ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

not rate stretch if effect?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Engelkemiernot rate stretch if effect?
by on Dec 2, 2014 at 3:42:24 pm

I have fast color corrector on a clip. If it is turned on, the rate stretch tool won't work on it. It shows the correct icon, as if it will work, but you click and it won't allow you to drag.

Then I turn off fast color corrector, and it works fine.

The same thing goes for if there is a dissolve, which makes a Little more sense, but still seems like a big pain in the rear.

Is there something I'm missing? I'm far from an expert.

Return to posts index

Michael KrupnickRe: not rate stretch if effect?
by on Dec 3, 2014 at 12:16:42 pm

Yes you are. Pr is telling you a clip under construction (like a change in frame number or length) is not ready for an effect. It's actually your mistake in workflow and the computer is warning you that you can't do it that way. 90% of "wot the hell?" moments are operator errors, not bugs. Software interaction means learning its way of speaking and listening carefully.

Return to posts index

Andy EngelkemierRe: not rate stretch if effect?
by on Dec 3, 2014 at 12:45:43 pm

How is PR telling me something? What am I missing? My point is, it's not showing me Anything. It's just not working.

And the funny thing is, sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.
example: The clip i was talking about wouldn't work. I turned off the effect and I could rate stretch. I turned it back on and off a couple times to confirm.
I then went to a different clip for a minute, then came back. It then allowed me to rate stretch With the effect applied and turned on.

So what exactly am I doing wrong in my workflow?

Return to posts index

Andy EngelkemierRe: not rate stretch if effect?
by on Dec 4, 2014 at 1:52:10 pm

So I figured out the majority of the problem.

1. if it won't rate stretch, which seems to happen often enough, just change something about the clip like turn the effect on/off. Maybe click on another one, then come back. This has worked every single time other than clips with transitions on them.

2. transitions. By default, you'd think you can't change the rate of those clips. But wait, there's more! You literally have to put your mouse in the Tiny space in the clip between the top or bottom of the clip on the timeline and the effect itself. With that mouse pointer, it's somewhat difficult to tell where that point on the mouse is, and you get No feedback as to whether or not it's going to work. But you can just make that row in the timeline taller. (you can hold alt and scrollwheel over any part on the left side of the timeline, which is easier than trying to move the edge manually).

So it seems no part of my workflow is actually causing a problem. It appears that there May be a bug because in most cases, a clip will stretch after simply turning something off then back on again. What it Actually appears to be are a few poor UI choices by Adobe (no big surprise). One example of poor UI choices is just looking at AE, PR, and Audition. They All have timelines, but all 3 have different interactions for moving around the timeline.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved