ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Avid AAF to Premiere Pro

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott DavisAvid AAF to Premiere Pro
by on Dec 2, 2014 at 8:11:18 pm

Mac Book Pro
OS 10.10.1
Avid 8.2
Premiere Pro 8.1
Media on CalDigit AV Drive connected via USB3

I have a sequence in Avid that I want to move over to Premiere Pro. I select the sequence, export the AAF (link media) and when I try to import into PP; PP just hangs eventually having to be force quit. I've tried removing all the effects; but still doesn't work.

Has anyone successfully sent an AAF to PP? If so how?

Scott Davis
View Scott Davis's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Shane RossRe: Avid AAF to Premiere Pro
by on Dec 2, 2014 at 11:56:06 pm

Well, I just exported an AAF for XML using these settings. The only issue I had is that the XDCAM MXF files didn't link up. All the Avid Media transcoded files did...

I might transcode now to see if that works.

Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Scott DavisRe: Avid AAF to Premiere Pro
by on Dec 3, 2014 at 2:10:28 am

Hey Shane, Those are the same settings as I am using. I started experimenting and I was able to successfully send a sequence with one clip in it to Premiere. The much more complex sequence that I want to send to Premiere is still not working. My drive is doing something though. I hear it working; nothing happens in Premiere till it locks up.

Scott Davis
View Scott Davis's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Rupert SansomRe: Avid AAF to Premiere Pro
by on Apr 1, 2015 at 1:26:13 pm

Hi Scott,

Did you find a solution?
I'm having very similar issues with importing AAF file to Premiere Pro cc 2014.

When I import a small AAF file Premiere doesn't link the media correctly.
If I try to import large AAF (44MB) Premiere crashes... any ideas?

Return to posts index

Ht DavisRe: Avid AAF to Premiere Pro
by on Apr 6, 2015 at 4:47:06 am

Have you tried exporting to another program format?
IE, export for FCP7 xml? Export to ODF?

Relinking the media isn't a big issue... ...Just inconvenient as hell. I get that. But to crash the program, there would have to be a fault in the file somewhere...

Check your media files for audio WAV's or other PCM's. IF there are any nonstandard file-sizes (4gb max for many audio only formats, 2gb for some), Premiere won't play well with it. The same is true for any nonstandard transport stream files (more than 4gb is a no-no).
Also, check the drive for errors. Any read errors will jam up your premiere. Make sure the drive is formatted the same as your system (permissions issues can occur with some cache files). Make sure any cacheing in premiere is set to be on your main drive, preferably in the default location (this has caused issues for me in plenty of situations). Also don't allow it to place cache copies next to originals if the originals reside on a non-file-system match (ie, if the external drive doesn't match your OS file-system).
Make sure any effects or plugs from Avid match those in premiere or are removed completely. Make sure your audio is 48-96k audio and that none of it (in it's own file) is greater than 4gb.

Return to posts index

Anthony BernardRe: Avid AAF to Premiere Pro
by on Jun 3, 2015 at 5:33:46 pm

I got an AAF from a post house that has everything embedded. When I import it into premiere it pulls everything in ok. The sequence has all the edits, but it's all offline. When pulls up the link media window it's looking for the aaf I just imported, but when I point it to it it says "File format not supported". Any suggestions on how to get it to link up properly?

Return to posts index

Anthony BernardRe: Avid AAF to Premiere Pro
by on Jun 3, 2015 at 7:25:29 pm

Spoke to Adobe. Premiere CC apparently doesn't support linking media to an embedded aaf file. Not sure if this will ever be supported or even if it's possible to link to the embedded media in the aaf. Just incase anyone else is scratching their head on this one.

Return to posts index

Ht DavisRe: Avid AAF to Premiere Pro
by on Jul 2, 2015 at 10:23:55 pm

You can import the sequence itself into premiere. The media is all offline, that means that you need to relink each media file to a corresponding file. Each clip should have it's own file that you link it too. While adobe doesn't natively support the import of the lastest AAF, you can import older AAF files, and then relink all the media. The AAF only brings in the REFERENCES, so you can see the references in the project, but you still need to tell premiere what they refer to. A clip does not refer to an AAF. It needs to point to a particular file. If these clips are all the same file but different sections of it, you may be stuck for the moment. Ask for renders of the clips and you'll be set. They don't have to be high quality while editing, so you can get low res and make any adjustments, then get the hi-res later for rendering a final output. If the media files are offline, they need to be relinked to their mov, mp4, fla, mp2 or other type of media file. An AAF is a scripting file similar to XML that outlines the sequence and references the media files; if your system doesn't have them in the same exact location (or doesn't have them at all), you won't be able to link the files in premiere. Get the clips separate from the AAF, use the AAF to have the sequence and references import, then relink each file. If you have hundreds of files, it will take a while. You could try adding a folder called MEDIA, import the actual clips into it (not the offline ones but import new so they are online) and then follow the sequence replacing the offline clips as you go; when a clip is trimmed for the sequence, trim the actual clip you imported, then replace using it or a subclip from it.

Return to posts index

felix martizRe: Avid AAF to Premiere Pro
by on Feb 25, 2016 at 2:09:26 am

I shot on the red, transcoded the ama link to edit on avid 8.3. Got picture lock and then relinked the red footage. Exported an AAF and Premiere doesn't acknoledge any video files just audio. Tried the work around and took that same AAF to resolve, which it reads fine and then export a new AFF from there to send to Premiere. Premiere this time around read some video files but not all of them. The pictures attached is what I see with my many failed attempts to have the AAF imported to Premiere. If anyone can suggest another work around or any help, I'd really appreciate it. Specially since I have been on the phone with AVID Support for the last week and they finally caved in today saying there was no way to resolve the issue. Please help me.

Return to posts index

Jeff HayfordRe: Avid AAF to Premiere Pro
by on Sep 15, 2016 at 10:19:06 pm

I think I found a solution that requires routing the AAF through Davinci Resolve

I too got a 12 GB AAF file from a post facility so here's the steps I took:

1.) Import the AAF file into Avid (this will create new clips in the "Avid Media Files" folder)
2.) From that linked sequence export a new AAF file (doesn't need to have embedded files)
3.) Import that new AAF file with the linked media to Davinci Resolve
4.) Export an XML file from Davinci Resolve (not fcpx)
5.) Import the XML file into Premiere Pro
6.) Media in the XML file should link to your Avid Media Files folder not the AAF
7.) Move the Avid Media Files into your properly organized PPro project folder (optional burn to Avid users)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved