ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Newbie advice needed: proper presets/sequence settings for AVI files.

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anne Thompson
Newbie advice needed: proper presets/sequence settings for AVI files.
on Dec 8, 2014 at 4:11:58 am

I am editing AVI files from an older flip camer (non-HD) in Premiere Pro CS5.5 This is my first time using premiere. I'm using an older mac. My final video will be viewed mostly online/YouTube and doesn't need to be cinema-quality, but should look professional.

When I open a new project, what settings should I use in my presets/sequences to match the AVI files. Right now I can play them, but when I add them to the timeline they become very choppy. From what I understand, AVI files don't need to be rendered in Premiere. So why are they choppy?

The AVI files I have are as follows:
640x480 bit rate 41845
Bit Rate: 3.28 Mbps
Video Tracks:
Xvid, 640 × 480, 30 fps, 3.10 Mbps
Audio Tracks:
MS ADPCM mono, 44.1 kHz, 177 kbps

Thank you very much for your help!!!

Return to posts index

Jon Doughtie
Re: Newbie advice needed: proper presets/sequence settings for AVI files.
on Dec 8, 2014 at 3:36:44 pm

HI there. Tell us more about the Mac you are using, including video card specifications, RAM, OS, etc. Also, your hard drive situation, where media is stored, etc.

Return to posts index

Anne Thompson
on Dec 9, 2014 at 4:49:22 am

That might be the problem, I am working on a older mac osx 10.6.8, 2.4 ghz core 2 duo, 4gb ram, no external hard drive, everything stored on the computer's drive. I know I need better equipment soon :) But is this the cause of my choppy playback or can I adjust my settings in premiere in some way to fix it?

I am working with AVI files and I have a choice btw premiere and fcp 7. I was leaning towards FCP but have to convert everything to much larger files that will work natively in FCp (with smooth playback though). I was told that Premiere could work with avi files without having to convert them, but when I tried it out I got this choppy playback issue.

Besides buying a new computer, better camcorder, and a few hard drives, what's the solution with my current setup? :)
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
on Dec 9, 2014 at 3:09:16 pm

After importing your AVI files to the project panel…

if you can preview them ok in the source viewer...

back int he project panel, you might try dragging one of them over the new sequence icon at the bottom of the panel.

this should allow PPro should create a sequence that matches the clip's attributes.

hth,

Alex Udell
Editing, Motion Graphics, and Visual FX

Return to posts index

Anne Thompson
on Dec 9, 2014 at 10:57:52 pm

thank you Alex I will try that!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]