ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Premiere Pro doesn't recognise multi channel audio

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Colin O'H
Premiere Pro doesn't recognise multi channel audio
on Dec 10, 2014 at 3:12:14 am

First post to a forum where I've found so much useful info.
Im using a Hauppauge HDPVR to capture video gameplay and the bundled software has the ability to record multiple audio tracks e.g. the video input, a mic input for commentary.
When i drag and drop the files created from recording the gameplay into sony vegas i get three tracks, video, audio and mic audio so i can adjust the levels independently.
Thats great and all but I hate Vegas and i much prefer and know my way around premiere pro cs6.
I cant for the life of me figure out how to produce the same result in Premiere where i have the audio tracks separate.
any idea about how to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Chris Paul
Re: Premiere Pro doesn't recognise multi channel audio
on Dec 10, 2014 at 7:47:06 pm

Right click the source clip. Select "modify clip". Change the audio channels to be 2 tracks, mono.

Chris Paul
POV

Return to posts index

Colin O'H
on Dec 11, 2014 at 4:48:03 pm

Hi, thanks for the reply.
That solution didn't work for me. All that happened was that I got two tracks with the same audio on each. Both tracks had the audio from the video and not the audio from the second source on a separate track.

I've tried searching for info about multi track audio for premiere pro but I can't find anything even close to what I'm looking for. Maybe I'm searching for the wrong terms.

What is the correct term for a video file with multiple audio tracks attached?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Return to posts index

Merlin Vandenbossche
on Dec 11, 2014 at 5:19:24 pm

Colin,

Under the preferences for audio you can change the way Premiere imports audio by default: under the tab 'Audio', change the 'Default Audio tracks' for stereo and/or multichannel to 'Mono" instead of "use file" or "stereo"; and then try re-importing the clips. Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Colin O'H
on Dec 11, 2014 at 10:12:06 pm

Hi Merlin

Thanks for the response but this didnt solve the problem.
All that happens is i get two mono tracks of the video audio and no mic audio.
The files are MPEG-TS or filename.ts

Bellow are some screen shots of the audio settings in Premiere Pro and how the timeline appears in Premiere and Vegas
The tracks in vegas are video, video audio, mic audio and PC audio.
the mic and PC audio in vegas are empty because they weren't making noise in the sample clip.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b5zvypsid0shg3k/Screen%20Shot%202014-12-11%20at%2...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/r6izag9fibthkg9/Screen%20Shot%202014-12-11%20at%2...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p2aj4ewpv2hc270/vegas.PNG?dl=0

Return to posts index

Merlin Vandenbossche
on Dec 12, 2014 at 5:27:53 pm

I'm not familiar with either Vegas or MPEG-TS files. Maybe the extra audio tracks are from separate streams in the MPEG, maybe a tool like MPEG-streamclip allows you to decode those tracks into regular AIFF/WAV? Just thinking out loud.

The above solution I mentioned works for me when I come across audio recordings or videoclips that have multiple audio channels that I need to have separate.

Return to posts index

Colin O'H
on Dec 18, 2014 at 5:31:24 pm

thanks for the help.
that program didnt seem to work for me either

The only solution I can do right now is export the audio track I need with Vegas and then add the track as an audio file to PremierePro.
It's a bit of a pain as its adding extra steps that id just rather not have to do but I'm a bit stuck now.

Return to posts index

Colin O'H
on Feb 4, 2015 at 10:35:07 am

Well once my sony vegas trial ran out I found the solution and it was totally stupid of me not to spot.
I updated to Premiere Pro cc 2014.0.1 from 2014.0.0
I was using a trial of Sony Vegas to export the missing audio file and the extra steps, while only adding about 10 minutes to my workflow, were a pain in the behind.
Once I updated it was working fine for me.
My files were in either .m2ts or .ts formats of gaming footage recorded in the Hauppauge HD PDR 2

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]