ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Do you find Premiere Pro Unreliable?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lance MoodyDo you find Premiere Pro Unreliable?
by on Dec 4, 2014 at 9:14:43 pm
Last Edited By Lance Moody on Dec 4, 2014 at 9:15:46 pm

Hi There,

Was wanting to hear from other working editors as to whether or not you have found PP to be much more unreliable since the October updates?

My experience is that, while I can usually get things done, I often see weird behavior from PP.

Here is an example:

As you see, A1 shows up as locked (hash marks over track) but the lock button shows it to be unlocked.

I see these kinds of poor fit and finish issues all the time. While the above is somewhat cosmetic, I think it shows a deeper issue: PP has some real shortfalls in regards to quality.

I find the dynamic link to AE functionality to be the most problematic--essentially like editing Russian Roulette.

At its worst the app locks up and has to be rebooted. At its best, it works without issues.

So anyway, just wondering if your experiences are similar or different.

Return to posts index

Jake AbramsonRe: Do you find Premiere Pro Unreliable?
by on Dec 5, 2014 at 9:51:34 pm

I wouldn't say more unreliable, just some existing issues have stuck around (audio dropping while playing, video patching quirks). I wouldn't say that I've noticed any new issues and the new features help to offset some of the existing features.

My bigger gripe is when they do actually fix something with a new release but don't mention it. Suddenly I'm finding a different work-flow (good and bad), or a work-around no longer works because the root issue was resolved.

Return to posts index

David MarkeyRe: Do you find Premiere Pro Unreliable?
by on Dec 5, 2014 at 11:42:59 pm

Hey Lance,

My experience matches Jake's. Premiere has never been as reliable as other NLE's for me. Dynamic Link especially can be suicidal. Would be awesome if it worked as advertised (recently discovered the Render and Replace command under Clip. This supposedly takes some of the pain out of Dynamic Linking. We shall see).

I haven't noticed much change recently. If anything, I might notice some improvement... or maybe I'm just getting better at avoiding the functions that make it unhappy.

PS: Did you used to work in Cincinnati? I think we crossed paths at Hallau Shoots or Red a time or two.

Return to posts index

Lance MoodyRe: Do you find Premiere Pro Unreliable?
by on Dec 6, 2014 at 12:09:53 am

Hi David,

Yes, I still work out of Cincinnati. Thanks for the reply!

In general I like PP but if it locks up or act strangely, it is common enough that I am not surprised.

Personally, I have no interest in many of the features that are being added to PP--things like tracking and so forth that are better done in other apps.

I would give up a lot of features in order to get bullet proof performance.

As of now, PP reminds me of the early days of FCP (although PP still seems a bit more unreliable to me).

Return to posts index

Ken MitchellRe: Do you find Premiere Pro Unreliable?
by on Dec 8, 2014 at 2:41:26 pm

I have had pretty good luck with Premiere Pro CS6 but using audio filters in the mixer section will usually crash my version of Premiere.

Return to posts index

James AshboltRe: Do you find Premiere Pro Unreliable?
by on Dec 10, 2014 at 3:22:16 am

Very much so.

Audio playback often stops when playing edits to clients.
Unknown errors popping up when rendering and/or exporting
Constant crashing when closing source sequences.
Red frames seen in playback and exports.
Dynamic Link often freezes whole computer.

The list goes on..
BUT I'll still use it because it takes all formats, is fast and is very compatible.
- J

Return to posts index

Grzegorz KwiatkowskiRe: Do you find Premiere Pro Unreliable?
by on Dec 11, 2014 at 3:46:33 am

I was writting about it in my previous thread. The flickering problem is just unbelievable. Many users have this issue. It wasnt there in CS6. CC2014 is just unusable for proffessional work

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved