one, on Audio Normalize, dB meters, how to use them, etc etc etc!

Do you think that book could help?

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Audio tricks for video editors?
by on Dec 17, 2014 at 10:07:46 pm
Last Edited By Chris Wright on Dec 18, 2014 at 12:50:51 am

sounds like you should focus on broadcast specs ebu and ITU-R

if you don't want pro-tools, I'd recommend adobe audition, not only is it integrated heavily into adobe products, it has many nice denoising features which you can youtube on endlessly.

like I said before, the final medium determines the level. Here's really excellent technical outlines from the audio gods.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved