ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Creative Cloud Debate

Adobe - Please us the ability to have multiple projects open at one time (as done in FCP)

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryce Hoover
Adobe - Please us the ability to have multiple projects open at one time (as done in FCP)
on Dec 3, 2014 at 4:06:23 pm

Adobe,
I don't know if you read these forums.
I have requested this feature be added through the Feature Request portal on your website.
I also request it here, for the benefit of others, and for additional exposure, and because I'm desperate.

PLEASE give me (and the collective ME) the ability to have multiple projects open at the same time.

For the last 9 years, I've been editing on FCP. Before that it was only Avid. One of the features that I quickly embraced and loved about FCP was the ability to have multiple projects open at the same time, move between them, make changes to each one and save them all.

In my current job, I finish promos for a cable network. There are 9 producer/editors that all send their projects to me to color correct, add graphics, send to audio, fix technical issues, export, etc. Once they "send" it to me, they don't touch it again until there's a revision at a later date (i.e. schedule change). I normally work on between 3 (on a slow day) and 10 (on a busy day) projects every day. Some are single :10 spots, some are multiple :10 :20, and:30 spots in a project. I have a project template that I also use and leave up all day.

At any given time, these multiple projects are at different stages of finishing. Some are finished except for final audio mix, some are color corrected but need additional graphics and to be sent to audio, some are totally finished and waiting for final approval viewing before export, you get the idea. When I get the audio back, I drag it in (or import it) to the project, add it to the timeline, lock tracks, then go back to what I was working on (in a different project) until the approval person is ready to view the finished spot(s). When approval time comes, I go through many projects, hoping from one to the other with a click of the sequence tab. It's fast and efficient. If there's a small change, I make it on the spot, save, then move to the next sequence from a different project. After approval, I export all of the approved and post on the traffic FTP server. That's basically the workflow that we've established and it works like a well oiled machine. All of that to help make my case for why I need the ability to have multiple projects open at the same time.

We're still editing on FCP but are headed to CC very shortly. I dread the day we're completely CC because of the added steps and time and frustration that comes with going back to the old Avid way of working in different projects, it's incredibly inefficient.

Adobe, you've taken most of the good things about FCP and made them better in your current product.
Why did you leave out the ability to have multiple projects open at one time?

All of the work arounds I've seen just create more steps, more work, and make things way more complicated.
Importing sequences into an approval project will not work because I'm often asked to make changes on the spot. Those changes won't update in the main project because I'm in an approval project. This creates another sequence to manage and reimport back into it's main project, and doing this for 3-10 projects is just insane and unnecessary.

Opening multiple instances of PP, one for each project, seems like it would tax the system resources and hardware beyond what it can handle for realtime playback without glitching. Plus, I'm not sure the Kona 3 would know what to do with 8 copies of PP open at one time.

I hope this all makes since and effectively get's my point across.

Fellow editors, please don't tell me that I don't need or shouldn't have multiple projects open at one time.
That's not constructive and doesn't help.
Each workflow is unique and the workflow we have works and works well.
I do need this ability and telling me I shouldn't work this way just exposes ignorance and arrogance on your part and nobody wants that.
My workflow doesn't involve sharing projects. It's more of a hand-off workflow.
Once I have a project, it's totally mine.

-bh

Return to posts index

Scott Davis
Re: Adobe - Please us the ability to have multiple projects open at one time (as done in FCP)
on Dec 3, 2014 at 4:33:02 pm

Bryce, check out this link https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/how-to/reuse-clips-multiple-projects.h...

It might be what you are looking for.

Scott Davis
View Scott Davis's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Bryce Hoover
Re: Adobe - Please us the ability to have multiple projects open at one time (as done in FCP)
on Dec 3, 2014 at 4:51:15 pm

Scott,
I was hopeful as I watched.
However... that work around doesn't allow for changes to the second project sequence that I've opened in the Media Browser, it's read-only and it's only viewable in the source window (which I'm guessing won't play out on the Kona? - not really sure about that part). This work around allows "access to content without risking modifying it".

What I'm asking for is unlimited access and modification ability to multiple projects at the same time, so if I need to add audio to project A then go back to work on project B, then show the approving producer project C, make a few frame adjustments to project C as requested, then go back to project B, I can do all of this by clicking the sequences that I have open (from project A, B, and C, all different projects), and not have to close project A, to work on B, then close B to add audio to A, then close A to go back to B, then approving producer calls and wants to see C, close B, open C, make edits, close C, open B continue working, etc. (all day long) It's like my kid who's going in and out, in and out, in and out of the back door, and each time he goes in and out, the screen door slams shut, WHACK!

-bh

Return to posts index

jerry wise
on Dec 3, 2014 at 6:18:42 pm

I agree. I do the same workflow. working on project A....open B to change a text and output an mp4 for client approval...go back to project A....etc. all day long.

another thing that irks me...in fcp7 you can import clips etc. to the browser..use them in your project...toss them away and keep a clean work area and still they are linked to your timeline..premiere cant do that. if you toss away your clips the link is lost to your timeline.

there's a lot to be done to make premiere more editor friendly.
just saying....

Return to posts index

Mitch Jordan
on Dec 3, 2014 at 6:27:35 pm

I agree. Often, I have our CEO bop in to approve a spot and he doesn't like to wait while Premiere loads the project and all the clips. However, if I leave the spot up, he may not come in for hours and I can't do anything else. In FCP 7, I just left that project open in the background.

Return to posts index

Bryce Hoover
on Dec 3, 2014 at 6:28:33 pm

Glad I'm not alone. That's exactly the situation I'm talking about.

-bh

Return to posts index

Bryce Hoover
on Dec 3, 2014 at 6:27:51 pm

YES!! 1000x YES! on the tossing of clips.
That drives me nuts too!

-bh

Return to posts index

jerry wise
on Dec 3, 2014 at 9:22:47 pm

don't get me started...there are tons of other things they need to do to make premiere a world class editing system.
like...put crop in the motion tab...like fcp7.
make adjusting audio levels easier..like 7.
make track matte key track or not track with a button click. like 7.
make the cursor skinnier. it's too fat.
make track height smaller. (I use 30 to 40 tracks..the smaller the better.)
make a dissolve or wipe able to be dragged to other clips.
make a dissolve at the end of a clip centered or start or end..like 7
make page turn effect better..it's cheap looking. I use page turns all the time...had to buy Boris to get a great page turn.
improve wipes.
spend a little time and money giving the many editors transitioning to premiere some better tools.

I will have to say that the ultra key is pretty good.

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Dec 3, 2014 at 11:32:30 pm
Last Edited By Kevin Monahan on Dec 3, 2014 at 11:33:24 pm

Hi Jerry,

[jerry wise] "spend a little time and money giving the many editors transitioning to premiere some better tools."

We've done a lot of that. I'm sorry you have not noticed.

You know, we can't make Premiere Pro into FCP 7 in every instance (nor would you want to). You have to take into consideration the existing architecture of Premiere Pro, for example.

There are also a ton of things that Premiere Pro does a whole lot better than FCP 7.

That said, some of your suggestions are valid. However, the only way the team will ever get these suggestions is by filing a feature request here: http://adobe.ly/feature_request

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Support Product Manager—DVA
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Dec 3, 2014 at 8:41:22 pm

Hello Bryce,

[Bryce Hoover] "However... that work around doesn't allow for changes to the second project sequence that I've opened in the Media Browser, it's read-only and it's only viewable in the source window"

Yes, that's correct.

It sounds like if you did have access to write changes to that sequence from the editor's project (perhaps through a lock and unlock mechanism), then what you want do might work out for you. I hope that's the way you worded your feature request.

"Make it open more than one project just like FCP" probably won't be as helpful as you have to take into consideration how Premiere Pro is approaching the issue so far. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Bryce Hoover
on Dec 4, 2014 at 3:07:40 pm

Kevin,

"read-only and it's only viewable in the source window"
Yes, that's correct. "

thanks for clarifying.

"It sounds like if you did have access to write changes to that sequence from the editor's project (perhaps through a lock and unlock mechanism), then what you want do might work out for you"
I'm not sure how I worded the request, though I did try to refrain from saying something to the effect of please clone FCP, but it's really hard to describe a function that didn't exist until FCP without mentioning FCP...
I simply want the ability to have several projects open, with all the abilities that are native to having just one open (i.e. full access read/write). This ability didn't exist in Avid-land or in any other NLE (as far as I know). FCP opened the door to it and what a revolution it's been to my workflow and to many of us.

"take into consideration how Premiere Pro is approaching the issue so far."
I have taken this into consideration, that's why I'm asking for this feature. The approach, as it is now, is handicapping to many. It's taking an ability that many of us moving to PP rely on, and telling us we can't have it. I'm unclear on the approach Adobe is taking, is it one of safety at the expense of functionality?
Protecting projects while limiting workflows and degrading productivity?

To me, protecting the integrity of a project is the job of whomever designs the individual workflow for each situation. I can say that because we've done it and we've not had a single issue in 5 years, with 2 finishing editors and 9 producer/editors all slinging stuff around. It seems Adobe is wanting to protect our projects, which I can appreciate, but it's very limiting and burdensome to open and close, open and close, open and close, open and close, open and close, all day, every day.

So far, I'm happy with PP CC, with the exception being this HUGE sink hole we've been discussing.

-bh

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Dec 5, 2014 at 7:44:09 pm

Hi Bryce,
Thanks for the reply. I do think your request is a reasonable one. Many others have requested project sharing features, as well. I will continue to advocate for continued flexibility in project sharing in Premiere Pro.

I don't think the bright minds on the Premiere Pro team are done yet in this regard, but sorry that the application is currently not quite suited for your workflow needs.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Bryce Hoover
on Dec 5, 2014 at 7:46:25 pm

Kevin,
thanks for your input, ideas, and for advocating for us!

-bh

Return to posts index

David Markey
on Dec 5, 2014 at 11:54:18 pm

Hey Guys,

There's a hack to open multiple instances of Premiere. These instructions are for AE, but it also works in PP: http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20060713094900651

The file you're looking to make an alias of is /Applications/Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2014/Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2014.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2014

Then you can Cmd-Tab between two (or three or however many) projects. It's an off-label use, so proceed with caution. I haven't had any issues though.

Return to posts index

Max Frank
on Dec 7, 2014 at 2:05:20 pm

David,

That is amazing! Exactly what I was hoping for! Thank you.
Bryce, I'm with you Buddy!

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Dec 7, 2014 at 2:13:45 pm

Once you adapt to the workflow of CC, you won't need to worry about multiple projects open at the same time. We used FCP for 11 years and multiple project workflow was a big part of our workflow for the final 3 years.

However 2 years into CC, we don't miss that feature since we can browse through template projects and any other projects to simply move elements from one project to another.

There are other ways to work. What worked in FCP was nice, but trying to make CC completely like FCP completely misses the point that there's more than one way to work. Yeah your workflow is going to change. Our 11 years of workflow changed drastically when we jumped to CS6. But with all the improvements Adobe has made in the past 2 years, having two projects open at the same time is no longer on our list of improvements we want from Adobe. The only people I really see who continue to ask for that feature are either just newly transitioned from FCP to Adobe or about to make that move.

It's not a show stopper feature by any means.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Craft and Career Advice & Training from real Working Creative Professionals

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Bryce Hoover
on Dec 8, 2014 at 3:37:35 pm

I'm very interested in any suggestions on how to accomplish what I'm asking for with the PP workflow.
What is the Premiere way of handling approvals for 8 different projects, while working on 2 others, all at the same time? Seems to me the only option there is, is to shut down each one and open the next, 8 times.
I need the ability to show a timeline of promos to an approving producer, make a few changes if asked while they watch, then move on to the next. For me, and others who are requesting the ability to have multiple projects open at one time, it's not about copying elements from one project to another to reuse them, it's about workflow efficiency and speed of moving from project to project. The less time I spend getting in and out of a project, the more time I can be editing and that keeps my clients happy.

"trying to make CC completely like FCP completely misses the point that there's more than one way to work. "

I'm not opposed to discovering new ways to work, but it seems like Adobe is taking a page out of the Apple book when Apple tried to push FCP X on us... FCP X was their "different way to work". Some adopted the new Apple way, but I'd say the vast majority of facilities and shops with multiple editors did not.
I guess I'm just not understanding what is wrong with having several projects open at one time. It works. If it doesn't work for others, then don't do it, but for those of us that use that workflow, why not allow us to continue? (unless the point is to make PP different from FCP and that's the only reason)

"having two projects open at the same time is no longer on our list of improvements we want from Adobe. The only people I really see who continue to ask for that feature are either just newly transitioned from FCP to Adobe or about to make that move. "

You're probably right about those asking for the multiple project ability.
To me, it seems like this feature should be a standard feature not one we need to request and beg for.
Help me understand the benefits of not having the ability to have multiple projects open at one time in a non-shared workflow environment (meaning only one person working on a project at a time).
I can understand the benefits when there's multiple people on multiple projects and how messy that can get, but that's a project management/workflow/SOP issue, not an issue software should take responsibility for.

I wouldn't call it a show stopper either. I'd equate it to having speed bumps in the road every 50 feet, or red lights every 50 feet... stop and go, stop and go, stop and go.... rather than having speed bump or red light every 2-5 miles.

-bh

Return to posts index

Jon Collins
on Mar 23, 2015 at 10:08:40 am

A little late to the party on this one but... The Media Browser import sequence feature is great, but sometimes you don't want to bog down a project by importing an entire sequence into it. I've just written a quick tutorial on how to run multiple Premiere Pro projects at one time, from one click on the dock.

Jon Collins
Director // Editor // Motion Graphics

Return to posts index

Scott Tiner
on Jul 14, 2016 at 5:51:57 pm

I'd like to run multiple instances on Windows. What would be the equivalent? I'm looking in C: > Program Files > Adobe > Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2015.3.

Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2015 on Windows

Return to posts index

Monia Pul
on Jul 15, 2016 at 12:32:20 pm

Yes! Couldn't agree more! Opening multiple projects would be a great feature and would speed up my workflow!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]