ADOBE PREMIERE PRO: Tutorials Forum Articles Podcasts Basics Forum Creative Cloud Debate

Red Epic footage and Premiere Pro CS6 workflow

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hannah SanderRed Epic footage and Premiere Pro CS6 workflow
by on Dec 1, 2014 at 6:47:31 pm

I'm looking for some advice or insight regarding working with RED footage in CS6.

In the past, I've worked with native RED footage on CS5.5 with no hiccups whatsoever. I'm not sure if it's just Epic footage, my computer's processing power or updates within CS6, but RED footage has become uneditable for me.

After I updated to Yosemite, I began experiencing problems with being unable to import RED Epic footage due to "unsupported or corrupt files," and when I tried to fix the problem with the Adobe Labs plugins, it reported a "generic importer failure."

I then uninstalled and re-downloaded CS6, and now I can get footage into my project, but I can get no playback at all! Both the source and program monitors remain frozen on a frame and then have the yellow "Media Pending" screen. When I attempt to render a clip in my timeline (RED HD 4K 23.58 sequence) I get an "error compiling movie" box. I've tried other sequence settings, but still no dice.

I have my source monitor playback set to 1/2 resolution and my program monitor set to 1/4 resolution. Still nothing.

Here are my computer specs:
MacPro 2010
OS X 10.10.1
2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon Processor
32GB Memory
ATI Radeon HD 5870 GPU
Blackmagic Intensity Pro (Desktop Video 10.2.3)

I know that I can process the footage in REDCINE-X Pro (which will take a million hours), but I have a major project that is all shot with RED Epic footage and I was counting on Premiere's ability to edit natively, since I'm kind of on a tight schedule.

Am I looking at some hardware upgrades? If anyone has any advice, I'd really appreciate it!

Return to posts index

Kevin MonahanRe: Red Epic footage and Premiere Pro CS6 workflow
by on Dec 1, 2014 at 7:48:00 pm

Hi Hannah,
This should work. The potential issues I see are:

1. Update to the most recent version of CS6.
2. Make sure your GPU has more than 768 VRAM.
3. Try a previously installed version of OS X.

Kevin Monahan
Support Product Manager—DVA
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Hannah SanderRe: Red Epic footage and Premiere Pro CS6 workflow
by on Dec 1, 2014 at 9:01:15 pm

Thanks for the reply!

I realized when I re-installed it reverted me back to version 6.0.0. I updated to 6.0.5, but nothing has changed. Also, my VRAM is 1024 Mb, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I'm hesitant to revert to an old operating system because updating to Yosemite fixed a ton of Premiere issues I was already having. (It's impossible to win all battles, isn't it?)

I'm wondering if I just need to talk to my boss about upgrading my system. It's an old computer, and perhaps the hardware is outdated? It wasn't initially built for 4K editing, and since we're going to hopefully be doing more and more 4K projects, perhaps some new hardware is in order.

However, I've been researching and it seems like this system should at least be able to handle 4K. Am I totally wrong?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved